SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Support : Notifications for Posts (Threads and Replies)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Koheleth

NC

Notifications for Posts (Threads and Replies)

On a variety of other websites, I have become quite used to some type of notification system, either email or on-site alert, when a reply is made to a thread that I have posted to (whether I started the thread or am just involved in it). Some systems allow you to choose to follow a topic even if you don't post, thereby eliminating "comment clutter" for those who want to follow but don't have a thought to post (and some even allow to opt-out). But leaving this more advanced functionality, I would find it great to have some way to track the threads I have posted to. Greg and others, has this been evaluated or considered for SermonIndex? I find that conversations I am involved in on SI get lost because I have no good way to track or follow up on the replies. What are your thoughts?

2015/7/22 11:41Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Notifications for Posts (Threads and Replies)

Dear brother,

Greetings, we did have that functionality on the site for the first few years but as we researched things we made a decision to have have any email associated with the domain or use the server for email related activities, ie notifications. It was a security choice. In some ways our inbox's get too cluttered with all these notices and it is nice to just check the site when you have a period of time to do so.

We also encourage thoughtful posting not reactionary very quick posts. But of course as you mention there are positives to the notifications, at this time we are not implementing it back.

thanks for your prayers as we try and make the best decisions possible.

2015/7/22 13:58Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

I understand. Anyone have a way to keep track of threads you have posted to? Sometimes they are not responded to for a long time. I guess that means there isn't a way other than loading the link for every thread you have ever posted to. In any case, thanks for all of your work Greg, and whoever else for keeping the site running.

2015/7/22 14:42Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Koholeth,

Off topic.

I like your user name.

Just this past week listened to a FANTASTIC one hour survey of Ecclesiastes by Peter Boyee of Trail Christian Fellowship in Oregon. He uses the name throughout his lesson as the writer of Ecclesiastes (the Hebrew name for the book/author). I would post the link to it for everyone, but I don't want to violate the guidelines on links, etc.

(Which, bro Greg, at one point you'd mentioned perhaps checking into Booye's materials for inclusion on SI. Don't know if you were able to get to it or what any permission or denial may have been. Super stuff, though. Very much in the vein of Calvary Chapel/Chuck Smith.)

2015/7/22 14:48Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Hi dolfan,

Couldn't find that message by Peter Boyee. Too bad the moderators can't just remove/delete improper links or give permission in cases like this. It's the internet after all.

Moderators, maybe you can have a discussion on how to allow some information sharing in these forums. Thanks for all of your work and oversight to keep things running.

2015/7/24 15:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy