· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sabbath during Jesus time.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Sabbath during Jesus time.

Dear brethren/sisters!

I have a friend which is a Seventh Day adventist. In the past he had brought up the issue of following the sabbat to me a few times, but as I had not done any study on it I could not counter it and I simply did not discuss it with him.

Obviously he wants people and friends from church to follow the sabbath. If I talk about wordliness entering our church he agrees, but I know he thinks about the sabbath how not following that is wordliness. I refuse to simply read some books he has about it which obviously point to the sabbath as I rather dive in the Bible.

I have already did some study about it and found some interresting stuff. I've also collected some questions which popped up in my mind.

- On which days are the synagogs open?
- Did Jesus only teach on sabbath in the synagogs?
- Alot of human influences already existed during the time when Jesus was on earth, for example the talmoed. (spelling?) How did the people in Jesus time follow the sabbath?
- How did the people during Moses time (after the ten commandments given) follow the sabbath? (I want to see of the SDA exactly follow the sabbath as pointed out in the OT or if they have inserted 'human influences' in it. My suspicion is that they don't)

Perhaps someone can help me out with this as I don't know much about habits and customs from the past. :-)

During my study I've also collected some (confronting) questions to the SDA guy.
Plus a bunch of Bibletexts which don't seem to point to having to keep the sabbath.

Another question I have is about the centurion from Kafernaum in Luke 8. This guy built the synagog for the Jews and they loved him. Jesus remarks in verse 10 and 11 that He has not found one in Israel who had such great faith as this centurion. (Story about his slave being very sick)

This guy was obviously a heathen and it seems unlikely to me that he follow the sabbath even though he built the synagog. Can anyone shed some light on this? As to my current knowledge only the Jews follow the sabbath correct?

Perhaps I'll post the rest of my findings later if required. :-)

God bless,
Jonathan

2006/3/28 11:13Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Sabbath during Jesus time.

Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day [alike]. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth [it] unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard [it]. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

2006/3/28 11:45Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Hey PreachParsly,

Well he is out to persuade other people about the sabbath. Besides I am finding out (which is also good for me to know) why we as Christians don't need to keep the sabbath.

Its not just a case of having a 'sunday' on saterday but really following the sabbath.
Keeping the sabbath has nothing to do with salvation, the Jews in Israel still had to repent. Or am I misguided now?

Only recently I felt moved to do a study on this as I haven't bothered with it for months.
You say I should just leave this?

God bless!

2006/3/28 12:29Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

My Pastor is a former SDA and he has a web site outreach to the SDA church. I'm not sure if the site has all that you are looking for but it may be of some help in your studies.

[url=http://www.sdaoutreach.org/]SDA Outreach[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2006/3/28 12:33Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Thanks for the link Ron!
I'll try to download the site so I can view it at home. (have no internet there)

2006/3/28 13:14Profile
My_Daughter

Re: JESUS Lord of the Sabbath

Peace and Greeting in the Name of Jesus Christ and to all the Saints in
Corinth, Ephesus, Galatia, Colossi, Philip, Rome, Thessalonica, In Judea and Samaria

To: Warrior 4 Jesus In the Light.

Where much is given much is required, and he has graced you with much knowledge.

I am not at liberty to expound/contribute and or elaborate as freely as others DO on SI.

My Husband and I have been seeing a Therapist who has been walking with us through some very difficult times, challenging if you will. You see my Husband wants to have a baby, but I am very interested in waiting. Some may say that I have mastered the Art

We went to see the Therapist who referred us to a Doctor who examined me and told me I was pregnated approximately 3mths ago in January

For the most part My husband is very Kind and Gentle towards me, and if I tell him that I am pregnant I know he will be Extremely aware of my every need, he has this notion that HE must meet every need that I have, can you image that. A husband that is at my beck and call every time something hurts, or when I slip.

He is so good to me, that sometimes I have to tell him baby no, let me bless you; let me do something for you. I may not have much to give, but I will give you my heart. I am reading this book its a huge book made up of 33 other books compiled all together, when I am finished as the Spirit of the Lord leads I want to bless you, because I love you.

He was so blessed with my words that now every where I walk he is right there next to me.

I TOLD HIM; honey there is a seminar going on at the University of Philadelphia that I am so eager to attend. It is 3 xss a week. Honey they are going to be speaking about YOU and the topic is JESUS Lord of the Sabbath. I love to hear them speak about YOU, it just make me fall more in love with you.

But he said No I AM going to watch over you and I promise you that once you have given birth. I will not stand in your way of attending these seminars that are so encouraging. I know how much they bless you and strengthen you, but I want you to wait. Wait on Me.

2006/3/28 15:59Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Hi My_daughter,

That gives me something to think about.
I will put this before the Lord to see where I stand and if its really so.

Be blessed!
Jonathan

2006/3/29 9:12Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Hey my-daughter!

Alto I can't directly identidy me with your story as I'm not the same, (else show me Lord) there is still a good lesson te be learned out.

Quote:
but I want you to wait. Wait on Me.

Wait upon the Lord.. as I felt the urge to do this study during prayer I will continue it. If the Lord wants, I will confront this guy with it in His way and His time!

2006/4/1 13:01Profile
ServantToGod

Re: Sabbath.

Grace and Peace be with you.

Hello, I saw your question about your friend who is SDA. I just want to mention that going to church on the sabbath is biblical. Just because you don't does not mean you're going to go to hell or lose your salvation.

Yes, Jesus the son of God did go to church on the sabbath. There are 4 ways to tell which day the sabbath is. It's on Saturday. It is not the Jewish Sabbath as some call it. As Genesis 2:2-3 says the Seventh-Day which is the Sabbath. Way before any Jew was born. Read Exodus 20. Keep the Sabbath day holy. Most of everyone keeps 9 of the Ten Commandments. However, why have so many people forgotten keeping the sabbath. It is the only one where he says remember it. That is Satan's goal is to attack God's law which defines God's character and love.

If you read James 4:17, you will see that if you know to do good than keep it. You know the verse where God says to whom much is given much is expected or required. If God tells you about the Sabbath. Then you have been given privileged information. Please don't take my word for it, read God's word. Also read Isaiah 66:24. All of God's creation will come before him to worship on the Sabbath. Now isn't that something. If you don't do it now, you will one day.

May the God and the Holy Spirit of Communion be with you that love the LORD Jesus Christ. Amen

2011/3/10 20:36Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

A good study of the sabbath comes from the book of Hebrews.

Heb 4:4-11 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. (5) And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. (6) Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: (7) Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. (8) For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. (9) There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. (10) For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. (11) Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

The sabbath of the law was a picture of a reality that was ushered in by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. For a born again believer the sabbath has nothing to do with a day of the week. I have heard many argue over the old testament sabbath and the new testament "Lord's day". Saturday? Sunday? Both are irrelevant.

Col 2:16-17 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: (17) Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Rom 14:5-6 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. (6) He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

The sabbath was a picture of resting from your own labors, your own works just as Christ did from His and is a resting and striving issue. We enter into the rest of Christ, the sabbath rest, when we cease from our own labors and instead walk by faith in what Jesus accomplished for us. It is a rest of faith and freedom from works. The original picture of this rest, the sabbath day of the law, was always about the obedience of faith.

Rom 16:25-26 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, (26) But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

You see, the law held a mystery in the thing it was a shadow or picture of, and now that mystery is revealed to us. That mystery was the Gospel and the atoning work of Christ that brought us righteousness by grace through faith, not of works and law-keeping. The obedience we now have is one of faith, not of works. But the picture, the sabbath, both the day which Israel prided themselves in and the year which they never kept because of their unbelief that God could provide for them even through a year of allowing the land to rest.

Lev 26:32-35 And I will bring the land into desolation: and your enemies which dwell therein shall be astonished at it. (33) And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste. (34) Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, as long as it lieth desolate, and ye be in your enemies' land; even then shall the land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths. (35) As long as it lieth desolate it shall rest; because it did not rest in your sabbaths, when ye dwelt upon it.

God judged the people of Israel for this lack of faith and the land experienced the sabbath years that Israel had lacked the faith to keep.

It is about a walk of faith, and it always has been. So for a new testament believer to wrangle over the day of the week is to miss,I believe, a very significant part of what the Gospel is all about.

Is it a good idea to take one day of seven to rest and to focus our attention on God? Absolutely. I am 100% for it and would advise it wholeheartedly, but not because believe it is commanded that I do so, but rather because it strengthens me both physically and spiritually. But the sabbath is about the rest of a walk of faith.

2011/3/10 21:48Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy