SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is it possible to sin while sleeping?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
FallenCloud

Is it possible to sin while sleeping?

A question has just crossed my mind, is it possible to sin in your sleep with things that you may dream about without control?

Cheers

2005/12/3 17:38Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Is it possible to sin while sleeping?

I think its good to meditate on the word of God before you got to sleep. If your heart is habouring bad thoughts during the day constantly that won't stop when you are asleep. But if you are meditating on what is good and comely I am sure that will pass over into your nights sleep.

I really don't struggle with this at all but I am sure others can shed more light into this or possibly some scriptures. good question.

2005/12/3 17:59Profile
FallenCloud

Well thoughts/temptations that you may fight during the day - sometimes seem to carry over into sleep, even though I read the word and speak to God before i go to bed.

I just don't want to dishonor God in any way at all.

Cheers

2005/12/3 18:04Profile
roadsign

This is an interesting question. Our dreams are unconscious brainwaves, not deliberate choices, so I don't think we should assume that sinful behaviors in dreams are sin. The Bible does not teach that. (We forget most of our dreams anyway, so how could we confess them)

On the other hand, dreams might reveal something about ourselves. Ecc. 1:3 says "As a dream comes when there are many cares.." Dreams can reveal hidden anxieties, worries, fears, fears of loosing control, cravings, or other forms of ungodliness that one has repressed. These dreams can help us realize a sin problem that needs to be dealt with. For example, God onced used a series of dreams to reveal to me that I had too much desire for nice things, and he wanted me to surrender that desire.

But, I suspect, most of the time, we should not make dreams mean something that they are not.

The only way we can know is to ask the Spirit to reveal truth. Since any form of sin keeps us from the Father, the Spirit will be more than willing to reveal the sins of our hearts.

Hope that helps.
Diane

EDIT:

Quote:
Well thoughts/temptations that you may fight during the day - sometimes seem to carry over into sleep

Temptations are NOT sin, and one should not feel guilty about that. IN fact we MUST not feel guilty. Christ did not die for temptation, only for sin.
Again, the best way to be know for sure what God thinks is to ask him.
Perhaps you would find it helpful to do a study on the topic of "sin".
God bless you. Sweet dreams! ;-)

2005/12/3 18:22Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Quote:
Temptations are NOT sin, and one should not feel guilty about that. IN fact we MUST not feel guilty. Christ did not die for temptation, only for sin.
Again, the best way to be know for sure what God thinks is to ask him.
Perhaps you would find it helpful to do a study on the topic of "sin".
God bless you. Sweet dreams!

Thanks for pointing to that even tho it was not directed at me. :-)

2005/12/4 10:01Profile
Onfire

Since sin literally means to be separated from God we have to clarify what it means to be sinful. Before we begin to exercise our faith in Christ we are separated from Him. When we do exercise our faith in Him daily we allow Him to keep us in right relationship with Him. Therefore all the things that we do that appear to be bad are not necessarily sin. There may be temptations as some have suggested that could if we give in to them lead us to be separated from God. There are also behaviours that we carry out in the flesh that are a result of being separated from God.

My point is that if we carry out these behaviours in the flesh than it is an indication that we are not connected with Him in the first place, meaning that sin exist.

Christ came to free us from sin. He doesn't want us to remain in bondage to being separated from Him and the pleasures that come from that.

And sorry to your question. Scripture tells us to keep every thought captive. Our thought life even as we sleep may possibly indicate the nature to which our soul is with God or apart from Him.

2005/12/4 10:27Profile

For many years I had trouble when I was asleep. I would say they were spiritual attacks, or, I was vulnerable to remember things from my past, which I would not allow to surface to my consciousness while I was awake, because of the way they made me feel, physically, mentally distracted and emotionally distressed.

Having had nightmares for years prior to that, I was grateful to find a way of addressing the last opportunity to pray, before falling asleep. It was recommended to me by a brother - simply to commit myself to the Lord, consciously, naming mind, soul, body and spirit, asking Him to keep me safe in Him, until I woke up.

I can't say immediately all the trouble stopped, but after a period of some weeks, I realised I'd begun forgetting to pray this, and that also, I was sleeping through the night with no awareness of anything distressing or disturbing. There were times after that when I felt attacked again, but, nothing like the original situation.

Also, I've had dreams in which the Spirit of God clearly put words in my mouth, to resist or to make my claim to be His. Even (once) I woke up realising I'd just sung an entire hymn (of several six line stanzas) - so I [i]know[/i] the Holy Spirit is available to us when we are otherwise unconscious. He never sleeps. (Ps 121).

2005/12/4 11:58
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Dream, dream, dream... dreeeeaaaammm

Interesting topic folks. Things that automatically jump up are a reminder that we are in a spiritual fight and that things of this sort shouldn't catch us off guard. Agree with the holding certain things in abeyance in the realm of dreams. Was just reading the whole of Jer 23 this morning and quite a bit could be gleaned from that not to mention the gut check for some of our modern day prophets...

Have wondered about some dreams that are very powerful and yes, 'sinful' even. Problem being that if mine are any indication of others, they usual have quite a bit of the nonsensical about them. People having different faces while seemingly being the same in real life comparison. The oddities of places interwoven and changeable (A supermarket in your kitchen, driving a car with no wheels, weird stuff...)

Likely to be a mix of a lot of things. Have had powerful dreams all my life, but not all the time. Think all these things expressed here are true and possible, many different reasons. So I don't know how to definitively answer the question.

What I might add though is that the devil and his minions are quite the cowards after all. The times that I have been woken up with these strong temptations... it's uncanny, even from just dozing off here at the desk after reading things, still percolating in the subconscious. Coming out of a sleepy state always takes a few moments or so to "wake" up and there is a weakness and particular vulnerability in those moments, that is when they often strike. Chickens! Cowards! Landlubbers! It's striking in the audacity, the out of the blue-ness...

1Pe 5:8 Be sober, be watchful: your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour

2005/12/4 12:49Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re: filthy dreams..

Well you guys know about those 'wet-dreams' right?
I'm always clearly awake after this happens and I bring these filthy thoughts (as I can remember them) to God to get rid of them. It's not that I can help it, but its still good to do.

2005/12/4 13:27Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

We can have "defiling dreams". We need to call on the Lord and ask Him to clense us. We don't need to get all introspective about it and especially not dwell on them. Just call on the Lord and ask Him to clense us and renew our thoughts and maybe recite a verse or two and go on.

Graftedbranch

2005/12/6 0:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy