SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Modern dress

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Modern dress

There has been a question that has been begging an answer and I am going to ask for ya'lls insight, or comment.

Why do the young dress so sloppy?

I am disturbed by the slovenly dress of the young in todays world. When I was growing up, we used to dress up when we appeared in public. On the farm we wore clothes fit for the job, be it feed the hogs, the chickens, gather the eggs, milk the cows, or drive the tractor (yes, females worked outside on the farm long before women's lib). After completing the task, I always looked forward to a shower and clean clothes that did not reflect the jobs I was engaged in earlier. The work clothes may have been ragged, but after cleaning up, I worn nice clothes.

What bothers me is the loss of femininity among females. They no longer value being a woman who loves beauty and will express this in the clothing they wear. Instead they dress like a cow in heat! And perhaps this is the problem? They have given in to natural impulses and have lost their self respect which is reflected on what they wear? If you study the styles people wore in ages past, people - males and females alike - took great effort to dress nicely, took pride in dressing well. But no more.

Then the males: they will wear denim and tees to church, wear bill caps when eating in a restaurant, and even in the house!

Where is the respectability? Do people no longer respect themselves and others?

What do you think?

ginnyrose

2005/11/9 23:56Profile
shibu

Goa, India

Re: Modern dress

It is true that, the modern generation losing the meaning of [b]modesty and discreet in dressing[/b]. Though this topic is a trivial matter, it can leads us into legalism too. But every spiritually minded person will be careful in his/her dressing so as not to become a stumbling block to others.

For those who want to know what God think about your dressing. Please go through the following book.
[b]Does God Really Care What I Wear - Nancy Leigh DeMoss[/b]

Description about this book:
Dress can be controversial, and just the mention of modesty today can raise a lot of questions. Nancy Leigh DeMoss will guide you through discovering The Look that is timeless and pleasing to God. Biblical, practical and motivating, The Look challenges women (young or older), to discover the Truth about clothing and modesty.
[url=http://store.reviveourhearts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=394]Does God Really Care What I Wear[/url]

For reading the transcript of her radio program on 'The Rewards of Modesty', 'Resolves of the Modest' and 'Full Closets and Stingy Hearts', click this [url=http://www.reviveourhearts.com/topics/topic.php?topic_name=Modesty%20%2F%20Sexual%20Purity]Modesty/Sexual Purity[/url]

In Him,
Shibu

2005/11/10 0:35Profile
groh_frog

Re: Modern dress

This is quite a controversial topic, indeed. But as a younger man in my church, I've seen a couple of different sides to why people expect certain dress, and do dress in certain ways.

I doubt that you whould have much argument in saying that the older generation seemed to put more of an emphasis on dress, especially to church, and going into town, like you said, ginny. Many times, in the younger, you'll find someone wearing jeans among a room of those dressed more formally.

I think there's a reason for this. Basically, the bottom line that it would more often come to, is that, in a fellowship setting, what are you judging a person by? Their clothes? Their hair? Their walk with the Lord? How they Pray? How they live their life?

Now, to say that we don't judge would be an ignorant statement. We all do. We weigh truth from un-truth, and in the same way, we weigh believers from make-believers, and unbelievers. But on what basis? Some are logical, and right. Some are based on the traditions or beliefs of differing generations.

Now, I'm probably skipping around a bit, so I'll put it how I see it. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about scantily clad females, or flat out dirty males, but more specifically what I wear, when, and why.

Now, I've worn jeans to church on Sunday before. And I will again. Bluntly, it's because of this: I doubt God is impressed by the $200 suit I might buy for service!

This comes from a stance on what I believe church should be, also. I see it as a place to train believers to go into the world. It's not the place where you bring unbelievers to witness to them.

Now that you know that, I believe there is a time for more formal dress: in times that you are witnessing, handing out tracts, etc., if you look "cleaner", people might be more apt to listen.

Going back again to the fellowship setting, if you're getting angry that a person isn't dressing like you, within reason, you might need to check your heart. Maybe dressing up is a way that you worship, but it's not to everybody. Frankly, I've been dismissed as "just another youth" because of wearing jeans, or a T-shirt to church before, but honestly, if that person can't seem to see past how I dress to look at how I live, pray, serve, then I don't have much interest in arguing with them about it.

Now, getting to the other end, talking about ragged, or scantily clad people, yeah, it's sad. Often, it's disgusting. It's vanity many times, and it's killing another part of our church. I have to say that I see makeup as the same thing, also. Just as those young girls might wear clothes to "show what they've got", and to catch somebody's attention, makeup is designed for the same thing. Both put the focus on a material want, and away from our Lord.

I'm blessed to say that my wife loves to dress modestly. I know her beauty, and that's good enough for her. I know her face, with or without makeup, and that's good enough for her. And the Lord knows both of our hearts, and so, no matter how we might impress the congregation, or likewise, His opinion is good enough for both of us.

Well, I probably jumped around on that a bit, but I'd love to talk more about it. Just know that while there's some sad things happening with dress, I think there's some more pure things happening, as well. Tell me what you think.

Grace and Peace...

2005/11/10 1:18Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Frankly, I've been dismissed as "just another youth" because of wearing jeans, or a T-shirt to church before

I often wear jeans and t-shirt to the midweek meetings, and usually dress informally on the Sundays too. Dress code has become a struggle. I often ask the elders what is your dress code before turning up to preach in their meetings. Alas, it is a long time since I was 'dismissed as "just another youth". ;-)

2005/11/10 5:38Profile

Re:

Quote:
I often wear jeans and t-shirt to the midweek meetings, and usually dress informally on the Sundays too

yeh i'll say! :-)

I have thought about this whole area and about how it say's that a women should not try to dress like a man and vice versa. I think you have to put it in context with the time and the fashion at the time. I have thought about how womens and mens clothes are similar and if we wear trousers or jeans then does that mean that we are trying to dress like men or not acknowleging our femininity? I don't think so as trousers are made specifically for women now and I don't think that they necessarily make a women look unfeminine or less beautiful than some skirts or dresses. Women can still look feminine in trousers and jeans. In fact personally, being very short I find it extremely difficult to buy skirts or dresses that don't look ridiculous on me and to actually find skirts or dresses that fit is almost an impossibility for me. Maybe too much is made on how we dress and I feel that as long as women don't dress provocatively on purpose then it is ok. People should maybe respect what others feel comfortable in as, at the end of the day, I don't think it is very important.

2005/11/10 6:01
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
yeh i'll say!

Of course, if I wore I suit I [b][i]might[/b][/i] just get a little more respect from some folk, but then again we 'banjo players' have to stick together. ;-)

2005/11/10 6:40Profile

Re:

Too right! Don't worry though - you have my repect if you are a banjo player or not ..... although that definatly goes in your favour!
:-)

2005/11/10 7:08
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Did they dress differently when they went to meetings, than their normal wear in the early church?

I do beleive in dressing modestly, but all the time! Does the dressing up nice for church bring the idea that the meeting building is more holy than other places?

Or does this just fit into the catagory of "its a tradition, but not a bad one so let's just leave it alone."

When I preach, I admit I do dress nicer. Its not because it effects my preaching but because it might offend some if I didn't dress as a "preacher". Excuse me if I don't have any camel skins to wear. ;-)

2005/11/10 8:47Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Now, I've worn jeans to church on Sunday before. And I will again. Bluntly, it's because of this: I doubt God is impressed by the $200 suit I might buy for service!

In these awesome days of such universal chaos and declension in so many churches, maybe we had been best to wear burlap into some of the meetings. I think too often that folk dress up to go to church fishing for compliments and they whist not that they could possibly divide the worship. "Wow, he looks sharp this morning" or "she really looks nice in that dress"; are comments that seem innocent on the surface, but we are not in a service to be exalted.

Others feel like it is an expression of their faith to dress nice to go to church. They would think it as sin or something if they did not dress in their "Sunday best." There is something about 'dressing up' that 'puffs us up'. Ever notice how a person carries themself differently when they have on a nice suit or if a gal has her make-up and clothes 'just right.'

Another issue that goes unnoticed is that many times we think that a man is dressing provocatively because they wear a tank-top (sleeveless shirt), when in reality some women are attracted to men dressed up in a nice suit more than if they wore almost nothing. Same holds true for some men and how women dress up. Attraction is attraction is attraction is attraction- no matter what means one might use.

We need to honor God in all we do with a consciousness about how we dress as not to offend God or lay a stumbling block before others. We send a message with how we dress. What is that message? More importantly, [i]why[/i] would we wish to dress in such a way to make ourselves be set apart? We need to be discreet. Let our adorning be that of a meek and quiet spirit which in the sight of the Lord is of great price.

I used to make a joke when I was younger that I put on 'costly array' when I was feeling short on godliness (I'll get my helmet;-)) ; "Nice ring, nice suit, nice watch, etc. etc." No amount of expensive dress can cover up for a week of worldly living. It is all just more of what some have called, "playing the game."

2005/11/10 9:04Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

OK, I do appreciate your imput. I also see that I am talking to very young people who do not remember what life was like before the Beatle era.

According to an article written by a secular writer, the stlyes worn by children reflected their parents style until after WW11 when youth had money and the merchantizers went after them, targeting their money. Fashions were designed for them and celebrities (movie, et al) became the role models. As such they lived in rebellion to social mores which were held sacred up to this time. Soon you had immorality flaunted without shame, and promoted through song and movies. As these performers worked to create a unique persona, they also dressed to reflect their philosophy. Marketers capitalized on this and now bingo! every young person wants to fit in and do not want to be considered odd so they will ride along and if you so much as dare to challenge them, you will be called names...

Since sinful society dictates fashions, how should the Christian look like? What dictates his/her styles? where do they receive their cues for dressing? The way we dress tells others what we think of ourselves and them, does it not? Are we not a walking billboard? Obviously, there will be differences of opinion and that is ok. I did find it interesting that in our local newspaper last week in an article about a local teen who was killed in an accident. The principal of the HS he attended commented the 'he always wore his pants pulled up'.And this is a public HS! In Romans 12: 1,2 it says we are to "present our bodies a living sacrifice, holy acceptable to God....and be nor conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of the LORD is..." Now, how does this translate into practical living in regards to how we dress our 'billboard'?

ginnyrose

2005/11/10 9:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy