SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Good As New Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
groh_frog

Good As New Bible

Is this for real? Are there actually versions this perverted? Wow...

Grace and Peace...

New Bible translation
promotes fornication
Archbishop of Canterbury praises
version for 'extraordinary power'

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

A brand-new translation of the Bible – praised by Britain's archbishop of Canterbury, that nation’s senior Christian voice – flatly contradicts traditional core Christian beliefs on sex and morality.

Titled "Good as New," the new Bible is translated by former Baptist minister John Henson for the "One" organization, to produce what the group calls a "new, fresh and adventurous" translation of the Christian scriptures.

The 104th archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams – leader of the Church of England – describes it is a book of "extraordinary power," but admitted many would be startled by its content.

"Instead of condemning fornicators, adulterers and 'abusers of themselves with mankind'," says Ruth Gledhill, the London Times religious affairs correspondent, "the new version of his first letter to Corinth has St. Paul advising Christians not to go without sex for too long in case they get 'frustrated.'"

"The new version, which Dr. Williams says he hopes will spread 'in epidemic profusion through religious and irreligious alike', turns St. Paul's strictures against fornication on their head," adds the Times.

The One organization that produced the new Bible translation is dedicated to "establish[ing] peace, justice, dignity and rights for all." It is also focused on "sustainable use of the earth's resources," challenging "oppression, injustice, exclusion and discrimination" as well as accepting "one another, valuing their diversity and experience."

According to Ekklesia, a London-based "theological think tank" that supports the "One" translation:

The translation is pioneering in its accessibility, and changes the original Greek and Hebrew nomenclature into modern nicknames. St. Peter becomes "Rocky," Mary Magdalene becomes "Maggie," Aaron becomes "Ron," Andronicus becomes "Andy" and Barabbas becomes "Barry."

In keeping with the times, translator Henson deftly translates "demon possession" as "mental illness" and "Son of Man," the expression Jesus frequently used to describe himself, as "the Complete Person." In addition, parables are rendered as "riddles," baptize is to "dip" in water, salvation becomes "healing" or "completeness" and Heaven becomes "the world beyond time and space."

Here's how Williams, the top Anglican archbishop, describes the new Bible: "Instead of being taken into a specialized religious frame of reference – as happens even with the most conscientious of formal modern translations – and being given a gospel addressed to specialized concerns … we have here a vehicle for thinking and worshipping that is fully earthed, recognizably about our humanity."

In addition, notes Ekklesia, the archbishop praises Henson's translation for eliminating "the stale, the technical, the unconsciously exclusive words and policies" in other translations.

Here, according to the London Times, are a few sample passages:

Mark 1:4

Authorized version: "John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins."

New: "John, nicknamed 'The Dipper,' was 'The Voice.' He was in the desert, inviting people to be dipped, to show they were determined to change their ways and wanted to be forgiven."

Mark 1:10-11

Authorized version: "And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him. And there came a voice from the heaven saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

New: "As he was climbing up the bank again, the sun shone through a gap in the clouds. At the same time a pigeon flew down and perched on him. Jesus took this as a sign that God's spirit was with him. A voice from overhead was heard saying, 'That's my boy! You're doing fine!'"

Matthew 23:25

Authorized version: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!"

New version: "Take a running jump, Holy Joes, humbugs!"

Matthew 26:69-70

Authorized version: "Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, 'Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.' But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest."

New: "Meanwhile Rocky was still sitting in the courtyard. A woman came up to him and said: 'Haven't I seen you with Jesus, the hero from Galilee?" Rocky shook his head and said: 'I don't know what the hell you're talking about!'"

1 Corinthians 7:1-2

KJV: "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."

New: "Some of you think the best way to cope with sex is for men and women to keep right away from each other. That is more likely to lead to sexual offences. My advice is for everyone to have a regular partner."

1 Corinthians 7:8-7

KJV: "I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn."

New: "If you know you have strong needs, get yourself a partner. Better than being frustrated."

2005/12/25 0:08Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Good As New Bible

This is very saddening. I am an KJV user and I don't really see that much a need to change at all. I sometime use an other translation like NIV to help with wording. But really this is all going to far, people are making wares out of the bible and getting rich doing it. "If it was good enough for the apostle paul its good enough for me" ;-)

2005/12/25 0:13Profile
groh_frog

Another article

'Good As New' Bible Roils Britain

By Robert Nowell
Religion News Service

London, June 28--(RNS) A controversial new translation of the Bible that has St. Paul recommending a "regular partner" for sex has received a warm commendation from the archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, for its "extraordinary power."

The version, "Good as New: A Radical Retelling of the Scriptures," was written by retired Baptist minister John Henson. Its modern idiomatic English features the names of people and places in contemporary slang.St. Peter thus becomes "Rocky," Barnabas becomes "Cheery"--apparently the literal meaning of the name in Aramaic--Thessalonika becomes "Tessatown," and Bethany is called "Dategrove." Paul, however, stays Paul and Corinth stays Corinth.

The new translation is much more direct than most Bible readers have been used to. In the King James version, Paul tells the squabbling Christians of Corinth: "It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."

In Henson's version, it goes this way: "Some of you think the best way to cope with sex is for men and women to keep right away from one another. I think that is more likely to lead to sexual offenses. My advice is for everyone to have a regular partner."

In addition, Henson leaves the door open to various possibilities when he has Paul saying, "Husbands and wives should strive to meet each other's sexual needs. They should submit to one another for that purpose."

In his foreword, Williams asks: "What would Christianity look like, what would Christian language sound like, if we really tried to screen out the stale, the technical, the unconsciously exclusive words and policies and to hear as if for the first time what the Christian scriptures were saying?"

Henson's translation does not include all the books of the New Testament--Revelation is missing, for example, as are some of the Epistles. He also adds the Gospel of Thomas, which has never been accepted as part of the Christian canon.

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/25 0:15Profile
groh_frog

Yet another...

The Bible for Idiots

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

I don't know why they just don't call it "The Bible for Idiots."

That would be a better name for the new translation approved by Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams.

Instead, it's called "Good as New." Sounds like something that should be sold only in a used bookstore. Williams' hucksterism for this new translation seems determined to give used-car salesmen a bad name.

What's wrong with it?

Let's see. Where do I start?

Not only is the translation dumbed down to the level of a 21st century third-grade student suffering in the clutches of the government school monopoly, not only is it bad literature, not only is it unfaithful in every way to the original texts, it also flatly contradicts traditional scriptural tenets on sex and personal morality.

When I saw the first report on the "Good as New" Bible, I felt certain it was a parody, a hoax, a late April Fool's Day joke.

But this is apparently a serious attempt to undermine traditional beliefs. It's a serious attempt to rewrite the Bible according to the misguided, wishful thinking of the world of political correctness.

Judge for yourself.

This translation turns all "demon possession" into "mental illness."

It renames the "Son of Man," or Jesus, "the Complete Person."

Parables are rendered "riddles."

To baptize is to "dip" in water.

"Salvation" becomes "healing" or "completeness."

"Heaven" is "the world beyond time and space."

But it gets worse when you see this nonsense in context.

Take, for example, Mark 1:4. The King James Version reads: "John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins."

The "Good as New" version?

"John, nicknamed 'The Dipper,' was 'The Voice.' He was in the desert, inviting people to be dipped, to show they were determined to change their ways and wanted to be forgiven."

The KJV translation of Mark 1:10-11 reads: "And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him. And there came a voice from the heaven saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

"As he was climbing up the bank again, the sun shone through a gap in the clouds. At the same time a pigeon flew down and perched on him. Jesus took this as a sign that God's spirit was with him. A voice from overhead was heard saying, 'That's my boy! You're doing fine!'"

The KJV translation of Matthew 23:25 reads: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!"

"Take a running jump, Holy Joes, humbugs!"

The KJV translation of Matthew 26:69-70 reads: "Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, 'Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.' But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest."

"Meanwhile Rocky was still sitting in the courtyard. A woman came up to him and said: 'Haven't I seen you with Jesus, the hero from Galilee?" Rocky shook his head and said: 'I don't know what the hell you're talking about!'"

The KJV translation of 1 Corinthians 7:1-2 reads: "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."

"Some of you think the best way to cope with sex is for men and women to keep right away from each other. That is more likely to lead to sexual offences. My advice is for everyone to have a regular partner."

The KJV translation of 1 Corinthians 7:8-7 reads: "I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn."

The Good as New" version?

"If you know you have strong needs, get yourself a partner. Better than being frustrated."

I know it seems like a joke, yet Williams, the head of the Church of England, says this new translation has "extraordinary power." He says he hopes it will spread "in epidemic profusion through religious and irreligious alike."

If it does, which I doubt, it will be for one reason: This Bible translation is designed to make sinners feel better about themselves and what they do. It is designed to take the focus off of God's eternal and inerrant Word and raise the self-esteem of people who don't want to know better. It is designed to blur the distinctions between right and wrong in a world that rejects the notion of absolutes.

Which raises the question, I wonder how the "Good as New" version might translate Matthew 5:18: "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

2005/12/25 0:23Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Actually, I can't seem to find any for sale. Does anyone know where I can pick up one? I need a little blasphemy in my library. (heavy sarcasm intended)

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/25 0:33Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

I refuse to call that book a bible!
If one wants to read a modern paraphrase in understandable language better get 'The Message'.
Not very suited for Bible study, but it does a much better job then this 'Good as new' translation.

[b]1 Cor 7:1,2[/b] (The Message, Remix)
[i][b]1[/b]Now, getting down to the questions you asked in your letter to me. First, Is it a good thing to have sexual relations?
[b]2[/b]Certainly--but only within a certain context. It's good for a man to have a wife, and for a woman to have a husband. Sexual drives are strong, but marriage is strong enough to contain them and provide for a balanced and fulfilling sexual life in a world of sexual disorder.[/i]

[b]1 Cor 7:1,2[/b] (Good as new)
[i]"Some of you think the best way to cope with sex is for men and women to keep right away from each other. That is more likely to lead to sexual offences. My advice is for everyone to have a regular partner."[/i]

Even this heavy paraphrased Bible does better then this 'new translation'.

2005/12/25 6:06Profile
groh_frog

Re:

1 Cor 7:1-2 KJV "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."

I'm not fond of paraphrases. It seems that often they take the information in a commentary and blend it with the pure Word to create a theological explaination of scripture, rather than scripture itself. The problem I have with Good as New is that, as demonstrated, it mixes theology with the Word, creating what in this case seems to be a very skewed version of the Bible. I don't use the Message either, because it seems to do much the same.

Looking back to KJV, a version I've come to trust, I see nothing about a "world of sexual disorder", or "a balanced and fulfilling sexual life". It seems that even in "the Message" you're given an interpretation and explaination of scripture, rather than the scripture itself.

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/25 6:58Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Blasphemy

"Good as Rubbish"

What utter appalling nonsense. All this seems quite light in criticism comparatively. This is neither bible nor book, the stinking thinking of mere men that would dare to even make an assumption, presumption make that...

[i]As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.[/i]
2Pe 3:16

Rom 3:18 [i]There is no fear of God before their eyes.[/i]

I could only pray the cogs of the printing press would choke on this before it ever sees the light of day.

2005/12/25 7:59Profile

Re: the Good as New - NOT! Bible

Beloved,

Rowan Williams was proud to be filmed taking part in a Druid ritual, shortly before his accession to the archbishopric. With discernment such as that, nothing written in the foregoing posts surprises me.

His more generous colleagues refer to his good brain and all-embracing extroversion... but his comments on this Bible betray either fear of man, or, a misapprehension of the true meaning of the gospel.

2005/12/25 8:10
CdnRic

Pierrefonds (Montreal,Qc)

Re:

Quote:
"If it was good enough for the apostle paul its good enough for me"

Not sure what the point is with that statement ?
It seems to alude to the KJV being good enough for Paul; whereas I'm sure you meant your agreement Pauls's declarations as translated in the original greek.

I totally agree, it is 'very saddening', that today to get on the best sellers list, a controversial 'bible' is an easy way to go about it.

But more percisely;
As the numbers are declining in mainstream demoninations and more importantly the coffers inturn; there are designs to pander to the newage realities, being more and more tolerant, and not exposing peoples sin, nor need for a saviour; for as we all know 'God is love' ; therefore how could he exclude any from the blessings of a heavenly afterlife (their assumptions not mine). Next we'll see versions where sin is entirely removed and replaced by rules for good citizenship.

I guess all in all we should not be overly surprised by this as it has always been part of the 'advisaries' plan ever since the words were first published - but God has always assured that His true spokemen have been true to His Word while weak translations come and go.

Ric

2005/12/26 16:15Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy