SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did God Allow Polygamy?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Did God Allow Polygamy?

If God did allow polygamy, why? Can we come up with a reason why that doesn't sound silly, or pandering to cultural concerns at that time? And if there are reasons that aren't silly, do those reasons exist today?

2015/7/22 9:38Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: Did God Allow Polygamy?

He allowed, but did not design it. Just like Jesus said Moses (under God) permitted divorce, but it was not that way from the beginning.

Why allow polygamy? Because of the hardness of their hearts because there was so much out of God's order that I believe God was taking a progressive restoration of things back into human understanding. This was something He would deal with later, while He dealt with other issues.

Today we want the best of God's plan, not looking for options around it. Jesus said "In the beginning God made man and woman and a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave unto his wife and the TWO shall become ONE flesh". He did not say three or four become one flesh. This is the final revelation and how God originally designed it to be.

Even in more New Testament times slavery was accepted and dealt with as something that just existed. That does not mean God condoned it or wanted it and eventually man came to see this was not a Godly way to treat another person.

2015/7/22 10:25Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I certainly agree that polygamy is not for today. But when we say that God allowed something that was sin, it SEEMS like he has some sort of a sliding scale on sin, as in polygamy- not so bad; adultery or idolatry (or God forbid picking up sticks on the Sabbath) absolutely not.

2015/7/22 10:36Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Maybe you need to put that question to the LORD and see what He says to you.

I would be interested in what He says. Honestly!

2015/7/22 10:39Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I certainly agree that polygamy is not for today. But when we say that God allowed something that was sin, it SEEMS like he has some sort of a sliding scale on sin, as in polygamy- not so bad; adultery or idolatry (or God forbid picking up sticks on the Sabbath) absolutely not.

I totally agree with the answer that Dave gave. God did not count polygamy as a sin in Old Covenant. It is a sin only in New Covenant. Even in Old Covenant there was a man called Job who made covenant with his eyes so that it does not lust after a virgin women. Job lived in a period before Moses or Abraham, and there was no law. But he knew that God did not like him to be unfaithful to his wife.

God did not design polygamy but permitted it and did not count it as sin because men were totally powerless against lust of their flesh in sexual matter. Hence God permitted them to marry to satisfy their lusts. Our God never made unrealistic expectations.

But in New Covenant, we have grace through Jesus Christ. We have the spirit of God living inside us. Hence it is possible to exercise self control. Now with this provision, if we still indulge in polygamy then we have only ourselves to blame.

2015/7/22 11:04Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

TMK,

When we say "allow" do we mean "permitted and sanctioned" or "gave room for and did not intervene to override human will". Epitrepo (permit, Matthew 19:8) is in the sense of the latter. It has the same sort of permission as 1 Samuel 8 when God tells Samuel to "listen to the voice of the people". The hearts of the people being hard and so desiring their own way that God leaves them to their desires, God hears the demands and permits them.

So, in context, it seem that we slide the covers over our heads, so to speak. 😊

The end of it is death. God gives people over to their desires. I think of this passage from Psalm 107:

10 There were those who dwelt in darkness and in the shadow of death,
Prisoners in misery and chains,
11 Because they had rebelled against the words of God
And spurned the counsel of the Most High.
12 Therefore He humbled their heart with labor;
They stumbled and there was none to help.
13 Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble;
He saved them out of their distresses.
14 He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death
And broke their bands apart.
15 Let them give thanks to the Lord for His lovingkindness,
And for His wonders to the sons of men!
16 For He has shattered gates of bronze
And cut bars of iron asunder.
17 Fools, because of their rebellious way,
And because of their iniquities, were afflicted.
18 Their soul abhorred all kinds of food,
And they drew near to the gates of death.
19 Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble;
He saved them out of their distresses.
20 He sent His word and healed them,
And delivered them from their destructions.
21 Let them give thanks to the Lord for His lovingkindness,
And for His wonders to the sons of men!
22 Let them also offer sacrifices of thanksgiving,
And tell of His works with joyful singing.

2015/7/22 11:21Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Sree wrote:

"God did not design polygamy but permitted it and did not count it as sin because men were totally powerless against lust of their flesh in sexual matter. Hence God permitted them to marry to satisfy their lusts. Our God never made unrealistic expectations. "

This is the answer that makes the most honest sense- that God didn't consider it sin at all. I had never thought about this in that vein because I never considered that something could be a sin now that wasn't in prior times. If that concept is true it does explain some things.

2015/7/22 11:44Profile
romanchog

Re:

"Jesus hrist is the same yesterday, today, and forever." Heb 13:8

The thought of saying, "that did not used to be a sin, but now it is" does not fit in the context of scripture. Our God is a Holy God, Who has always been Holy and always will be. He does not change His mind. That would imply that He is changing and then we cannot trust what He has to say for today. He is the SAME always.

In matters like this, I like to go back to what Jesus said when they asked Him about divorce. He stated,"Have you not read that He who made them AT THE BEGINNING ‘made them male and female.' Mat 19:4. And then He stated: "but FROM THE BEGINNING it was not so." Mat 19:8

He was explaining that to God, divorce has always been a sin; look back at the beginning and see the plan of God.

This applies here as well. In THE BEGINNING he made only ONE man and ONE woman. That is His plan. Anything outside of God's plan is sin. Just because He did not strike down everyone who was a polygamist or because nothing is outrightly stated on it does not mean that God did not count it as sin.

If we even use logic, let us look at the institution of divorce. If polygamy was ok, what is the need for divorce? The man could just marry another woman and have two (or more) wives.

When we do not understand something, let us first look to the character of God before we start trying to explain it. I do not know why God permitted many things to happen that are written for us in the Bible, and even many of the commands that He gives. But I have to remember that God is God, and He is infinitely wise and I have to trust in that. We should take care not to create strange doctrines.

In Christ,

Natalie

2015/7/23 9:04Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Natalie-

What you are stating is what I have always thought. However it doesn't seem to square with the facts. I mean, God seemed to bless Jacobs marriage to both Leah and Rachel. He formed the nation is Israel out of those unions.

I agree this is difficult. If slavery was sin (and we certainly would think so today) why did God give laws to Moses on how to deal with slaves, instead of just saying "one person may not own another?" After all, His chosen people were brutalized in slavery for 400 years. If anyone should have been against slavery it should have been the Hebrews. And Paul never forbade the practice either, and surely God had his ear.

2015/7/23 9:57Profile
romanchog

Re:

In the same vein, if divorce is sin (and even in the old testament the Lord makes clear that this is so) why did God give rules on how to divorce your wife?

2015/7/23 10:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy