SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : New York Fellowship - Reformed?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
openairboy

New York Fellowship - Reformed?

Hi,

I live in NYC and looking for some solid Reformed fellowship. I attend a PCA church, but looking for a group of Reformed bretheren with zeal for prayer and God to be glorified. Are there any "Piperites" (John Piper) on this board in NY? Especially prayer meetings on Friday or Saturday nights?

I don't want to sound like an exclusivist punk by suggesting Reformed, but I realize the breadth of brothers and sisters on this board. Grace and peace to all who call on the name of Jesus.

openairboy

2006/3/22 0:07Profile

Re: New York Fellowship - Reformed?

Hi openairboy.

Not trying to get rid of you for your reformed theology or anything :-D ... Truthfully ... but I know where you may successfully have your question answered.

Try http://www.basictheology.com/forums/

Ken the Administrator is a big Piper fan and a 5 pointer. Very nice guy ... despite all'a that. HA.
Seriously, very good brother.

You could pose your question in the Open Discussion forum or somewhere.
Wherever there's the most activity. Which actually would be General Theology on there.

But just make sure you hind tail back here.
All they do is "talk" over there ... 8-) ... actually "debate" is more like it.

That's all you wind up doing, is going around and around on Soteriology and Predestination FOREVER.
Then you'll come to your senses and come back here running for the classic meat. ;-) !!!

2006/3/22 5:08

Re: N.Y ?

Openairboy, It's been bugging me, that I wanted to ask you ... how come being in NY that you don't attend Times Square Church ?

You don't have to answer that if you don't want to.
My curiosity won't kill me ... I don't think. :-?

Thanks.

2006/3/22 6:44
openairboy

Re:

MeAgain,

Thank you very much for your two responses.

1. I am of a different persuasion than Times Square. I attend a more "liturgical" church in Brooklyn. I like hymns, Lord's Supper, etc., and worship service with clear movements, i.e. call, confession of sin, sermon, giving, Lord's Supper, benediction.

2. Yea, I am not that interested in debating predestination, ordo salutis, etc. I am, however, looking for some bretheren that call on the Lord with a pure heart. I have enjoyed the fellowship of some "piperian" brothers, so I would like to find some more in a similar vein.

I realize a board like this attracts a broad spectrum of brothers and sisters, so, being in NY, may cause me to go more broad in my approach...

Thanks,

openairboy

2006/3/22 12:35Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re:

1. I am of a different persuasion than Times Square.

[size=x-large][color=FF3333][font=Verdana]?[/font][/color][/size]

2006/3/22 15:26Profile

Re: Just don't leave here. :)

Hi openairboy,

It doesn't matter to me about what Church you go to in NY ... I just thought I'd ask that maybe you were in another part of NY or something.

Down where we live ... now you're gonna laugh at this ... but we tried so many of the local Churches, till finally my husband got fed up with most of the stuff going on, that now he just visits the PCA down the road. Ha.

We're not reformed and we're pentecostal, but he just got tired of searching for some expository teaching/preaching and he can overlook mentions of Geneva now and then :-) ... but this PCA has a massive Missions Program, that we really stand behind and they do get "meatier" with their sermons.
The others we tried to attend, would mostly only know how to yell, "Can I hear an Amen ?", at a deafening pitch. Hoy !

But I think we are One Body ... and though we were raised the same way Wilkerson was and is, we can visit our brothers Churches, be it Baptist, Methodist, Presby, Full Gospel and feel freed from the Denominational thing now.

Praise God, no denominations in Heaven or the New Earth.

God Bless your search ... but don't get snagged over there with Ken's gang now ... remember to come back here [u]always[/u].
It's much Richer here. :-D

2006/3/22 18:15
openairboy

Re:

Smokey,

No offense, but the ? would not be necessary if you continued the thought, i.e. "I attend a more "liturgical" church in Brooklyn. I like hymns, Lord's Supper, etc., and worship service with clear movements, i.e. call, confession of sin, sermon, giving, Lord's Supper, benediction."

openairboy

2006/3/22 19:09Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re:

Sorry for the abruptness of the question mrk, but as I read your post, all I could think to do was shrug my shoulders..
I have been attending a Pentecostal church for 12 years, and have been very comfortable with everything about it. However 18 monts ago they brought in the Purpose Driven program, and substatuted that for a fresh inspired weekly message. I have left and am now attending a small Baptist church, and it has been a real culture shock, but they still open thier bible(KJV) every service and preach the word.. I was amazed that churches still had Hymn books, let alone sing out of them. My experience in listening to the Times Square Pastors is that they are still dedicated to listening to, and preaching God's word. In todays scramble for the numbers churches, that is very rare.

Just out of curiosity, reformed from what, to what?
Greg ;-)

2006/3/22 23:29Profile
openairboy

Re:

Hey Greg,

Why shrug your shoulders? Are you saying worship does not matter? Doctrine does not matter?

"Reformed" is a generic term for Calvinistic teaching and the Geneva reformation. So, it is reformed from the semi-Pelagianism of 15th century Roman Catholicism and modern Arminianism.

openairboy

2006/3/23 0:56Profile

Re:

openairboy,

I don't think you intended to turn this into a doctrinal debate, like this thread
with [url=http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=be928c097985308a9f7a18d614c937bd&t=24611&page=1&pp=15]close to 1,500 replies.[/url] Can you imagine that ? :lol:

Ya know, truthfully, these same folks have been on both of these I gave you for YEARS, still going around and around on the SAME topics. Honest, I belonged to both back in 2002/2003.

That's when I started to question what Christianity was all about. I was new to computers then, and thought, "Oh goodie-goodie, Christian Fellowship" ... Haaaa ... more like Christian Meat-Grinders.

You think I'm bad .... Haaaa .... I'm a limp noodle. These two allow fighting and name calling.
Hoy Vey ... like Roman Coliseum Gladiator fights.

I think Smokey meant no harm. It's individual preference, that's all and why I posted to ya.

Peace & Love & Thank God for it. ;-)

Annie

2006/3/23 3:03

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy