SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "End of the Spear" Steve Saint Speaks

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Even if the directors and such were guilty of commiting some sort of sin in the production of the movie, does that in and of itself make the end product sinful?

I dont think the discussion has ever been about whether the end product is bad, or if it would be sinful to see it. At least it hasnt been for me.

I did mention that I probably wont let my kids see it because I dont want them to think that it's ok to be unequally yoked as these folks were with Chad Allen. I still stand by that.

However, to financially support could send the wrong message to the folks who produced it...

Krispy

2006/2/2 11:47
ccchhhrrriiisss

Where is the line?

Hello...!

I was never able to watch the film in my town -- because the local cinema didn't include the film in their lineup. I looked up the film's box office tally, and thus far, it obviously hasn't been seen by many people. Still, I may travel to Corpus Christi, Texas (about an hour north from my school) and watch it there.

I also feel that it is regrettable that the producers chose a homosexual activist to portray such an important role in this film. This seems to be the practice in nearly all "christian" films. I don't know if the filmmakers do this because they feel that they are getting the "best" actors for the role, in an attempt to increase the box office draw, or both.

Quote:
I did mention that I probably wont let my kids see it because I dont want them to think that it's ok to be unequally yoked as these folks were with Chad Allen. I still stand by that.

However, to financially support could send the wrong message to the folks who produced it...

Do we apply this same standard to the restaurants in which we eat, the stores and products that we buy, the internet service providers, the newspapers, the "christian" book and music sellers, etc...? Many of these businesses have sinful men and women working for them. The sporting events that we watch are often sponsored by the hellish alcohol industry, and produced by men of questionable lifestyles and habits. The sneakers and clothing that we purchase are often made in godless nations with quasi-slave labor. If we use this mentality for making purchases, will we also stop driving automobiles if they are made in Japan (or even by non-christian mechanics)?

If this is the standard by which we judge "where our money goes" or our "participation" with this world -- don't you think that we are becoming a little like the "amish?" Yes, I believe that we are to seperate ourselves from this world -- but not in a [i]physical[/i] sense.

I don't mean to sound like I am defending this film. Nor do I want to sound like I am condoning anything in the entertainment industry. I'm not. And I definitely do not want to sound like I am being "soft on sin." Sin is always disgusting in the sight of God. But God has placed each of us in our own communities in this time of history.

I do believe that worldliness has crept into the Church over the last couple of decades. I would never attend a church where the pastor is practicing gross sin like homosexuality or adultery. However, I attend classes at a University that are often led by godless men and women. I eat at restaurants where I do not know the spiritual condition of the servers, cooks or owners. I drive a Ford Escape that was built by individuals that may not know Christ -- and by a company that sponsors some very questionable events.

Where is the line drawn between "worldliness" and "godliness?"

:-)

2006/2/2 12:54Profile

Re: Where is the line?

There is a difference between shopping at Walmart, and yoking together with unbeleivers in the name of God.

And if I know a store, restaraunt, etc openly supports a cause that I consider sinful or wrong, I make a conscience effort to make sure they dont get my money. I'm sure I'm not batting a thousand on that... but I do the best I can.

Krispy

2006/2/2 13:21
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Chris, did you happen to read the article(s)?

Krispy, have you ever done a study on being unequally yoked? It's not pointed nor have I delved completly into it. What I do recall from past reading and listening is that it would be a bit beyond this particular situation.

2006/2/2 15:46Profile
nacl

Babylon

Re:

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:
Quote:
... I personally think that Christians can do without the "end of the spear" why do we NEED it? when has the church been so desperate to guard and maintain our slice of the world? we are called to forsake it. I am tired of blockbuster Christian movies.. We need the power of the Holy Spirit .. we need apostolic success.

I (little though I be) have to agree on many levels with brother Greg here.

I will not go so far as to say that movies are inherently sinful. But why do we Christians continue to see them? Why do we spend [b]God's[/b] money on them. Last time I went to the theater, it cost $6 per ticket.

Don't we watch movies, Christian or not, in order to have an emotional experience? I've been there. It's a powerful attraction. But for a child of God, is an emotional experience good enough? Those who enjoy true intimacy with the Lord will look upon such fellings as undeserving of their attention. When we experience revival, we will not need or even want such base experiences. (note: I do not count myself to be one of these people yet)

And back to the issue of money: how much money did it cost to make End of the Spear? And how much money will Christian people spend in going to see it? I am not talking about bringing an unbeliever for the purpose of using the movie as an opportunity to evangelize (though we it is sad that we would need a movie to proclaim the gospel). I am speaking of going to have a "good time" or whatever. There are parts of the body of Christ worldwide who lack food, clean water, clothes, etc., and we American Christians spend untold millions on entertaining ourselves with things like Christian movies. We are not suffering with our brothers (1 Cor.12:26), we aren't bearing their infirmities (Rom.15:1, Gal.6:2), but pleasing ourselves (Rom.15:1). We are not loving our neighbors as ourselves (Mark 12:31,Jam.3:15-16).

Maybe we should reexamine our motives in times like these, myself included....

Humbly,
D.

2006/2/2 15:53Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

My fiance and I went to see End of the Spear not for an emotional experience or for sheer entertainment, we went to ultimately be edified. I received a bit of edification from it, not bad for $6. Cheaper than buying the book that it was based on to top it off, and shipped to me. To top it off, half the proceedes go to helping the tribal community they evangelized.

Jesus said the weightier matters of the law are justice, mercy, and faithfulness. I fear some of us reject this movie because perhaps we lack a little mercy.

2006/2/2 16:24Profile

Re:

Quote:
Krispy, have you ever done a study on being unequally yoked? It's not pointed nor have I delved completly into it. What I do recall from past reading and listening is that it would be a bit beyond this particular situation.

Actually I've studied and taught on it a number of times. I think what we're really getting down to here is subjective opinion.

If a sound technician on the crew was gay and struggling with it, that may not be such a big deal...and who would have known about it? But to select a high profile gay activist who is proud of his sin to be the shining star of the end product definitely falls under the category of unequally yoked. Chad Allen will be the "face" of this movie.

And I still cant get past my own opinion that this was done for the sake of the controversy. What better way to generate publicity?

I give you all my word on this... when it comes out on DVD and I can find someone to loan it to me (in other words: free) I will watch it. Dont want anyone thinking I'm afraid to see it.

Krispy

2006/2/2 16:34

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy