SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Mourning a Loss - Theology on Death

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yodi

Escondido, California

Mourning a Loss - Theology on Death

Working at a church has it's blessings... and it has its trials. How when one suffers it affects us all! We've had a woman in our church whose whole body was overtaken by cancer. I have precious memories of having the opportunity to pray with her a couple times at the end of last year. And those are the last memories I will carry with me. She finally died this morning. She was in such pain! There is relief and praise that God heard our prayers and was merciful. But... then there's the mourning of a lost soul from this earth. The reality that she's not here anymore. I'm never going to see her again. She's gone. That's a hard reality for me right now.

There was talk this morning about what happens when a Christian leaves their earthly body and goes to heaven. I've heard it all, and maybe even vaguely remember reading it in Scripture. But the only verse I'm sure of is the one that says to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. But what was said this morning was when we leave our body we will instantly be standing with all our loved ones in heaven. But... don't we meet the Lord alone, one-on-one first? Maybe it doesn't seem like the technicalties matter, but for some reason, they matter to me now. I don't want to just believe someone's possible wishful thinking. As much as we can gather from the truth of the Word, what does happen when we die?

2006/3/9 15:36Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: Mourning a Loss - Theology on Death

I am sorry for your loss, but remember that she is in a place now where there is no more pain no more sorrow.

Here are some Scriptures that I have found dealing with after death.

Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me [to] glory. Psalm 73:24

We are confident, [I say], and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 2 Corinthians 5:8

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, [there] ye may be also. John 14:3

They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes. Rev 7:16-17

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. 1 Corinthians 15:54

For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel; Colossians 1:5

2006/3/9 15:59Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

[b]MSeaman[/b]

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I know she's fine. There's no doubt that she's in heaven and with the Lord. Death is just always hard for those of us who are still living here on earth.

Thanks for the verses. They all sound familiar. But I'm wondering where the thought that we will be hanging out in heaven with the loved ones we knew here on earth comes from. Yeah, that's a nice idea, but is it biblically correct?

2006/3/9 16:05Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

That is a good question. I know that in 2 Samuel 12:23, David says:
But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

He is talking about the child he and Bathsheba conceived in adultery. Maybe that is where they get it.

2006/3/9 16:11Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Hmmm... I see. Yes, I remember that verse. It's not repeated in the New Testament?

Well, it's hard not to be in deep thought today. Right now the feeling is, "God never intended us to die in the first place." If death breaks our heart, how much more does death break the heart of God?

2006/3/9 19:01Profile

Re:

Yolanda, I'm sorry for you and those who dearly miss this Sister.

To be absent from the body, is to be Present With The Lord and if that applies to all, then all will see each other there.

We envy them actually. We long for the day to see Him ... and them.

Praying the Lord will comfort your heart and that of all the others who feel this loss.

Someday ... He'll wipe away all of our tears and we'll never hurt again .... all together.

Hugs in Him.
Annie

2006/3/10 2:55
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Thanks for the prayers and encouragement. Today is a nice, fresh, brand new day. The family is still in our prayers. Time will heal.

2006/3/10 11:47Profile
h2oboy

Georgia, USA

Re:

Dear Miss Yolanda,

My son went to be with the Lord ten months ago. He was 28 years old. We watched him struggle physically for more than ten years yet radiate the joy of the Lord to all who met him. His life impacted so many, but we still miss him. Here are some verses that helped us deal with his graduation.

Rev 7:9-10

9 After these things I saw, and behold, a great multitude , which no man could number, out of every nation and of (all) tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, arrayed in white robes, and palms in their hands;

10 and they cry with a great voice, saying, Salvation unto our God who sitteth on the throne, and unto the Lamb.
ASV

Rev 7:15-17

15 Therefore are they before the throne of God; and they serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall spread his tabernacle over them.

16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun strike upon them, nor any heat:

17 for the Lamb that is in the midst of the throne shall be their shepherd, and shall guide them unto fountains of waters of life: and God shall wipe away every tear from their eyes.
ASV

1 Thess 4:14-16

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also that are fallen asleep in Jesus will God bring with him .

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we that are alive, that are left unto the coming of the Lord, shall in no wise precede them that are fallen asleep.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven, with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first; ASV

Rev 19:11-16

11 And I saw the heaven opened; and behold, a white horse, and he that sat thereon called Faithful and True; and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 And his eyes (are) a flame of fire, and upon his head (are) many diadems; and he hath a name written which no one knoweth but he himself.

13 And he (is) arrayed in a garment sprinkled with blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which are in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white (and) pure.

15 And out of his mouth proceedeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness of the wrath of God, the Almighty.

16 And he hath on his garment and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
ASV

Rev 20:6

6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: over these the second death hath no power; but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years. ASV

I pray the God of peace will comfort you with these and the other promises that have already been shared.

The key passage for me is 2 Cor. 5 "to be at home with the Lord." I am not concerned about where "home" is or what it looks like, I only desire to be with the one who loved me and gave His life for me. All the other 'perks' are fine, but my heart sings "I just want to be where you are!"

Jeff

2006/3/13 14:46Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Miss Yolonda and Jeff,

I hope that God will bring you peace during these difficult times. Our Christian brothers and sisters are in a better place but we sure do miss them. My grandmother died a few weeks ago.

Since you bring up the Theology aspect of death, I thought I would ask this question:

When a Christian dies and goes to heaven, do they have a body and soul or only soul with no body?

2006/3/13 15:17Profile
h2oboy

Georgia, USA

Re:

Dear JaySaved,

Thank you for your solidarity. I pray God's peace upon you in this time of healing.

Having contemplated the same question that you asked I looked at these verses:

Rev 6:9

9 And when he opened the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of them that had been slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: ASV

Rev 20:4

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of the testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark upon their forehead and upon their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. NASB

1 Cor 15:42-44

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 it is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44 it is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual (body). ASV

1 Cor 15:51-54

51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We all shall not sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption , and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 But when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption , and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. ASV

The conclusion that I came to is that, regardless of which time table of escatology, when a believer becomes 'absent' from the body he is present with the Lord. The believer's soul and spirit ascend to where the Lord is. We don't know much about this place or dimension that we call 'Heaven.' We know that the residents there are spirit beings.

Jeff

We understand that those who are 'asleep' in the Lord will be given new bodies, "put on incorruption" or "shall be raised." This is understood to be when Jesus comes at the last trump.

Since they (with us) will reign on earth with the Lord for a thousand years in these new bodies, it would seem that the bodies are needed for this purpose and not for Heaven itself.

I realize that this may raise more questions than it answers. There are many things that we do not fully understand at this time but we can rest in faith knowing that, however the Lord is going to handle it, it will be good.

2006/3/13 16:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy