Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : I am confused

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

I am confused

I have read 2 books by Tozer and have found them to be very enlightening and scripturally accurate, but I have a problem with his support of Catholic mystics, i.e. Madame Guyon, Frederic W. Faber(a Roman Catholic priest),etc. I know Tozer was one of the leading men of God in the 20th century, but [i]WHY[/i] would he have anything to do with the Whore of revelation? [please note that I am not trying to stir up controversy, I am just curious.]

2006/3/27 14:42Profile
openairboy

Re: I am confused

Do you really think you can use rhetoric like that and not seek to be controversial? The whole intent of that rhetoric, especially when the same question can be asked without it, is controversy.

Well, give your assumptions, I assume you think there is no benefit to Roman Catholic Church, so no answer will satisfy your curious mind.

openairboy

2006/3/27 14:47Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

No need to be so prickly. All you need to do is read Rev. 17 to see that the Roman Catholic Church is the Whore mentioned there.

2006/3/27 14:54Profile
brentw

Ohio

I for one love reading the mystics by Tozer. Tozer compiled a book of his favorite mystics. They were very solid. Read my signature at the bottom...its a quote by a mystic :-o

Are you from the church of God??

2006/3/27 15:00Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

My main contention is that the R.C. church is anti-christian. So why would a born again believer be associated with a religion that venerates images, calls the pope God on earth, teaches that you can become God etc.?
(I do not belong to any church)

2006/3/27 15:03Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: Confused ????

Did Tozer teach these things ?

2006/4/29 19:52Profile
dohzman

Re:

I think we often throw the baby out with the bath water. To say the RC is a corrupt church system and has had alot of error, prehaps even heresy, is a true statement, could be said of almost all denominations todate. I also believe that God in His infinite wisdom has always had a remenant within the RC church, and that voice being there , much like the prophets of old in the midst of Israel, has not ceased, we have so many treasures available to us from these godly men and women, and these are good for the use of our edification and confirmation. I lost my train of thought so I'm going to just go ahead n post this eventhrough it's not finished and my thoughts are just kinda hangin there. God Bless

2006/4/29 20:07Profile
dullrainbow

Iowa U.S.

Hi drifter,
Madame Guyon would not confess to any prist, I challenge you to read her book, Experiencing the Depts of Jesus Christ. A lot has been said of dieing to self, she teaching in this book just how to do this. I have tested and tried her teaching and found it to work, and agree with her that this methods need to be taught from the pulpit. There is nothing "spooky" about this women or Frederic Faber! Her books were banned and burned, and she was cast into prison by the Bishop of her day.
I read Andrew Murrey's Absolute Surrender, then a year later read Experiencing the Depts of Jesus Christ by Madame Guyon, it was very clear to me that even with the 200 year span they both loved, and adored the same Saviour with the fervent (hot;molten) love Peter said one should have.
Search it out for yourself, after all you were promised, to know the truth and that the truth would set you free.
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/guyon/prayer.ii.html
Here is a shorter version of the above mentioned book titled, A Short and Easy Method of Prayer at the Christian Classics Ethereal Library website.
Eileen

2006/4/29 23:10Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Mystics

This might be of some help;

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=3789&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go]Christian mysticism[/url]

*Edit; This may keep you more busy than is warrented, but it's a great thread all on it's own;

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=7778&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go]Quakers, old and new, and the 'inner light'[/url]

2006/4/29 23:58Profile
zoecarnate

Re:

Christ-centered mystics get a bad rap in some evangelical quarters but this need not be so--we live by the means of an indwelling Lord! See [url=http://zoecarnate.com/#rev]this[/url] for some examples of faithful Christian mystics.

2006/6/6 1:00Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy