SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Popular TV preachers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
goldeneye

Popular TV preachers

Popular TV preachers

Joyce Meyer is one of America's best-known prosperity-gospel TV ministers - preachers who teach that personal wealth can be attained through a strong faith in God and a strict adherence to the Bible.

Following is an alphabetical list of a new wave of popular word-faith ministers who have used television to build large followings:

Juanita Bynum

Headquarters: Waycross, Ga.

Reach: Her program, "Weapons of Power," is seen worldwide on TBN; she holds conferences throughout the United States.

Wealth: No information available.

In the news: In April, Bynum married Thomas Wesley Weeks III in the palatial Regent Wall Street Hotel in New York City. The ceremony featured a wedding party of 80, a platinum-colored satin bridal gown with a bodice covered in Swarovski crystals and a 7.76-carat diamond ring.

Kenneth and Gloria Copeland

Headquarters: Fort Worth, Texas

Reach: Ministry Web site says its TV show, "Believer's Voice of Victory," is seen by more than 76 million households on nearly 700 U.S. stations. Show also airs on about 135 international stations.

Wealth: A ministry official estimates the ministry's annual revenue at $70 million.

In the news: In June, the Copelands joined four other TV preachers who gathered around Oral Roberts, 85, considered the grandfather of the prosperity gospel, to pray for healing the failing founder of the university that bears his name.

Jan and Paul Crouch

Headquarters: Costa Mesa, Calif.

Reach: The Crouches are owners of Trinity Broadcast Network, the world's largest Christian TV network. TBN reaches millions of viewers on more than 5,000 TV stations and 33 international satellites around the world.

Wealth: The Crouches and their son Paul Crouch Jr. said they earned a total of $855,000 last year. TBN's annual income exceeds $100 million a year, according to the Los Angeles Times. The ministry provides the Crouches a $10 million, 80-acre, eight-home ranch near Dallas and two Land Rovers that the Crouches drive. In 2001, the couple bought a $5 million oceanfront estate in Newport Beach, Calif.

In the news: The ministry recently purchased the Nashville, Tenn., home and estate of the late country music performer Conway Twitty and opened Trinity Music City USA as a tourist attraction there.

Creflo Dollar

Headquarters: College Park, Ga.

Reach: Dollar's "Changing Your World" TV program on TBN reaches 150 countries.

Wealth: The ministry's income is unavailable, but newspaper accounts say the ministry paid $18 million in cash for his new 8,000-seat World Changers Church International on the southern edge of Atlanta. He drives a black Rolls-Royce and travels in a $5 million private jet.

In the news: Dollar's ministry became a focus of a court case involving boxer Evander Holyfield in 1999. The lawyer for Holyfield's ex-wife estimated that the fighter gave Dollar's ministry $7 million. Dollar refused to testify in the case.

Marilyn Hickey

Headquarters: Denver

Reach: Her TV show, "Today with Marilyn," on the TBN and Black Entertainment Television networks can be seen around the world. She has offices in England, South Africa and Australia, and is on the board of Oral Roberts University.

Wealth: Her ministry occupies a 260,000-square-foot former shopping mall in Denver. No information on ministry or her personal wealth is available.

In the news: She has been dubbed the "fairy godmother of the word-faith movement" and "the mistress of mail-order madness," by the Texas-based Christian Sentinel, a ministry that monitors what it calls "religious deception." Hickey got the "mistress" name for her use of trinkets - blessed cornmeal, cloths, seeds and coins - sent out to followers to urge them to send in money.

Benny Hinn

Headquarters: Grapevine, Texas

Reach: Hinn's "This is Your Day" program is seen throughout the United States and in nearly 200 foreign countries.

Wealth: The ministry took in $60 million in 2001. A news story earlier this year in the Colorado Springs Gazette said annual income now exceeds $90 million. Hinn told CNN in 1997 that he drew an annual salary of $500,000 to $1 million a year. He has a $3.5 million home in the Los Angeles area and drives an $80,000 Mercedes-Benz G500.

In the news: A "Dateline" segment on NBC examined five of Hinn's faith-healing "miracles," showing that none of the people was cured and that one woman with lung cancer died nine months later.

Rodney Howard-Browne

Headquarters: The River at Tampa Bay, Tampa, Fla.

Reach: His live broadcasts from his River at Tampa Bay Church stream online on his Internet site www.revival.com and can be seen worldwide.

Wealth: He and his wife, Adonica, oversee his $16 million church, which they founded in 1996. The couple live in a six-bedroom, four-bath lakefront home on Cory Lake in northwest Tampa. The home includes a dock, spa, pool and gazebo.

In the news: Howard-Browne has called himself the "bartender of holy laughter." Holy laughter was a controversial movement that swept evangelical circles in the mid-1990s. He would walk on stage laughing uncontrollably. The congregation would begin laughing. Howard-Browne would sweep his arm toward the crowd. People would appear "drunk on the Holy Spirit" and slide out of their chairs or dance in the aisles.

T.D. Jakes

Headquarters: Dallas

Reach: Jakes' "The Potter's House" TV program is seen throughout the world on TBN and Black Entertainment Television. His ministry boasts more than 26,000 members. A rally at the Georgia Dome in 1999 drew more than 100,000 people.

Wealth: He has mansions in Charleston, W.Va., and Dallas.

In the news: Called the best preacher in America by Time magazine in 2001.

Robert Tilton

Headquarters: Miami

Reach: He once ran his Farmers Branch Church in Dallas before scandal toppled it in the early 1990s. His show now airs on Black Entertainment Television and has a potential audience of 74 million homes.

Wealth: He is building a two-story home on a $1.39 million oceanfront lot on an island in Biscayne Bay off Miami Beach, and his ministry owns a 50-foot yacht. His ministry takes in about $24 million a year.

In the news: Tilton is rebounding after his ministry collapsed in scandal a decade ago amid news reports that prayer requests he said he personally prayed over were found in a trash bin after the money, food stamps and rings had been removed.

Randy and Paula White

Headquarters: The Without Walls International Church, Tampa, Fla.

Reach: The "Paula White Today" TV show can be seen worldwide on TBN and Black Entertainment Television. The ministry's Operation Explosion travels into public housing complexes with "rolling theatre-style pink trucks" to share Christianity in a Nickelodeon-type program for underprivileged children.

Wealth: The Whites live in a $2.1 million, 8,000-square-foot home facing Tampa Bay. Their ministry owns a jet airplane, a Cadillac Escalade and a Mercedes-Benz sedan.

In the news: Paula White calls Joyce Meyer her mentor; Meyer visited their church in September.

2005/12/5 13:31Profile

Re: Popular TV preachers

I heard that Joyce receives 8 million a month.

My grandma goes to Without Walls. And Paula and Randy have [b]sold[/b] their house, due to the cry of the congregation. And has also, restricted Benny Hinn from EVER coming to their congregation again, due to a 'guest' who was apart of Benny's staff and said ALOT of abominations the Hinn ministry has committed (stuff that is 10 times worse than on T.V.).

I asked my grandma 'what did he say about hinn' but she said is holding it within herself and to God. And[b] brings tears[/b] to her eyes when I ask her.

(Fyi, I live in the Tampa Bay area, so, the White's ministry and Browne's ministry are quite known to me. both have been in the newspaper many times, Browne for 'giving a hummer to a person' and the White's for helping the communties. And questionable character)

I personally think the White's are truly from God. And really are in the midst, constantly between a decsion. They truly help 100,000's of people in our community.

2005/12/5 13:50

Re:

This is why we all need to get back to the simplicity of the gospel. None of these things mentioned in this thread about so-called "Christian" leaders bear any resemblence to the Lord Jesus Christ or the apostles. I dont think we should all live in poverty necessarily, but if we are putting God first and doing His will, material wealth will not be the reward.

The simple life is the life for me.

Krispy

2005/12/5 14:52
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

BRETHREN
i'be been reading this book called "pagan Christianty" and it's been very interesting. one of the things that is discussed is that there is no scriptural basis for anyone who preaches the word of God to do it for pay. Paul himself said that we are unlike so many others who peddle God's word for money. as i was led through the Acts of the Holy Spirit i read about Paul's stay in Rome and how he worked as a tentmaker to pay his own way. When he left there he told the people that he didn't ask for anyone's gold or silver but worked instead. all these people whom the Lord called to work for Him never wanted for anything as the Lord made every provision for them. Christ wouldn't have horded money for Himself and i know for sure that He didn't hang on a cross and die so that you and i could like like pashas while others about us starve to death. as surely as the Lord lives those who have been poor stewards of God's wealth will suffer whatever wrath He has for them.

let us fall on our faces and repent before a Holy God.AMEN

2005/12/5 17:18Profile
martymill

Montreal, Canada

Re:

Dear friends,

I'm personnally weary of these kinds of posts. Are we called upon or even qualified to expose servants of the Lord publicly? Should we not be nervous to judge others less the wrath of God fall on us?

I was a Benny Hinn partner for many years. I have received many blessings from this man of God. Recently, after some praying, I sent them a letter asking to be removed from their mailing list. I explained the reasons, but I dared not judge them. I don't understand everything they do and why. But shouldn't we let the Lord deal with His servants?

Martin

2005/12/5 19:47Profile
dhcolesj

Dickson TN

Re: Popular TV preachers

Well, We must remember that there can be excess on both sides. As a Minister I do not preach "for money". However, the bible clearly teaches that the workman is worthy of his hire, and I absolutely despise those whose goal is to keep the pastor poor! Even Paul taught that those who minister of the gospel should live of the gospel, and explained that there were extenuating circumstances around why he did not take support.
The reason I am saying this is because there is a strong temptation in many minds to "throw out the baby with the bathwater." That means that we tend to over react to abuses or errors.
How do we balance? We adjust a minister's salary to that which is just above middle of those in the Church. In other words the Church should determine the average wage of those who are members and pay the Pastor equal to just above the middle range.
Also, any ministry that is of God will make sure that Jesus Christ receives all the glory for any good done.
I believe a pastor should get enough money to live and pay bills just like everyone else, and if God gives extra blessings, GREAT! However, I don't believe any minister of God should be flashing gold rings, fancy cars and expensive clothes to show off their income.

2005/12/5 19:48Profile
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re:

My last chruch literally tried to starve me out. I was preaching righteousness and they wanted to glorify their flesh -- I want to know where the book is that talks about bad congregations or lists the top 10 worst congragations in Ameica and Canada. Listen I make enoguh money to get by and have a roof over my head and I am content, but I simply do not think that the idea that pastors should be a free ride for the church is Biblical either. Paul said that he had a right to take money for what he did -- BUT CHOSE NOT TO.

Ironman,

Quote:
1 Timothy 5:17
The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of [b]double honor[/b], especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching.

I am curious what the writer of the book you read makes of this verse. The phrase 'double honor' is a clear reference to both respect and monitary remuniration for services. that's Greek scholarship not me talking. Now thoughout 1 Timothy is a constant emphasis on leaders not being greedy -- why? If the early leaders didn't recieve anything for their services -- greedy people would never be attracted to the ministry. The fact is there was money in the ministry even in the 1st century and some were taking advantage of it and Paul was telling Timothy a way of dealing with it.

Many of the men on this list I have doctrinal difference with and I don't like some of their character issues either. Many also violate modesty in the sense of being flashy. False preachers and prophets -- yep there on this list too. How to deal with them -- ignore them and turn them off -- that is their lifeblood. As long as people watch them they stay in business.

Blessings.

2005/12/5 20:26Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
This is why we all need to get back to the simplicity of the gospel. None of these things mentioned in this thread about so-called "Christian" leaders bear any resemblence to the Lord Jesus Christ or the apostles.

AMEN and [b]AMEN!!![/b]

Quote:
However, the bible clearly teaches that the workman is worthy of his hire, and I absolutely despise those whose goal is to keep the pastor poor! Even Paul taught that those who minister of the gospel should live of the gospel, and explained that there were extenuating circumstances around why he did not take support.

I was just reading this verse that kinda ties into this:

"Take heed to thyself that thou forget not the Levite as long as thou livest upon the earth." - Deuternomony 12:19

also: Deuternomony 14:29.

2005/12/5 21:11Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

martymill wrote:
Dear friends,

I'm personnally weary of these kinds of posts. Are we called upon or even qualified to expose servants of the Lord publicly? Should we not be nervous to judge others less the wrath of God fall on us?

I totally agree with you there Brother! Personally I feel if were going to Judge them we should not have "any" sin in our life is this any different than the scripture,
John 8:7 But when they continued asking him, he looked up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw the first stone at her."

2005/12/5 21:37Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro Sir Edward
i thank the Lord for your response. yesterday i had been reading in the letter to the corinthians and it touched on this very topic in chapter 9. Paul talks about being entintled to food and drink for such work and material benefits from the preaching of the gospel. the Lord reminded me of this as i read your reply rather than a couple of hours ago when i posted my first response :-? the Lord has a way of letting me go off half-cock sometimes so i can be corrected and i do thank Him for that. the writer didn't make any mention of the verse in timothy you mentioned.at any rate it is clear that whoever is sent of God has a right to be provided for in some way by those whom he is sent to. if one doesn't make use of this though then one has to work as Paul did in rome. i feel though that in this case Paul was content to work as a tentmaker (and receive the reward of the priviledge of preaching the gospel) rather than draw from that right to be provided for as a preacher of the word and i feel that when the Lord sends me out to do so then He'd have me do that.

as i read through the scripture you mentioned i saw clearly that the Lord makes provision for His workers either by providing them with a job so bills can be paid but also by softening the hearts of those who receive the word to give so that God's man can be maintained.

i'm with you on the flashiness aspect. the workers of the Lord should receive some benefit though 2 rolls royces and multi-million dollar homes makes no sense...especially when there are many out there who are in need......smacks os empire building rather than kingdom building to me

i stand corrected brethren. it's good to be on s.i. the Lord can teach one so much...

God bless

2005/12/5 21:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy