SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does God Speak?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
MSeaman

Michigan

Does God Speak?

I recently listened to a teaching about connecting with God. The teacher said that God doesn't speak to His people except through the Bible. I don't believe this to be true. I wanted the views of those of you who are wiser than me. Will you tell me what you believe?

The teacher quoted Hebrews 1:1 as the basis for why God doesn't speak to people anymore.

Any input will be appreciated. I am not asking this to cause division, just for more information in case my belief needs to be adjusted. Thanks.

2006/3/21 16:20Profile
dohzman

Re: Does God Speak?

I wonder how he handles the statement of Jesus where he said his sheep hear his voice? It is true however that much of what we recieve from the Lord is from His word, however, He still speaks to His children, always being consistant with His written Word and His character, but at times on a deeper more personal level. I once had a dear Older Brother in the Lord say to me about preachers, that the messages they gave to him was like a T-bone steak, you cut away the fat, remove the bone and then whats left you keep for your use! Huuummmm make me hungry just thinking about it :-) Hang in there us preachers don't know it all!

2006/3/21 16:40Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Thank you.

I appreciate your input. I wonder how a person can take a God that is the same yesterday, today and forever, and say He has changed.

2006/3/21 16:43Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

I believe that the following verse should shed some light on the subject.

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.

Greg ;-)

2006/3/21 16:49Profile

Re: Thank you.

I know a Godly man who has told me that God speaks to him audibly... so yes I believe God does speak "audibly" as well as "non-audibly". I think it depends on the person for whom God shares such a privilege with, but I don't think it's necessary. We have the Holy Spirit, which speaks and ministers to you from inside.

2006/3/21 16:49
MSeaman

Michigan

Thanks, Greg.

I appreciate your input. I believe that we do hear from God through His Spirit.

2006/3/21 16:55Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Thanks, Jordan

I am in total agreement. :-)

2006/3/21 16:57Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Thanks, Jordan

1 Corinthians 12:

8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,

How else would one receive these gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Thoughout Scripture God's voice is present...to direct the path of those who hear...

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/21 17:02Profile

Quote:
I recently listened to a teaching about connecting with God. The teacher said that God doesn't speak to His people except through the Bible.

God does not give new, extra-Biblical revelation and He does not contradict His Word... but He does speak to us today thru the Holy Spirit. But most believers today dont hear from God because they are too busy watching TV, working, etc etc and not spending any real quality time reading the Word and praying.

15 minutes of reading the Bible before you go to work is not "spending time with God". The only way someone is gonna hear from God is to make HIM the priority ALL day long. Pray without ceasing. STUDY the Word, dont just read it.

Krispy

2006/3/21 17:02
roadsign

Re: God does speak today

Quote:
The teacher said that God doesn't speak to His people except through the Bible

This sounds like a ceasationist – he probably doesn’t believe in any of the revelatory gifts, or signs, or tongues. He is wrong, and can easily be proven so.

You’ve probably heard of the many Muslims who have received Christ through dreams. At this very time, God is speaking directly to his children around the world. Often their very lives depend on their ability to hear him.

When I was ill with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, my mind was not working very well (dyslogia). I would forget the obvious, I would get lost on familiar streets, and much worse. God would often help me out by speaking directly to me. But He usually required me to do some thinking myself. For example, one day I drove away from my home and headed toward the wrong town. About a mile out I heard this, ‘Where are you going?” That grabbed my attention and I realized that I was headed in the wrong direction. I likely I would not have realized it in time, and would have been late for my appointment.

I could give you numerous examples of where God has spoken directly into my mind, or in dreams and visions – all for my own spiritual growth or to guide intercession. He usually gives me scriptures to accompany the revelatory experiences.

God is quite able to give us the exact scriptures we need for a particular situation. For example: One day I prayed for a scripture for a message I was to present in a Sunday morning service. I had been asked to “share”. Anyway, as I prayed I heard, 2 Timothy. So I waited to hear which verse. I read through the book a few times, and was frustrated because God wasn’t giving me the verse. After desperate prayer, I “got it’. He wanted me to apply the overall thought of the entire book. I was to preach the word, never mind just “share”. The reason I had been told to “share” was because I was female., but God would have none of it. I shared but also gave a word as I felt God had lead me.

“His sheep hear his voice”. That means he HAS a voice, and we can learn to recognize it.

Quote:
The only way someone is gonna hear from God is to make HIM the priority ALL day long. Pray without ceasing. STUDY the Word, dont just read it.

These words cannot be emphasized enough. As our thinking conform to God’s thinking we will be able to hear his guidance, and also discern if an impression or inner voice is from him or not.

When Samuel was a young lad, the God’s voice was rarely heard because the nation was apostate. That may very well be the case today in our western society.
Quote:
But most believers today dont hear from God because they are too busy watching TV, working, etc etc

I might add, that we have been accustomed to hearing and following our own voices so may not be able to tune in to God’s voice. The spirit is weak.
Diane

2006/3/21 18:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy