Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : TODAY'S "UNSAVED" CHURCH

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

TODAY'S "UNSAVED" CHURCH

Here is a great article I ran across recently. Any comments would be great.

TODAY'S "UNSAVED" CHURCH

It is an interesting fact that Charles Finney spent his entire ministry preaching to professing Christians. And yet he was called the greatest 'evangelist'! What he was doing was evangelizing the church people - because he found that most of them were not living in a state of true salvation at all. The church was 'unsaved'! Thus his first calling was to the believers of his day - to see them converted. -Just like Jesus and the apostles were called first to the Jews - the 'believers' of their time. Finney found himself preaching piercing salvation messages his whole life in church buildings, Bible Colleges and so-on. The "Christians" must be saved.

Actually, you see this pattern in most Revivals down the centuries. In many cases, what Revival was, was the church coming into true SALVATION for the first time. They THOUGHT they were saved before, but they had been under a delusion. When the 'Revivalist' arrived and preached to them, suddenly they saw that they were undone and in a lost state, and multitudes were converted. Revival almost always begins with the church.

I believe it is no different today, especially in America where church attendance is very high (-around 40 percent) - the highest percentage in the world. Everyone agrees that there is a lot of 'nominal' Christianity and 'social' Christianity going on - as well as a huge number of people who attend churches where they are told they are 'saved' when clearly they are not.

It is difficult not to come to the conclusion that most of these churches are like "holding pens" for the damned - telling people that they are 'OK', when in reality they are headed for destruction. Personally, I find this very hard to take. What will God do to the preachers who are lulling the flock to sleep in this way? And when will men be found who will dare to tell the "Christians" that many are not 'saved' at all - but still in their sins? -Such is the role of the true prophets of God. Such is the role of the coming "John the Baptists".

Of course, Finney was hated and despised by church men for saying such things. How DARE he preach in such a way that assumed that many 'fine church members' were unsaved? How offensive and ill- mannered! But Finney had such a passion and a burden to REACH THE 'CHRISTIANS' with the gospel. -And this was exactly what God had called him to do.

Today we see exactly the same thing in the West as Finney saw in his day. We see a church that is very largely UNSAVED. A truly "saved" church (in the New Testament sense) behaves and looks and sounds utterly different to what we have today.

Even in Pentecostal/Charismatic circles we often find many "previously-saved-but-no-longer-walking-in-it" believers. Friends, this is not a state of 'salvation'. The Bible is very clear that only those who CONTINUE in New Testament Christianity and who "overcome" will be saved. These people are lost. You are either walking as a 'new creature' in love with Christ or you are not. If you are not walking in it then do not assume you are "saved" - no matter what some preacher tells you. It is all or nothing with God. The Bible tells us to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling". I would be very surprised if more than a quarter of the West's so-called "Spirit-filled" believers are actually walking with a clean heart before God. What on earth do they think will happen to them on Judgement Day?

Added to this, we have millions upon millions of 'mainline' believers who literally NEVER get the opportunity to find out about "FULL" salvation. -The Holy Spirit is never made real to them, and many have never been fully BAPTIZED in water, either.

Now, we have already discussed elsewhere how people became Christians in the Bible. We know that there were THREE THINGS that always needed to happen when someone wanted to become a Christian in the New Testament:

(1) Repentance
(2) Water Baptism
(3) Being filled with the Holy Spirit.

-Every time, these were the three things that happened STRAIGHT AWAY. (-See Acts 2:37-41, Acts 8:12-20, Acts 10:44-48, Acts 19:1-6, Acts 22:16, Heb 6:1-2, Mk 16:16-18, etc.)

As I have said before, the doctrine of "Asking Jesus into your heart" does not exist in the Bible, and personally I would come very close to calling it a lie from the pit of hell, because it falsely assures people that they are "saved" just because they have 'prayed a little prayer'. It is very dishonest and totally unscriptural. So we know that a basic "New Testament Christian" is someone who has:

(1) Repented
(2) Been Baptized (immersed) in water, and
(3) Been filled with the Holy Spirit

So how on earth do we reach all these vast millions who are being duped with this half-Christianity of "Asking Jesus into your heart" - but never hear the full gospel? What on earth can be done to get this message through to them?

This is a burden that is very much on my heart. And I am convinced that only the coming "John-the-Baptist" ministries will have the anointing to break through the walls of 'Religion' to reach these people with the truth. We are talking about millions upon millions of precious souls here. And they are people who DO BELIEVE in God. But they have been lied-to, and the real truth has been denied them.

I am convinced that the coming harvest will BEGIN IN THE CHURCH. It will begin with converting the "CHRISTIANS". -This has always been God's order. "First in Jerusalem, then in Judea...."

I am deeply burdened for the church in the West. Let the new "Charles Finney's" arise. Let the trumpet sound go forth. The message of PIERCING REPENTANCE must be heard in the land once again. And the idol of "Mammon" must surely be one of it's key targets.

I am convinced that such prophets must arise for Revival to come to the West in these days. "For the word of God is quick and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword." -May this mighty sword be brought to bear on the walls of Religion and false 'assurance' in these days.

by: Andrew Strom

2005/11/21 17:08Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re: TODAY'S "UNSAVED" CHURCH

Here's a brief quote from William Law (from the 18th century) which summarizes the article quite well. [b]"Yet the church is filled with professing Christians whose faith has never gone beyond a conviction that the words of Scripture are true. They believe in the Christ of the Bible, but do not know Him personally. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is sound doctrine to their minds, but their lives are empty of His manifest power either to overcome the power of sin within, or to convert others to Christ."[/b]

This was a prophetic word and it certainly describes the church in the United States. Pastor James in Chapter 2:19 said "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

For many people, their belief is no more than a mental assent. Bonhoeffer referred to this as "cheap grace."

2005/11/21 17:24Profile
ShirHashirim

I think that article was true. I can rant on and on about the weakness and powerless chuch that blends in with the wickedness of this world but im sure we can all see that. all we have to do is read the book of acts and you can come to the conclusion that either the book of acts is one big fat lie, or we have buried our standards.

Quote:
Revival almost always begins with the church.

1 Peter 4:17 "For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?"

I think that verse sums up that article very well. :-)

something that has just been burning on my heart since i have been born again is that the church needs to pull the plank out of their own eye before they try to go out and evangelise!

1 Corinth 9:14 "Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel."

bars are not going to start shutting down unless the professing Christians get out of them. Murder is not going to decrease unless the professing Christians stop hating and learn to love, teen pregnancy is not going to decrese unless the professing Christians start treating girls as their sisters. revival isnt going to start unless we learn to live the gospel and pray without ceasing.

2005/11/21 17:57Profile
npautsky

Texas

Hello ChristisKing,

Thank you for sharing this article. I found this article to be very saddening but completely accurate. I have independently come to the same conclusions as the author. I believe the direction God is leading me in order to combat this situation is to so give my life to God that I will be able to say, If you want to be a Christian then follow me, watch how I live and you will see God's will for you. It's not going to be words but the living God actually dwelling in peoples hearts that will convince people that they have embraced a false Gospel. They already have the same words that we do, but the words mean something different to them. They will have to see the reality of a living Christ undeniably shining through peoples lives. Not just that he can do it or will do it, but that he is doing it in our lives.

2005/11/21 17:59Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: I am also shocked by this

How many christians in church did not Jesus say

Lu 18:8 - Show Context
I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

I think this is a clear statement. It does not say all who believe in the Lord Jesus, it just says faith.
Jesus is coming for his bride I do not believe that every part of his body is different.

It is an interesting thought how much of the church is not saved!!!
They beleve in it but are actually not living it day in and day out. I am including me Jesus please purify me and make me yours.
Honestly how much?
Will we get a big suprise in heaven!!

2005/11/21 18:53Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

This is a very good article and its diagnosis is very much on point. But I would think that the solution offered is not entirely correct. Surely God does have to raise an prophetic figure such as a John the Baptist or Elijah to speak against the current deplorable situtation we find overall in Christianity. But I also believe that individually each Christian can choose to want to live a spirit filled holy life and allow God to transform us into the image of Christ. There is an remenant that God is raising up to be an example and witness to what true Christianity is.

I think God will raise an John the Baptist or many if the [b]majority[/b] of spirit filled believers shut out the burden of the Holy Spirit to live uncomprimising lifes. Prophets are Gods last resort in our days, they are "emergency men for crisis hours" God raise up your saints to truly walk as saints in these days. We cry out to you Lord! show mercy not judgement to your church.

2005/11/21 21:30Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Hi Greg,

I agree with your assessment and comments concerning this article, but I would like to pose a few questions to you and the other SI brothers and sisters.

1. Do you not consider this a crisis hour in America right now?

2. How much worse do you think it can get, how more corrupt could the church become?

3. Don’t you think that the vast majority of Spirit filled Christians have already shut out the burden of the Holy Spirit to live uncompromising lives?

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying Greg, just trying to get a picture of what point you and the other SI brothers and sisters feel we are at.

2005/11/21 22:55Profile
Billy7

Re:

Awesome article! This has been on my heart for some time now. Most of today's preaching and teaching amounts to nothing more than theological candy. Where is the Holy Ghost conviction that drives men to their knees in repentance?

My question is: Where are the Spirit-filled Christians? Personally, I don't know of any--and after reading John R. Rice's little book, "How Great Soul Winners Were Filled With the Holy Ghost," I would have to honestly say myself included.

I don't think that Andrew Strom's point is that God is going to raise up just one, single "John the Baptist," but rather, that He is raising up an army of them. These are the true Spirit-filled believers; those who have been baptized in the Holy Ghost and fire!

I'm a teacher and lay-preacher at my church, and this is the greatest need that I see in our congregation--there are so many who believe that they are saved, but they do not even know what salvation is. To them, it is merely the intellectual belief that their sins are forgiven and they are going to heaven when they die. I dare say that most could not even define what things such as conviction, repentance, faith, and love mean, much less give testimony or eveidence to having experience them in their own lives.

I have been crying out for God to baptize me in the Holy Ghost and raise me (and others) up as examples to this generation of what true Christianity really is. The greatest need of our time is for true examples of Christianity. Where are the Finney's and the Wesley's of our day. I often wonder who will they be writing books about 200 years from now from our generation? Who in our generation will leave behind a legacy for future generations of believers study and model their ministries after--The Joel Osteens? The Paula Whites? The Rick Warrens? I don't think so!

Oh God, give us leaders who can say as the apostle Paul, "Follow me, as I follow Christ."

2005/11/22 9:39Profile
martymill

Montreal, Canada

Re:

Wow, great article.

Unfortunately, it's all true. Len Ravenhill said something like "God will judge America or He'll have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorah!"

And their blood will be on our hands.

John 15:2 "Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit."

Ouch! I think I'm gonna go back to the prosperity gospel!

Martin ;-)

2005/11/22 10:33Profile
Sir_Edward

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
1. Do you not consider this a crisis hour in America right now?

Yes I do. God has been very gracious to this country for many years now and I can but see that every year we linger is grace from God at this point. Our sin asa nation has gotten not only great but brazen in its expression to others.

Quote:
2. How much worse do you think it can get, how more corrupt could the church become?

Depends on what church you are talking about -- Christ's bride isn't corrupt at all but how many in this nation belong to her. The visible church can get a corrupt as God allows until he deals with it for his name sake.

Quote:
3. Don’t you think that the vast majority of Spirit filled Christians have already shut out the burden of the Holy Spirit to live uncompromising lives?

OK. Let me paraphrase Ravenhill (I think) 'How can one call oneself Spirit filled not be burdened with the lost and passion for holiness'.

A better question for me is how many people are actually Spirit filled beleivers? Not many me thinks.

Blessings.

2005/11/22 11:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy