Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Help with Starting a Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Help with Starting a Church

I have come to respect the opinions of those who post regularly on the SI boards, so I was wanting advice with starting a new church. It will be affiliated with Calvary Chapel, but it doesn't necessarily have to be one (though I don't think my vision conflicts with CC - and there is a lot of freedom allowed for local CC pastors to manifest their visions for the churches they are a part of.)
Here are just a few of the goals/visions I have:

* Teach the Bible verse-by-verse, precept-by-precept
* Teach the people how to pray and evangelize
* Have small groups within the church that will minister to each other, preferably with an elder over each
* Understand that church is the barracks and that the enemy can come and visit, but he can't make camp unless he converts to OUR side
* Have more prayer meetings than choir practices or such
* In the spirit of James 1:27, we will focus our ministry on today's "widows and orphans" - those who are the modern-day equivalent of widows and orphans in James' day: those who are illiterate (cannot read the Word), those who are poor and financially dependant, those who are social outcast, those who suffer for the lack of charity in the world. This will be done, but we will also stress the latter part of James 1:27 by keeping ourselves unspotted from the world.
* Keep the church doors open as much as possible and to be a haven for the sick, the hungry, and the poor, but we won't allow God's house to be mocked, for God Himself won't be. We will adopt God's policy of resisting the proud but giving grace to the humble (James 4:6, Proverbs 3:34)
* Be of sound doctrine, but not be so dogmatic that we lose sight of the purpose of such doctrine. Ravenhill said, "Your doctrine can be as straight as a gun barrel - and just as empty!", but I like to modify it - "Your doctrine can be as straight as a gun barrel - and just as deadly!" We will strive to keep the main thing the main thing. We will rest in the simpler truths of God's Word but also pursue a deeper understanding through more than head knowledge.
* Evangelism will primarily occur outside of church doors. As Ravenhill stated, "A man would be a fool to spend $100 on fishing equipment and only fish in his bath tub. But that's what we do - we preach the Gospel to the same people every week." (paraphrased) As mentioned, evangelism and prayer training will be essential - what army marches into battle without weapons or training?
* There will be order in the service, for God is a God of order and structure - just examine nature for more than a minute and even a child can figure that one out. But we will protect ourselves from allowing order to be more important than the leading of the Spirit.
* We will teach uncompromising holiness and in the spirit of Ephesians 5:10, we won't be lazy in service but we will find out what pleases our Redeemer and our Lord. We will do that which is pleasing in HIS sight, and if there is a conflict between what is pleasing in HIS sight and OUR sight, He must increase and we must decrease (John 3:30.)
* Our sole existence is not to be another church, for the last thing our area needs is another church, but we will be committed whole-heartedly to raising our gates so that the King of glory may come in and reign. (Psalm 24)

Got any advice?

2005/11/17 18:24Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Help with Starting a Church

Seek to establish Christ and Christ alone. Let Him truly be Lord. Let Him be truly the head. Let Him truly be the center. Of course, everybody will amen this and swear they are doing, but practically speaking, it seldom ever happens.

2005/11/17 19:20Profile
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Re:

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:
Seek to establish Christ and Christ alone. Let Him truly be Lord. Let Him be truly the head. Let Him truly be the center. Of course, everybody will amen this and swear they are doing, but practically speaking, it seldom ever happens.

Amen! And may it truly be.

2005/11/17 21:57Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

So, now with that said, are you willing to resign notion of being sr pastor? Are you willing to not worry about if people are not really respecting your "authority" and the like? Are you more interested in seeing others set forth in their own ministries and established than your own ministry, and hopefully seeing them surpass your own?

p.s. I'm not trying to come across as some sort of grand-inquisitor or any such thing. I'm just trying to help you along in this :)

2005/11/17 22:44Profile
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Re:

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:
So, now with that said, are you willing to resign notion of being sr pastor? Are you willing to not worry about if people are not really respecting your "authority" and the like? Are you more interested in seeing others set forth in their own ministries and established than your own ministry, and hopefully seeing them surpass your own?

p.s. I'm not trying to come across as some sort of grand-inquisitor or any such thing. I'm just trying to help you along in this :)

Jimmy,

When God puts fire in someone's bones to do something, I think it should be taken seriously. We live in an age where just about everyone says, "God's telling me to...." and "The Lord is leading me to....", and I think it's so common that it's beginning to not be taken seriously.
I am getting to where I don't say that God is leading me to do something unless I am sure about it. It has to be just short of a burning bush talking to me before I say such things nowadays.
I understand your concern and wanting to help because I think you know what I am talking about. There are so many things being done in the name of God that are really just good ideas in the flesh. We are living in days similar to Jeremiah. It became a common phrase in his day for just about anyone to say, "Hear ye the word of the Lord", and God put an end to it. I wonder if we are not on the verge of the same. The point is, I don't take it lightly when I say that God is doing a work in my heart and giving me a burden to do something.
As far as whether or not I feel a "special annointing" to be the senior pastor, I cannot tell you, but what I can tell you is that I don't know if anyone else's heart is burning like mine for this, and I feel like I have no Aaron to place responsibilities upon. If someone else arises that God has obviously put more fire and burden upon to serve in that capacity, so be it. Who am I to hamper the will of God?
Currently, I am trying to do what I am burning for and to do so without coming across as arrogant or one who has made grand assumptions is proving difficult. But so is the suffering of anyone God puts a fire and burden in.

As far as seeing others being raised up from the church to grow in the Lord, that would be wonderful. I don't feel challenged by anyone nor do I ever want to be, but I will protect the vision God has given me and will continue to go before the Lord daily to see if the burden is lifted. Thank you for asking "hard" questions - it leads me to think about how to articulate what I am experiencing and where I stand. I thank God for you!

-Chris
:-)

2005/11/18 10:47Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Brother Chris,

This is an excellent list. Perhaps some statements about church discipline and also discipleship could be added to them. But I know that you are trying to empahsize on the most vital parts of the church plant in your mind thus far. I beleive the Lord is going to do a great work brother keep praying and relying on Him. Give me a call if you have time I would love to talk with you, I just got back from a church planting conference in Toronto. May God be glorified in all that you do for Him.

One question also is the amount of time you meet together, are there going to be small home groups? what about a weekly prayer meeting?

2005/11/18 10:55Profile
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Re:

Greg,

I wanted to include a few more points, and, yes, church discipline and small group edification were to be included, but I had to cut the list short b/c my kids needed attention. :-)

I will continue to meditate and pray about the direction God wants the church to go in. I continue to accept and appreciate any further advice as well as some things SI members would like to see implemented into their own churches. I trust the opinions of those here at SI enough to know that they won't suggest selfish things like, "make sure the praise team sounds good."

Guys, I have to admit the thing I worry most about is whether or not my area even wants such a church, but it's more of my flesh bothering me than a genuine worry, because I really am leaving it up to God and the fire He's placed in me to attract people, not some fancy worship team or "fun" youth program.

More than your advice and comments, I welcome your prayers - specifically that that which God has burdened me with will find direction and that I won't quench the fire by lacking in faith.

2005/11/18 13:06Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Sounds like you are on a good start :)

2005/11/18 15:10Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Are there some people in your area that are following you as a pastor? Are you planning on starting from scratch.. ie when someone you preach to gets saved, you disciple them?

My pastor started out with just his family and a few others. I think it started out being around 10-15. It's been alittle over 3 or 4 years and now we have a new building and about 130 or so on sunday morning. There have been some here and there from other churchs start coming to our church but the majority are people that have been saved under my pastor and stayed.

EDIT: By the way my pastor is around 35 or so.

2005/11/18 15:16Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

How it started it with one person getting saved, and then their whole family seeing a difference in them. And eventually their whole family getting saved! It's amazing! I wish I could have seen it from the begining! I have only been saved about 2yrs 1/2.

2005/11/18 15:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy