SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A pastor, husband of one wife?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
I believe if a christian divorces for any UNbiblical reason they are not chrisians any longer.

I completely disagree with this as well. I DO believe Christians can sin by divorcing a spouse. Paul when speaking of a woman who departs from her husband (I Cor. 7:10-11), doesn't specify WHY she departs. Maybe it is for sexual infidelity, maybe for abuse. However, he is clearly addressing Jesus commands here to BELIEVERS. A believer CAN divorce, yet if they do, they must obey the Lord in what they choose to do next: They must either "remain UNMARRIED or be reconciled". Paul did not say they MUST reconcile or face eternal condemnation. Sometimes reconciliation will be impossible. In Him, Cindy

2006/3/9 16:23Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

very good post, Krispy.

2006/3/9 16:26Profile

Re:

Quote:
I believe if a christian divorces for any UNbiblical reason they are no longer a christian

This is the reason there are many who are in the bondage of an abusive marriage and will not file for divorce because they think they will lose their salvation.

I'm sorry, but I've seen marriages that were so terrible that it endangered the lives of the family, but the spouse was so in fear of losing their salvation that they would not even think of getting a divorce.

On another note, I think many pastors become controlling, and Lord over their familys in an attempt to keep them under submission so they remain 'biblical' in the eyes of the church. If a man can't rule their house in love than they will probably miss the whole meaning of ministry also. Everything should be done out of love, even discipline.

:-)

2006/3/9 16:27
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re: A Pastor, Husband of one wife

As Krispy has well stated, Scripture could not be clearer in regards to some minimum requirements for those who would hold leadership positions in the Church. There was a time, not too long ago (less than a hundred years) that some Evangelical Churches strove to return to the Apostolic standards set forth in scripture concerning minimum qualifications for it’s Ministers.

My guess is, these denominations may be "more enlightened" now, and the requirements no doubt have changed. And as the qualifications have been changed, so have our lives, our families, and our Churches.

A couple such examples are as follows:

[u]1) From the Christian and Missionary Alliance:[/u]

a. that divorced people who are remarried should not be used in public service in our work.

b. that divorced persons who are remarried shall not be elected or appointed to national offices or be given Christian and Missionary Alliance Credentials or Christian Workers Certificates.

c. that Pastors of the Christian and Missionary Alliance should not perform the marriage ceremony for divorced persons.

(Manual of the Christian and Missionary Alliance 1955)

[u]2) The Assemblies of God:[/u]

a. we disapprove of any General Council minister performing a marriage ceremony for anyone who has been divorced and whose former companion is still living.

b. low standards on marriage and divorce are very hurtful to individuals, to the family and to the cause of Christ, therefore we discourage divorce by all lawful means and teaching. We positively disapprove of Christians getting divorce for any cause except for fornication and adultery; and recommend the remaining single of all divorced Christians, and that they pray God to keep them in purity and peace.

c. Since it is generally accepted among us that such persons are not to serve in official capacities in our Churches, we recommend that this standard be upheld by all our assemblies.

(Minutes and Constitution of the Assemblies of God)

[u]3) The Pilgrim Holiness Church:[/u]

a. Let no one be elected as a leader who is careless of our Covenant and the obligations imposed therein. A leader should be an example to the flock of Christ. If it be known that an individual has been divorced from one companion and has married another without the former having died, or is married to one who has another living companion… let the local Church board see that he is not elected to any Church office, or if elected that he be speedily removed.

b. In these days of multiplied divorces and great laxity relative to the marriage question, it is fully agreed that no Minister shall unite in Holy wedlock any who had been divorced.

c. Credentials of ministers who have been divorced from one companion and have married another without the former having died are not recognized.

(Manual of the Pilgrim Holiness Church, 1956)

tonys

2006/3/9 17:29Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

Krisp...You said "its a case by case"...I dont think we can measure this and to me thats what your saying. Before Christ I'm a sinner. Look at Paul a muderer before Christ and then made an Apostle!!??
James 1:10..." and yet offend in ONE point, he is guilty of ALL." Krisp...You and I were Adulterers before Christ!! We were sinners to the very extent of it!!

#2) "This I cat go along with"?? I dont believe once saved always first off...and I believe we can sin but I dont believe we can live like hell and go to heaven either. Divorce is no little process sometimes it can take months...this is know little slip up...theres time to decide truth and sin. This isnt a quick emotional fleshly reaction....
If nothing can seperate us I guess all those who are christians and committ suicide go to heaven???

2006/3/9 17:41Profile

Re:

Quote:
If nothing can seperate us I guess all those that commit suicide go to heaven???

Having seen many suicides and suicide attempts working in the health profession, many times,not all the time, but many times it is a result of mental illness that has plagued this person. If this person takes their life as a result of mental illness, than I don't believe God will hold them accountable, if their a christian.

Although sometimes I do believe it is an end result of sin and rebellion against God. And I do think that demon possession plays into some of these.

2006/3/9 17:59
brentw

Ohio

Re:

Jbird...There is no bondage where there is none. An abusive situation is a bad one but no one is keeping them living in the same house!! It would be ignorant to stay in a corner and keep getting beaten...
IF an unbeliever wants to depart Paul says let them go...

2006/3/9 18:29Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

Tonys...

Missionary Alliance has changed...you can be a pastor if divorced before Christ.

2006/3/9 18:32Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
Tonys...Missionary Alliance has changed...you can be a pastor if divorced before Christ.

Yes, I know this to be true. It's quite the shame. Dr. Arnold Cook, president of The Christian and Missionary Alliance in Canada and president of The Alliance World Fellowship, was a speaker of the Marriages for Life conference http://www.marriagesforlife.com/page/page/2440201.htm I attended in late January, which I hope to get around to writing about soon here. Anyways, he is extremely grieved at how the church has allowed the present culture to determine it's course instead of remaining faithful to the scriptures. He believes as I do, in the permanency of lawful marriages until death---no exceptions. In Him, Cindy

2006/3/9 18:55Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
it cannot be a sanctioned marriage in the sight of God.

I guess what I don't understand is that if God doesn't see it as a marriage, then why do you call them " unlawful wife"? Wouldn't it just be an "adulterer?" If God doesn't see it as a marriage then why would there even be mention of being a one wife man? Why would Jesus tell a woman she had 5 husbands, if God only seen the first one as a husband? Just honest questions..

2006/3/9 20:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy