SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Baptism of the spirit?!?!?!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
tinluke

New England USA

Baptism of the spirit?!?!?!

Would anyone out there like to share his/her personal testimony about being baptisted in the spirit?? Has it changed your walk with the Lord and in what way?? Do you think it is vital to be baptised in the spirit in order to fully be used of God?
I am reading "Azusa Street" right now. There is alot of talk about being baptised in the spirit. I've never asked to be baptised in the spritit. I've been to some penecostal churches where EVERYONE seems to be baptised in the spririt. Everyone speaks in tounges and gets all kinds of "gifts", but I never saw any real power of God in these "gifts"....other than a good show!!! Sorry if I sound a little cynical, but I think most of you know where I am coming from.

This question about being being baptised by the Holy spirit has been burning in my heart. My prayer is "Lord if I need it please do it" I know it doesn't sound like a very good prayer, but the whole thing is kind of scary to me.

In HIS love, Tina

2005/10/27 9:53Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Baptism of the spirit?!?!?!

Sure... I will share a little about what I have experienced. Note... I don't go just by experience I believe the baptism is backed up by the Bible.

Shortly after I was saved, I figured out that I had a choice: to go back to my old friends and do the same thing or separate myself. I, by the loving grace of God, decided to separate myself. I was in a bookstore curious about 'tongues' because I knew it was a controversial topic. I asked the bookstore clerk if they had anything on the topic. She directed me to a book about the baptism (something I had never heard of... I was about 2 months old in the Lord). I, much like you, was like, "what? What is this about?"

At this time I was away at college but before I left home I was going a church. I called the pastor of my home church and asked him about it. He told me that the baptism was for me and that it was something very well worth seeking. During that week I was so longing for God to fill me to the uttermost with his Spirit. I spend many hours in prayer. I did nothing but go to class and then go pray and dive into the word. Within a week of even hearing of the baptism, Jesus filled me.

After receiving the baptism my whole life was changed. If you were to say that when I was converted it was a 100% change in me, then from when I was baptized in the Holy Ghost would be a 90% change. It was a huge change. It was like my born again experience saved me from hell; my baptism experience saved me from the world and sin. It was such an intense change... almost like I was born again, again. Do you know what I mean? My prayer life intensified the revealing of the word, every aspect of my life. Especially my convictions. I was talking to a friend about it one day and he likened it to having a "super conscience." Things you never seen as bad looking like the blackness of darkness forever.

I experienced tongues when I was baptized in the Holy Ghost. I tend to lean towards that when you receive the baptism you will speak in tongues. John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Ghost but never spoke in tongues. But when the apostles received it they did... I think the focus is on the change that comes upon you.

I believe that what has happened in the Pentecostal church is that people are just seeking 'tongues' instead of the fullness of it. If all a person leaves with is tongues they have not received all that God wants them to receive. When you are baptized in the Holy Ghost there is a change in you, not just your mouth.

2005/10/27 10:17Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

By the way.. I think a person should not speak in tongues in a church service, unless of course there is an interpretation. Not to get off topic but I just thought I would say that.

The gifts of tongues are married to the interpretation of tongues. They should never leave one another.

2005/10/27 10:32Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Hi Tina,

Quote:
This question about being being baptised by the Holy spirit has been burning in my heart. My prayer is "Lord if I need it please do it" I know it doesn't sound like a very good prayer, but the whole thing is kind of scary to me.

That is a wonderful prayer, eloquence comes from the heart.

I don't think it necessary to be afraid nor to be overly skeptical. I know there is a variety of thought and experience in what this all means and the gifts or not having the gifts have been discussed at length.

Hate to be redundant but my own experience would be opposite PreachParsly in that I was part of a gathering that was in effect coaching or coaxing 'tongues' out of people.... The reason I bring it up is that my own prayer at the time was very much similar to yours in that contrary to this spurious idea of 'letting your mind go' as they were proposing ("blocking" the Holy Spirit they said) mine was more "If this is true and You wish me to have this gift, then You will have to open my mouth and let the words speak". The only thing that would come was that which I knew was of my own effort and therefore gibberish and false. Something I was trying to force. Apparently being the only one that wasn't joining in to this babbling with no interpretation only made me want to throw up, it was the most disgusting thing I have ever been apart of and believe it was demonic in origin.

[i]There are supernatural powers and agencies that can play with us like toys whenever they choose unless we are garrisoned by God. The New Testament continually impresses this upon us: “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in the high places.” According to the Bible, spiritualism is not a trick, it is a fact. Man can communicate with beings of a different order from his own; he can put himself into a state of subjectivity in which spirits can appear. A medium commits the great crime psychically because he gives himself over to a force the nature of which he does not know. He does great violence to his own rectitude and tampers with the balance of his sanity by putting himself into league with powers the character of which he does not know. Mediumship, whereby unseen spirits talk to men and women, will destroy the basis of moral sanity because it introduces a man into domains he had better leave alone. Drunkenness and debauchery are child’s play compared with the peril of spiritualism. There is something uncannily awful about tampering with these supernatural powers, and in the speeding up of these days the necromantic element is increasing. Be on the look out for the manifestations that are not of God; all have the one sign, they ignore Jesus Christ.[b]Beware of the advice: “Yield, give up your will.”[/b] No man or woman has any right to yield himself or herself to any impression or any influence; immediately they do they are susceptible to all kinds of supernatural powers. There is only one Being to Whom we must yield, and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. Be sure that it is Jesus Christ to whom you yield, then the whole nature is safeguarded for ever.[/i]

Chambers, O.

That is not to negate anything whatsoever from what our brother here wrote, if anything it is just the other side for those who have not been granted to receive this particular gift;

1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1Co 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

2005/10/27 10:46Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

reposted below. formatting went adrift!

2005/10/27 11:48Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

This is an excellent quotation and I was interested to see which of Chambers writings it came from. For any who want to read more... Beware of the advice: “Yield, give up your will.” No man or woman has any right to yield himself or herself to any impression or any influence; immediately they do they are susceptible to all kinds of supernatural powers. There is only one Being to Whom we must yield, and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. Be sure that it is Jesus Christ to whom you yield, then the whole nature is safeguarded for ever. ...Chambers' CD identified it as from "The Servant as His Lord", (United Kingdom: Marshall Morgan & Scott) c1959.

2005/10/27 11:52Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

[url=http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/rlister/sword/sw7.htm]How Great Soul Winners Were Filled With the Holy Spirit by John R. Rice[/url]

This may be of some interest.

2005/10/27 12:22Profile
LetUsPray

This is an excellent quote by Philologos:

Quote:
Beware of the advice: “Yield, give up your will.” No man or woman has any right to yield himself or herself to any impression or any influence; immediately they do they are susceptible to all kinds of supernatural powers. There is only one Being to Whom we must yield, and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. Be sure that it is Jesus Christ to whom you yield, then the whole nature is safeguarded for ever.

...Chambers' CD identified it as from "The Servant as His Lord", (United Kingdom: Marshall Morgan & Scott) c1959.

Jesus told us that His Father would give us the Holy Spirit if we asked Him: If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? (Luke 11:13).

I posted the below article a number of weeks ago. I believe that it addresses your question Tinluke.

A number of recent threads have touched on: the power of Satan, the conquering power of Christ, law and freedom from the law, etc. For me, and I believe for many others, Christianity is both obedience to God’s Word and the living out of this obedience free from legalism. This seems to be very difficult for many of us; as a result we struggle in our faith to come to a place where we can say with Paul: I have fought a good fight, I have finished (my) course, I have kept the faith (2Tim.4:7).

Galatians 4:19. My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until CHRIST BE FORMED IN YOU.

Colossians 1:
27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is CHRIST IN YOU, the hope of glory:
28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present EVERY MAN PERFECT in Christ Jesus:
29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

These are a few Scriptures pointing towards the ultimate PRIZE which should be sought by every Christian: CHRIST IN YOU.

Paul in his letter to the Ephesian Church wrote two prayers that He prayed for the Ephesian Christians and, even though this is not recorded, likely for others also. I make this statement, because Paul talks about travailing in birth, laboring, and striving for the Christians in the early churches. The root of the Greek word for what Paul did is AGON. It is also the root of the word AGONIA which is used to describe the intensity of the prayer by Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, when His sweat became drops of blood. Our English word AGONY comes from this Greek word.

I pray and ask the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ for the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him so that the eyes of my heart may be enlightened, each time before I read His Word, and before I share from the Word with the people I speak to.

For a number of years I have prayed the entire prayers in Ephesians 1:15-23 and 3:14-21, after I personalized them, for ourselves and for the Christians we worship with. I do this with confidence in faith because Jesus told us: how much more shall (your) heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? (Luke 11:13).

Just consider:

“The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that YE MAY KNOW what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, And what is the EXEEDING GREATNESS OF HIS POWER TO US-WARD who believe, according to the working of HIS MIGHTY POWER, Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead,”

And:

“That HE WOULD GRANT YOU, according to the riches of his glory, to be STRENGTHENED with might by his Spirit in THE INNER MAN; THAT CHRIST MAY DWELL IN YOUR HEARTS BY FAITH”

I cannot think of a better way to learn to walk “in Christ,” than by the working of His mighty power, being strengthened with power by His Spirit in my inner man, so that Christ may live in me by faith!

For years I have done this and taught others. When I ask the Christians I shared this with through the years, if they do this, the answer is always: NO.

Why don’t we want to have Christ formed in us by asking our heavenly Father, and thereby having the Holy Spirit living in us?

Please read the thread “What is a Christian?” “Inner Light?”

2005/10/27 12:32Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
This is an excellent quotation and I was interested to see which of Chambers writings it came from.

I agree completely. That is some good advice. I once heard a minister say, "Just open up and receive! Clear your mind! Don't even pray! Oh I bet that breaks your tradition!" He wasn't talking about the baptism but just in general. That is what spiritualist do. Open your self up and just let what ever comes to you come. A person can be open to a lot of demonic things by doing that. I would never listen to a person who tells you to not think or pray.

Luk 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Luk 11:10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Luk 11:11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if [he ask] a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

Luk 11:12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall [your] heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

2005/10/27 12:44Profile
markm

Re:

John 4:10 Jesus replied, "If you only knew the gift God has for you and who I am, you would ask me, and I would give you living water."

2005/10/27 13:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy