Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Papa, Hell is so Hot"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

"Papa, Hell is so Hot"

I am looking for a tract that was popular, distributed in the 50s titled, "Papa, Hell is so Hot!" I have looked in vain for it and cannot find it. I did email Osterhouse or Osterhaus (forget its name) and got no answer. Is there someone here on board that can help me out?

It is the story of a young girl who attended revival meetings and gave her heart to the Lord. When her father heard it, he flew into a rage and demanded she give up her religious nonsense. She compiled. Fast forward.....she got deathly sick and while on the brink of death, she said "Papa, hell is so hot!' At this the man realized what he had done and his wail was heard a long distance.

Anybody ever heard of it and have a copy or tell me where I can find one?

Thank-you for your consideration.

ginnyrose

2006/1/18 14:06Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: "Papa, Hell is so Hot"

Never heard of it but it sounds like a good one.

2006/1/18 14:37Profile
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I also have never heard of it.

If your description of this tract is accurate, it is teaching that genuine saving faith can be reversed/undone at a later time by someone else - something the bible doesn't teach. Furthermore, instead of simply presenting the gospel, it is presenting an emotionally charged scenario intended to solicit (via emotional manipulation) some sort of resonse to the gospel, fueled by pity (for the daughter) and/or outrage (at the parent).

If this is indeed the case I would be concerned to see such tracts distributed...

Dan
/\/
\/\

2006/1/18 15:41Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
If your description of this tract is accurate, it is teaching that genuine saving faith can be reversed/undone at a later time by [u]someone else [/u]- something the bible doesn't teach.

That is not what ginnyrose said.

Quote:
[u]She[/u] compiled.

2006/1/18 18:12Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

When I wrote my request, I had the sense that a Calvinist would NOT like this tract at all. If you will notice my description of it, I used very few words in describing it when in actuallity it is a very long reading. When the girl turned her back on the Lord, it was not as quick as it appears in my synopsis.

This tract demonstrates how one can blasphemy the Holy Spirit and it also fleshes out Hebrews 10:26, 27 at its worse: For if we sin willfully...there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, but a fearfull looking for of judgement and fiery indignation...

I know whoever has read it will quickly recognize my description and the tract. I have asked my friends about this tract and, yes, they remember it well, but no, they do not know where there is a copy. So I decided to try you all.

ginnyrose

2006/1/19 9:45Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Preacher Parsley,

You are right. The girl told the Holy Spirit to leave. No one else did it for her.

ginnyrose

2006/1/19 9:47Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I found this story - finally! after all these years. I am posting it here...let me warn it it is totally tragic which is why I remember it after reading it for the first time back in the 1950s! ginnyrose

Papa! Hell Is So Hot - a true story

A young lady, just as intelligent as any young lady, went to a revival meeting. The power of God was on the meeting. Sinners were being saved, and Christians were being revived.

The power of God struck this young girl, and tears begin to roll down her cheeks; she took out her handkercheif and wiped them away. Her father, a wealthy farmer, stood on the outside with others, and looking across the tent, he remarked to a friend," if my daughter goes to that altar I will wade in blood to my neck to take her out of there." But a young man was standing by her side, and she did not go that night. The father got into his car and drove home, and the young man took the young lady home in the buggy. When she got inside, she saw him- her big 240- pound father-walking the floor, and she knew that something was wrong. She said, " Papa, what is the matter with you? Why are you not in bed?" He answered,"I have stayed up to give you your orders,"She said" Papa, what in the world have I done?"He replied," I looked accross that tent tonight and saw you weeping, saw you with your handkerchief up to your eyes. May, if you go to that mourner's bench, I will wade through blood to my neck to take you out of there; and when I get you home, I will wear out a hickery over your back."

He put it so strongly that she knew he meant what he said. She began to weep and went to her room. There in the darkness she settled it that she would not go with God. She was a beautiful girl, between the ages of 19 and 20. She closed her fists and said, "Oh, God, I will never seek Thee! Oh, God, take this feeling away from me! Oh, God, lighten my heart! I do not want to feel this way! Lord I will never seek Thee! I will never go to that altar! Take this burden away from my heart!" God heard her prayer. The Holy Spirit left her, and her conviction was gone. She went to bed and went to sleep. Because you can go to bed and go to sleep , do not think you are saved. Many people go to be and go to sleep to whom God will never speak again.

The next morning this young lady got up and went to school, came back, and went to the service that night. Her father stood in the same place as the the night before, and kept his eyes upon her. When the altar call was given, he looked across and saw her standing with a young man, laughing. He took his neighbor by the the arm and said," Look at my daughter. I conquered her last night before I went to bed. She will never got to that altar."So this girl laughed and giggled while other folks wept and got saved. But listen! The meeting closed on sunday night and settled the destiny of dying men and women. The tents were taken down, and the preachers left the grounds.

On monday morning this girl went to school as normal, as she did all that week. The next Monday morning, as she started, she said," Mamma, my head is hurting me." The mother said," May, go on to school." She went, but returned in two or three hours saying," Mamma, my head is hurting so badly I couldn't stay.

She went to her room and went to bed. She had been in bed for three days, when on Thursday afternoon, she sent for her mother to come up. She said, "Mamma, I am sure that you and Papa do not know my condition, and I want you to send for a doctor. I am in an awful condition, and I am going to die."
The mother was excited, and said," I will, I will!" She had the family physician come.

He touched the big, strong father on the shoulder and asked him to come outside to the automobile. He loved the family. They had been kind to him. He said, "You have been true to me, and I must be true to you. You have called me too late. Your daughter will soon be in eternity, and if you have anything to tell her, tell her at once. It is no use for me to tell you that I can help her, or to call more doctors. In a few hours he will be gone,"

Some of the neighbors a mile away heard that fathers scream. What do you suppose was the first thing he thought of? I know-the night he conquered her and made her settle with God. He left the automobile and came in wringing his hands. He fell at her bedside and said, " Oh, May! Seek the Lord. May pray! Give your heart to God! Pray, May, pray!" She put her hand on his face and said," Papa, please don't taunt me with the name of God-please don't mention His name to me. My heart has been like a stone since that night you gave me those orders. I went to my room and asked God to leave me, and God took me at my word."Then she told him that she was consicous that her doom was seeled, and that from the beginning of her illness she knew she was going to die."She said, Papa, what time is it?" He answered," Four o'clock in the afternoon."She said," How slowly these hours are passing by, but just think, I'm going to a place where there is no time."

They had built a new home out on the pike, and there old home stood out in the feild, with the old moss-covered bucket. She said, Papa, go to the old moss-covered well and bring me a fresh drink of water." In the place where i'm going there will be no water." He went and brought the water, put it to her lips, and she drank it. Her mother was praying and her two unsaved sisters were down on the floor praying.

The dying girl said," Papa, put your arms under my arms and pull me up in this bed. My feet are on fire. They are slipping." He put his arms beneath hers, and drew her up in the bed. Again, she said," Papa, my feet are slipping. Take my feet out of the fire." He said," May, I have done all I can. Your head is against the head of the bed." She said, Papa, go back to that old well again, and bring your daughter another drink of water." He started for the water, but before he got back his beautiful daughter had gone into eternity.

Listen, friends! That father goes to town to buy hardware or groceries, and he stands over the counter like a maniac, and the merchant has to talk to him to find out what he wants. He goes to the feild to plow, but he does not plow. He goes to salt the cattle, but forgets to take the salt. When he goes to the market, he stands there and does know what he wants. Everyone who knows the story knows what is the matter with that father; they know what is on his mind. May this tract be a WARNING to parents not to obstruct the way of there children, not to keep them from this free and full salvation that was purchased for us by Jesus Christ on the cruel cross, fitting us for heaven. "Be not decieved; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that he also shall reap" (Gal.6:7) " He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be distroyed, and that without remedy"(Proverbs.29:1

2010/12/4 11:33Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

What a sobering story,
Unlike HolyWood, fairytale endings.

May those who are still alive and remain heed the lesson contained in it.

Thanks ginney.

2010/12/4 18:57Profile
Earendel

Central Alberta, Canada

Re:

you can find the tract here:
http://www.osterhuspub.com/Papa-Hell-Is-So-Hot-p/0001107.htm

I wonder if there is any truth to this story. I really sounds like a chick publication that uses false stories to illicit some kind of fear response in people. Stick to the gospel and warn people of the judgment to come, but don't use falsehood to expound a truth. The Spirit of God is NOT in this.

2010/12/4 21:46Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
The Spirit of God is NOT in this.

The LORD has used this mightily in my life ever since I read it back when I was a young girl.

Chick publications did not exist when this was first published back in the 1950s.

This story predates the soft, easy, feel-good drivel that passes for the gospel that is popular today.

ginnyrose

EDIT: Erendal, Your criticism is the first I ever heard against this tract...

2010/12/4 22:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy