SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Closing Church for Christmas?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Closing Church for Christmas?

Many of you have probably heard about some of the largest churches in America closing their doors this Christmas. The leaders of these churches say they are doing it to allow their families to be together on that day. Do you think this is a healthy? Why or why not?

[url=http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0512060228dec06,1,6709895.story]http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0512060228dec06,1,6709895.story[/url]

2005/12/8 13:21

Re: Closing Church for Christmas?

just another reason why we don't have revival.

2005/12/8 13:58
repentcanada

Re:

Our small church is closing Sunday morning.

2005/12/8 14:41Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Our doors will be open at our church. Some people only go to church on the holidays.... If the doors are shut on the holidays...

2005/12/8 15:02Profile
Onfire

Actually it may prove to be quite revealing if people had their church building taken away from them. We're fortunate in North America to still have that priviledge, but I think we take for granted and possibly abuse that priviledge.

When you remove all the bells and whistles. All the religious observances, traditions and symbolisms you really can see how much you are devoted to God or possibly far more devoted to a denomination or doctrine of belief.

Christ's Church is a spiritual union from which He gathers His sheep. It's not necessarily a building in which sheep gather themselves.

It could work out to be a very healthy experiment if one could see how much they need their system of religion. It would really test their devotion to God. Do they need Him or things that look like Him? Can they worship God without being led by someone into a song? Can they preach the way the Bible talks about preaching which means having a dialogue with someone else about spiritual matters? Can they search the heart of God themselves because they are filled with His Spirit or do they need someone else to give them pointers?

Being without those things that have been instituted by man really demonstrates a lot about just how connected we are with God.

2005/12/8 16:00Profile

I feel that it's intensely unhealthy....it almost seems like it's a burdensome for these folks to engage in community worship when there's presents to unwrap and bowl games to watch....it's inconvienent.

The lady in the article was quoted as saying "this is our Super Bowl season"....what does that mean?

oh well. I gues we have to be accountable to God for our own walk with Him, and not worry about others.

2005/12/8 17:08
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

What if the church gets persecuted?
If you are not sincere walking with the Lord (His way, not your own way) you probably don't last. People also wouldn't dare calling themselves Christians so easily as now.

May we all walk with the Lord in His way in Truth and Love, receiving strength and the boldness of the Holy Spirit so we won't backout nor compromise if persecution takes off!

Quote:
It could work out to be a very healthy experiment if one could see how much they need their system of religion. It would really test their devotion to God. Do they need Him or things that look like Him? Can they worship God without being led by someone into a song? Can they preach the way the Bible talks about preaching which means having a dialogue with someone else about spiritual matters? Can they search the heart of God themselves because they are filled with His Spirit or do they need someone else to give them pointers?

2005/12/8 17:11Profile
lamuskrat

Gonzales, La

Well the following statement is going to be harsh and possibly not overly accepted, but heres another way to look at it....

Christ-less-mas

Maybe it's a good thing, in fact it could possibly be good for the REAL church if they stayed closed. So many churches today are a disgrace to the Kingdom. It's not like their going to miss God, HE'S NOT THERE ANYWAY! Stamp Ichabob on the door. With very little (if any) true gospel being preached, very few (if any) genuine conversions, and very little (if any) ministering to the needs of the congregation and community.

I'm sorry if this offends, but let's be honest with each other and ourselves. Here of late the churches have fallen way short of God's expectations. Now this is not to say ALL churches have fallen away, but for the most part the APOSTATE church is here.

Thank God for a website such as this where believers can get together and discuss the cry of their hearts regarding Holiness, revival, true salvation, sanctification, walking in the Spirit, prayer and last but certainly most important...proclaiming Jesus as Lord of lords and King of kings.

If you attend a quality church, where they comfort the afflicted and afflict the comforted, where the Pastor spends time on his knees seeking God for direction and advice, where sermons are retreived in seeking the face of God and not some magazine, website, or filing cabinet, where the shepard tends to his sheep...rejoice. Give God the Glory because they are getting harder to find.

HMMMM????? Scratches head

Maybe thats why more and more people have elected to home church.

2005/12/8 19:33Profile
dohzman

Home church

My home church is having services sunday morning and celebrating the reason for christmas to begin with. Forget about the christmas is or isn't christian debate. Sunday is a day we as christians have set aside time to come together as community and praise and acknowledge our Risen Savior. Is there any other better place to celebrate the Ressurected Christ? as a family or community?

I personally have been greatly dissapointed at the reaction of many in the local churches here to this issue on meeting on an holy (holi-day) day.

2005/12/8 21:35Profile
roadsign

What's wrong with closing on Christmas Day?

I assume that these church are having a Christmas Eve Service. From my experience that is a very well attended service - one of the best in the year.
So, I don't see why it would be so necessary to have one again the next morning. If people really miss it, they can find lots of good sermons and music on the net. And they can pray among each other, if they'd like. Nobody is stopping them .

My church is going to have a service for the few who will attend. That tells absolutely nothing about their spiritual condition.
Diane

2005/12/8 21:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy