Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Seeking Advice

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Seeking Advice

SI members,

I have mentioned before that my wife believes in the prosperity preachers and her parents as well. I think they are preaching another gospel. It is difficult for us to come together in the faith because we each think the other is wrong. I can't in good conscience sit back while my wife is being deceived.

That is the problem, when we do attempt to talk about the word a disagreement surfaces. Most often ending with personal attacks from her about how I don't know about the "Full Gospel" as she puts it. She has been a believer in this message her whole life (she is 25) and I have been a believer in suffering for the gospel for three years. I have tried to tell her that "Godliness with contentment is great gain" but she believes we are meant to have more.

The point is I am unsure how to talk to her about this. I am hoping someone on here may have some similar story or experiences that they can relate to me. I will continue to pray for her and not compromise my beliefs. Hopefully we can start reading the word together and the Spirit can reveal to both of us where we are lacking.

Murray

2006/3/23 11:36Profile
Logic

Re: Seeking Advice

ask her to preach her doctrine to the christians in poor countries(you know the places) and tell all the christians in them conutries that the [b]all[/b] have week faith for being that poor.

In other words, if you cant preach your doctrine everywhere, then in isn't true.

Ask your wife about her favorite T.V. pastors. Do they get rich off the Church;
[b]Eze. 34:2[/b] Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, prophesy, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD unto the shepherds; Woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! should not the shepherds feed the flocks?
and
[b]Zec 11:4[/b] The LORD my God said to me, "Act the part of the shepherd of a flock of sheep that are going to be butchered.
Zec 11:5 Their owners(pastors) kill them(the church) and go unpunished. They sell the meat(the tithes from the chruch) and say, 'Praise the LORD! We are rich!' Even their own shepherds have no pity on them."

Perenthesies are my words

2006/3/23 12:01Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Hi Murdog,

I have never gone along with the whole 'prosperity' message (so-called) or name it and claim it; but I do believe the scripture is clear on giving that God will also bless.

Necessary, therefore, I thought 'it' to exhort the brethren, that they may go before to you, and may make up before your formerly announced blessing, that this be ready, as a blessing, and not as covetousness. And this: [u]He who is sowing sparingly, sparingly also shall reap; and he who is sowing in blessings, in blessings also shall reap; [/u] each one, according as he doth purpose in heart, not out of sorrow or out of necessity, for a cheerful giver doth God love, (II Cor 9 YLT)

There is no need to go overboard as if it were spiritual to cut truths out of the scriptures meant to supply us with the full counsel of God just because some have taken this to extreme and even falsehood.

Poverty does not = 'spiritual'. Covetousness is a sin- not possessions. The question is, what is God doing in my life and what does He want done with the stuff HE has given me? Am I serving God or Mammon? What is my attitude towards money? Can I lend and not ask for it back? :-o Can I give expecting nothing in return? Do I get hostile about money? A person can be as poor as dirt and Mammon [i]still[/i] be their God. How is that? They compromise Christ's teachings about money and predicate their life on profit and loss and not the Spirit of God.

Having had several years of TBN and the whole group, I can say that God led me to the truth about riches. He will also lead any open heart that desires to know the truth. I would use caution so as not to create too much friction over this issue. Pray for the wisdom of God and that God would also do the changing. Perhaps He has some things to share with you also in your understanding? I know for certain that God blesses cheerful givers [u]who are content[/u]. They often have more to give as He blesses and they remain [u]content[/u]. ;-) It is more blessed to give than to receive.

God Bless,

Robert

2006/3/23 12:29Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
The point is I am unsure how to talk to her about this. I am hoping someone on here may have some similar story or experiences that they can relate to me.

I am going through something similar to your experience. My wife believes in "another gospel", the Roman Catholic gospel. We too often talk about the word and end in disagreement. At one point a few months ago my 9 year old daughter told me that she wished mommy and me went to the same church and didn't argue about religion. I was cut to the quick.

I struggle and pray through this with you brother and I can share what I believe the Lord has shown me what I should focus on. First, it is important that she know she is accepted regardless of her doctrine. That doesn't mean you are compromising your doctrine, it means you just love her unconditionally.

Second, when discussing and studying Scripture together, try to focus on matters of the heart, of yielding to the will of God. "My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways."(Pro 23:26). A full yeilding of the heart paves the way for our eyes to see and our minds to know the true ways of God. As Jesus said, "[b]If any man will do his will[/b], he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." (Joh 7:17)

In Christ,

Ron

2006/3/23 13:01Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Thank you for your thought provoking and heartfelt answers. This is very important to me and my family. I am going to keep loving her unconditionally. I trust the Lord will guide both of us into a deeper relationship with Him and each other. Thank you again.

Murray

2006/3/23 14:30Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Blessings to you Murray,

I pray that the Holy Spirit will give you great wisdom because this is a very delicate situation.

The Lord has been dealing with my heart for some time about belongings. If I'm truly given over to Christ, aren't my belongings His?

My wife and I don't see exactly eye-to-eye on this but I know the Lord is working on both our hearts to see it through His eyes. I'm not saying that you need to sell all and follow Jesus as the rich young ruler was told by Jesus but that's certainly an option. The apostle Peter on the other hand, apparently owned a home and a business but everything was submitted to Jesus and it was His choice what was done.

The only way I've seen these conflicts worked out in my own marriage is that Jesus has stepped in and it's required significant amounts of time in the prayer closet and that's what I would suggest.

I used whine to God and complain to the Lord about my wife on some issues of disagreement and what happens now is that as I bring my concerns to Him he convicts me of my own sin and then steps in miraculously to change her heart.

I pray this is helpful to you...

2006/3/24 17:50Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy