SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Journal of a Journey

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
Willo

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re:

[b] Saturday, 30 June, 2007 [/b]

The weather was fine, and the temperature was a little cool, so it made for perfect witnessing conditions. We met as normal in King George Square for a time of prayer, Bible reading, and some fellowship before making our way up into the Queen street mall for the open air.

We were blessed to have two new guys join us on the street this week, it was their first time being out on the street witnessing, and they did a great job. After praying we were leaving King George Square when a group of young men walked past, one of the young men asked “Are you the preacher?” We replied that we were, and from there he began to ramble about how the Bible is full of errors. So I turned and engaged him in a conversation, the man was clearly off his face, so Jeremy and I witnessed to the group while Andrew took the rest of the team to the mall.

The man was a homosexual so he was having a go at the biblical stance of homosexuality being an abomination in the eyes of God. So we witnessed to him pointing out that God in His holiness must punish wrongdoing, and that being a homosexual was not the only sin that he would go to hell for. The man wanted to argue, but we weren’t prepare to argue the finer points of doctrine with him. One of his friends who was also a homosexual came up to talk, he was far more open than the original man, and even took a tract as we parted company.

Jeremy and I then quickly caught up with the team as they were setting up for the night of preaching. It was decided that I would be the first preacher up for the night, so I started in by using the current terrorist situation as a analogy on how we don’t know when we will die. From there I launched into how our life is nothing but a vapour that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.

I probably preached for near on twenty minutes before I had a heckler, and this heckler was different to the hecklers we had over the previous weeks. He was polite, and when he asked questions he let me answer. It was such a refreshing change to have a reasonable person to work with on the street. Then as I finished dealing with him yet another polite heckler arrived to take his place.

The preaching was able to cover a wide range of topics from an apologetic on why we can trust the bible to the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ. It was a great conversation, and at the end I got to have a one to one chat with one of the hecklers.

Next up was Jeremy, it was his first time at open air preaching, and for a beginner he didn’t do to bad. Just like everyone who preaches, he suffered with fear, and even though his message wasn’t tied down in all points it still presented a gospel message. For his first time he had a Muslim and a Buddhist heckler both of which he handled very well.

After Jeremy preached, it was time for Andrew to get up and have a bash. Hsuy was all fired up since he had the joy of dealing with a universalist while I was preaching, so he started in dealing with a few hecklers that had gathered to see what was happening. He didn’t preach as long as normal, but the message was tight and it packed a big punch.

During this time I noticed that a drunk man was hugging Tanya, and then trying to kiss her, so I ran over to get the drunk off her, and then to my surprise he turned to me and started to hug and try to kiss me. Now I am not one who likes being hugged at the best of time, but this man was saying how much he loved me, and kept trying to kiss me. After a few moments I was able to lead him away from the members of the team, and no doubt a few members had some laughs as they watched him keep puckering up for a kiss.

By now Hsuy has finished preaching, and it fell to Kevin to stand up and preach. He preached, and he preached some more. For near on an hour he declared the majesty and glory of God, and then the fallen state of man. It was a good open air session with many people hearing the gospel being proclaimed.

While Kev was preaching the universalist came back, and was handing out “A Father’s Love Letter” to people he met, so I intercepted him, and began to chat about general things, and tried to keep him away from the crowd that had gathered. As I worked on him, another group of people approached all handing out tracts. This time it was the seventh day Adventist, so I had some more false teaching to deal with. But thankfully other members of the team were able to pick them up.

By the time Kevin had finished preaching it was midnight, and our permit had run out. But while we were packing up this man approached and started to act like he was apart of the team. So I quizzed him, and it turns out that he is a professing Christian, the only problem is that he was drunk, blaspheming the name of God, and bragging about how he had stolen from a church. So I went after him, and pointed out that based on the fruit he was showing, that he indeed was not saved. This made him get mad, and he threatened to punch my head in, but I kept pointing him back to the scriptures, and he kept rejecting them. He soon left, and then Kyosti came up and informed me that the man I had been speaking to was at one time an open air preacher. What a tragedy of a false conversion, here was a man who did not know the gospel, yet thought himself saved. As the man walked away I could not help but think of Matthew 7:21-23.

[b] Sunday, 1 July, 2007 [/b]

Today was a nice and sunny day, so I headed down the Gold Coast with Josh Mitchell to help out with Operation 513 - Gold Coast. It was great to be back down the Coast witnessing, and I enjoyed not being a team leader for once, since I could just focus on witnessing and not the running of the team.
Josh Mitchell was the first preacher up, and as he preached with the beach behind him, and a busy avenue in front, a crowd began to gather. While he was preaching, I decided to head a bit further up the beach front, and hand out tracts to the many people that were walking along the path. In no time a couple of hundred tracts and had gone out, and then I realised that I had run out of tracts, so it was a case of go back and preach after Josh.

When Josh stepped down from preaching, Tanya quickly jumped up and began to preach. While she is a quiet preacher she sure packs a punch, and a few people stopped to listen to her as she spoke about the sinfulness of sin.

Then when she finished it was my turn to preach. So I started in by talking about a Stalker of Death, and a few people gathered in to listen. As I preached, I challenged the crowd to why they only used the name of the Lord Jesus to blaspheme, and why don’t they curse Allah. To this challenge a young man at the back yelled a reply of hate towards God. So I engaged him, and he was a self professed atheist. But when his belief began to crumble around him he tried to walk away. Then a funny thing happened, and elderly lady who was listening grabbed the young man and said “You need to stay and listen to the preacher!” So the man couldn’t escape since the lady held him there.

He didn’t heckler much more, and as soon as the lady let go he ran off. But by now another heckler had arrived and was asking questions about the people before Jesus, and how were they saved. I did my best to answer and the heckler thanked us for providing an answer. She then took a tract and left.

By now I had been up for about 45 minutes, and time was running out since Josh had to leave in order to preach at church. So I began to wrap it up, and as I did another heckler opened fire in regards to the issue of evolution. I dealt with it quickly, and he ran away when I presented the evidence for their being a Creator.

Overall it was a good weekend, and many people got to hear the Gospel!

[i] Soli Deo Gloria! [/i]

www.xanga.com/Josh_Williamson

2007/7/2 8:05Profile
Willo

Re:

[b] Saturday, 7 July, 2007 [/b]

Tonight was a strange night with the evangelism team being full of energy as we met for prayer and Bible reading. Normally the team is a lot more reserved but tonight there was what appeared to be an excitement in the air.
We had a time of prayer, and then read the Bible. After a short time of fellowship we made our way into the mall. Tonight I was the be the first preacher up, which is really something I prefer not to do. For some reason I have always hated being the first preacher and would much rather follow in second position.

I started off by preaching about how two years ago London was rocked by a terrorist attack, and how for the past week there was a heightened terrorist alert, a few people stopped to listen, and then I swung it around to bring it home to the Australian audience. I pointed out that how many of us believe ourselves to be far from terrorism, but just a few days earlier a man was arrested in Brisbane city in relation to the current terrorist threat in the UK. From there I pointed out that we aren’t assured of tomorrow, but one thing we are assured of is that we will one day die, and then be judged by the perfect God which has seen our thought life, and heard every word spoken.

I was able to preach for a few minutes, and then a heckler decided to open up. This man was an atheist and was looking for an argument. He did the normal tricks of asking “Who created God?” and “What about Evolution?” I answered him the best of my ability, and but it soon became apparent that no matter what I said to him he wasn’t interested in learning the truth. So I asked him where did he get his moral standard from, he baulked at that question, and then rambled on about it being given to him from society. From their I opened up the scripture to reveal that he showed the work of the law written upon his heart (Romans 2:15).

‘Bob’ then said there was absolutely no proof of God, so I took him the routine of things made need a maker. Before I could get a sufficient reply out of him, his girlfriend decided to step in and start to argue about evolution, since she claimed to be a science student. But I found that when she was pressed about the evidence of evolution that she refused to answer, so I brought it back to Romans 1:20 and how we can see the testimony of God by His Creation.

‘Bob’ soon left, and then a second man took his place which was ‘Bob 2’, now this guy regurgitated the same questions as the previous bloke, but he was more open to discussion. But his friends soon came and took him away. Then entered ‘Bob the Third’ which was yet another atheist, it seemed to be the nigh that all the atheists decided to come out and debate the Christians.

While I was dealing with ‘Bob the Third’ another man to my right yelled out “What about Dinosaurs?” I turned, and said that the Bible speaks about such creatures in Job 40, and if he wanted someone from the team could show him. Before he could respond and elderly woman from the back of the crowd yelled, “God is not all powerful! I have a free will to choose Him, and a free will to tell Him what to do!” (Sounded like your typical Arminian!) I wasn’t to sure how to deal with this elderly woman since if I came on and rebuked her statement heavy the crowd would turn against the preaching, but at the same time I didn’t want to dismiss her statement. So I decided to quiz her about her ‘free will’, I asked her, “Do you have a free will choice to choose when and where you will die?” She responded that she did indeed have that power. I took her to the scripture to show her that God alone is the Sovereign One who decided when a person will die.

She still dug in that God was indeed Sovereign, but also had to work within our free will, so thus He wasn’t all powerful (At this stage I thought we had a hardline Arminian!) So I asked her another question, “Did you have the free will choice to choose, when and where you were born?” Again she replied that she did have that choice. Now that stunned me, and it sent a chuckle among the crowd. I have never heard anyone state that they could decide when they were born.

Since the woman was talking about God, I opened up the Bible to show her what God said about Himself. First place I took her to was Romans 3:11; “…none seeketh after God” She just looked at me and yelled “I have free will!” To which I agreed, she indeed have free will to choose what sin to commit, but she didn’t have free will to choose God.

She just shook her heard, and started to walk away. She was a good heckler, and I didn’t want her to leave, so I asked, “What do you think happens when you die?” She replied that she held to reincarnation, and that God decided with her when and where she would come back.

It was now time to come on hard, I pointed out that one thing she said was right, and that was that she would die, and God would decided what happens, since the Bible tells us in Hebrews 9:27 that once we die we will be judged, and it only leaves room for Heaven or Hell. She didn’t like that, and started to yell. It was time to start preaching on the Sovereignty of God, and how He alone is all powerful. To this she became really mad, and ran up in front of me, and yelled “You are a fundamentalist ----! (The language she used wasn’t very lady like).

By now I had been up preaching for over an hour, so I wrapped it up after the woman had left. Then a lot of one to ones started happening with the remnant of the crowd.

We were short on preachers tonight, so we decided to test a new bloke out. It was Ryan’s first time at preaching, and he did extremely well for a beginner. For over 30 minutes he exalted the majesty of God, and pointed men to the foot of a blood stained cross. After seeing him preach, I definitely think this boy is one to watch…

[i] Soli Deo Gloria![/i]

2007/7/9 8:36Profile
Willo

Re:

[b] Saturday, 14 July, 2007 [/b]

With Andrew Hsu away tonight, we had called Josh Mitchell in to be the other leader in the team. It is always a blessing to have Josh since he brings an interesting dynamic to the Operation 513 Evangelism Action Group.

We met as per usual, then spent time in prayer, and bible reading. I was expecting an interesting night, for it seems that every time I have to preach the next day at a church something always happens the night before.

I announced to the team that I wouldn’t be preaching tonight due to the fact that I wasn’t feeling well, and wanted to conserve my voice for the Sunday morning service, but God had other plans…

Josh Mitchell was the first preacher up, and he opened up the Word of God with a fire in his eyes and boldly declared the gospel of truth. While he was preaching we were operating the Bible table, since quite a few people wanted a Bible and also to talk more. We have found that by setting up a table and giving away free bibles that our one to one rates has increased dramatically and also the amount of scripture going up has gone up in leaps and bounds. If you are involved in street evangelism, or any sort of evangelism for that matter try and organise a place where people can access the Word of God free.

While Josh was preaching an atheist appeared and started to heckle, now this man had one of the foulest mouths I have ever heard, with nearly ever second word being a profanity. But you could tell by the way he spoke that he was a fair dinkum blokey bloke.

The man (whom Josh had nicknamed ‘Bob’) was starting to yell about now evidence for God or the Bible, to which Josh replied that there was much proof, and then he gave an able defence of the gospel. But Bob was one of those blokes that could dominate any conversation even if he was being beaten.

So Josh turned and tagged me in to take him on (so much for not preaching!). Bob was arguing that if God was real He should appear to all men. So I quickly told him of the time when God did do that, I explained to him that the last time God came to earth the people nailed Him to a Roman cross. Then if He was to appear today all men would be judged for the deeds done in the flesh.
Bob was fine to debate, and to argue. But the moment you quoted scripture or said “The Bible says:” He would get rolled up in anger. This man had an absolute hatred towards the Word of God. But as when dealing with anything you must keep using your weapon, and the Word is a Christians weapon so we kept on swinging.

As I preached on Bob began to contradict himself, and he was realising it to. So he admitted to openly lying to us. But by the end Bob (now known as Ricky) had calmed down and even came up and shook my hand when he had to leave. He was also willing to take a tract. Please keep Ricky in your prayers!

I wrapped it up not long after this, and tagged Josh Mitchell back in. For next hour plus Josh preached, and did a good job ministering to those who stopped to listen.

After Josh preached Ryan got up, and did a great message for his second time at preaching, but towards the end about 3 angry hecklers were moving in to cause trouble, so since our permit only had a few minutes to go we decided to engage them in a one to one witness.

The two men I got were full of hate towards Christianity, for in their belief “God would never judge homosexuals”. So I asked if they were homosexual, to which they both replied that they were. Since both men claimed to be sinless, I opened up and used the scripture that deals with the sin of homosexuality on them. This enraged them more, for they didn’t like what the scripture said. One of them then turned and engaged Rick in a one to one, and that left me with one to deal with. We discussed sin, and repentance, and by the end his attitude had changed and he willingly took a tract.

Overall the night was both interesting and exciting, all praise to God for bringing people to hear the gospel!

2007/7/16 7:18Profile
Willo

Re:

[b] Saturday, 21 July, 2007 [/b]

We were expecting a busy night in the Queen street mall tonight due to the fact that the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk was in town, and as a result there were 6000 + sailors, and marines ashore. But with the navy being town it meant that we had to be on higher guard since the females always seemed to get targeted on nights like this.

The night started off slow, and there wasn’t that many people about, I think it was due to the fact that two major sporting events were being televised in the mall. But never the less we began to preach.

Andrew Hsu was the first man up, and he preached for a short time which was more than we expected since he was suffering with a throat infection. But within a few minutes he was in dialogue with a heckler, and then things got a little hectic. A bunch of drunk youth approached and started to ask questions, and wanted tracts. The interesting thing is that all of these youth were professing Christians. One of them even recognised the Way of the Master tracts that we were using.

I couldn’t help but think upon how there are many people within the church that are deceived into thinking that they are saved, yet their fruit display another life that is contrary to one that has been redeemed. Matthew 7:21-23 began to run over in my head, and I felt a sense of anger towards those in churches that sit back and assure the drunkard of his salvation when the Bible makes it clear that no drunk will enter the kingdom of Heaven (1 Corinthians 6:10).

After Andrew finished preaching Josh Mitchell was supposed to preach, but since he was locked in a one to one with a Muslim group further up the mall, I decided to jump up and preach. My text for the night was Proverbs 20:1 “The Booze Sermon!” This was a sermon that I hadn’t preached in awhile, but somehow felt that it was ideal for a night like tonight.

I started in on how this nation has been deceived by alcohol, and even posed the question that if morally we should support an industry that wrecks homes, kills people, and drive many a nation to poverty. From there I swung into how the Bible deals with drunkenness, and it was around this time the group of youth returned. This time they were quoting scripture, and saying “Just accept Jesus into your heart!” So I had to try an undue the false teaching that these boys had been taught.

I felt sorrow for them, and I also felt anger towards those who had preached a false gospel, that lacked repentance to them. No matter what I said these boys were solid in their teaching that they could live in sin, and still be counted as Christians. The only good thing was that they all took tracts, so hopefully God will quicken them to Himself.

About this time I noticed a man that was leaning against the pole listening to the gospel presentation. I didn’t think to much about him, and continued to preach. I preached for a little longer and then wrapped up.

Josh Mitchell was really keen to preach tonight, so he jumped up nearly instantly. He began to exhort the majesty of God. While he was preaching the sporting events finished so the mall quickly filled with people walking up and down. So as the wave of humanity surged towards us we rushed about to get in position to make sure a lot of people got gospel tracts.

It was around this time, Josh was starting to deal with two people that had listened to my preaching, they were asking a variety of questions, and the female that was heckling was a spitfire. She was trying to dominate the open air, she was one of those people who no matter what you said would just argue.

Josh Mitchell dealt with her for around 30 minutes, and then I thought it would be wise to do a bit of a tag team preach. He tagged me back in to deal with her. The woman wasn’t to impressed with having to deal with another preacher, so she started to restate her views. But I had already made up mind that I wasn’t going to let her dominate the open air, so I kept stopping her to deal with her statements. It soon became apparent that she didn’t know what she was on about, so I focused on her boyfriend, who was a lot more friendly and even let me respond to the questions. They left not long afterwards, and then I saw that the man who had been listening to the preaching before was back, and this time he wanted to talk.

His name was Pedro, and he was brought up as a Catholic, so as a result he had a lot of questions, and wanted to talk about ‘Why Christianity?” So I dealt with his questions very quickly, and then wrapped up the open air. After I finished preaching, I was able to sit down and talk to him more in depth. He was a man that was very interested in learning more about what the Bible said, and as we reasoned he began grasp the concept of judgment. After talking for some time, he took a Bible and some literature. Please pray that he will come unto repentance.

During this time Andrew was dealing with a young man who had lost $1400 at the casino, the young man was broken, but could see that God had allowed it all to happen so that he could hear the gospel. Andrew spent quite some time ministering to him, and the young man left with a Bible.

The night seemed to be slow, yet over a thousand tracts went out, and many people got to hear the Gospel! ALL THE PRAISE TO THE GREAT AND MIGHTY LORD JESUS CHRIST!

2007/7/23 8:30Profile
Willo

Re:

[b] Saturday, 28 July, 2007 [/b]

I will never learn! Every time I start the night off by saying that I won’t be preaching, I end up on the soap box declaring the Word. Which is something that Caleb reminded me of when I told the team at the prayer meeting that I wouldn’t be preaching.

The night appeared to be busy as we made our way to the regular preaching spot, the city was buzzing with activity as we set up for a long night ahead. It was decided that for a change we would put Ryan up to preach first. He appeared to be nervous as he prepared to preach, yet once he opened his mouth, God was faithful to fill it with His Word.

Ryan preached for about 30 minutes and then stood down. While he was preaching I was hanging around the Bible table, and I noticed a group of young men approach, they all walked to the table and took a bible. So I circled around behind them in order to speak to them. It turned out that they were all professing Christians, and they believed that one has to be good in order to get to heaven. As I started to share the gospel with them, and young couple asked if they could listen as well. Of course I was happy to let them listen in, since it isn’t very often that sinners ask to be witnessed to!

For the next ten to fifteen minutes I got to explain the gospel to this group of young people, and it was such a humbling thing to see God just move upon all that were there and bring conviction upon them. They all went silent as the law revealed their sin, and then they hung on every word as they heard about Christ and how He came to set the captives free. One of them then asked about confessing to a priest, and since I didn’t want to get into a theological discussion about Roman Catholicism, I got them to all open the Bible that they were holding. Then as a group we read 1 John 1:9, and it was at that point it was as if they got it, and they realised that they needed to confess their sins to God alone. I truly believed that I could have got all of them to say the sinners prayer, but I thought it far better to let them think about it, and let God be the one that draws them unto Himself, instead of me trying to force them to a point where they make a ‘decision’. All of them took an in-depth tract, and thanked me for sharing the gospel with them. After I finished witnessing to them I was ready to go home, just seeing God bring conviction upon them, and then revealing Himself to them so that they grasped salvation was some awe inspiring. But the bit that struck me the most was that I had nothing to do with it. God was displaying His Sovereign might in this encounter and all I could do was watch.

Then it was time to put another preacher up, so Tim Neale jumped up and he preached really well. For a bloke who is more on the quiet side he projected his voice very well, and I think it was the loudest he has ever preached. Given time I believe Tim will turn into a very gifted open air preacher.

After Tim I ended up preaching, so I started off by talking about the reality of death, and how we commit sin because we are sinners by nature. A few people began to gather, and then a young woman named Wednesday entered into the fray. Wednesday was your typical Satanist, she had a hatred for God, and she was going to let everyone know about it. She started in by saying there wasn’t any proof that Jesus existed, so I took her through a couple of secular historians who wrote at the time, and recorded about Christ. She then admitted that there was a man, and she believed that He did many wonderful works. But she wouldn’t admit that He was God.

Her next attack was to say that the Bible was sexist, this stirred the crowd, and more people began to stop. To her claims of sexism, I asked her, “Do you think a husband should be prepared to die for his wife?” She replied that she thought that was good. So I asked her another question, “Do you think a husband should love his wife, and be prepared to lay down his life for her?” Again she replied that she did. Then I told her that is exactly what the Bible teaches, which seemed to shock her.

Around this time another heckler entered in, and he just made some outlandish statements, which I didn’t answer, for people in the crowd began to heckle the heckler. In reply he turned and cursed a bunch of teenage girls, so I told him to watch his language, since there were ladies present. He didn’t like that, so he turned and let fly a long list of foul speech at me. This time a female from the crowd stepped in and started to curse at the teenagers. So again I reminded her that ladies were present, so would she please watch her language. Of course she yelled that she was a lady, to which I replied that she was a female, but not a lady for a lady would never use language like that. She then turned and walked off.

The next heckler then called out “Can you see God? Can you see Him running around? NO! That proves He isn’t real!” The argument of “Can’t see, thus doesn’t exist” is a common argument that atheists throw out to attack the concept of God, but if they sat down and thought about it, they would surely see the absurdity of their argument. So in reply to the heckler, I just asked if he has seen his brain. He replied that he hadn’t, then it seemed to click that his argument had failed.

After that there weren’t any more hecklers, but the crowd stayed, and kept growing. I have never seen a crowd grow from straight preaching, and there being no hecklers. Yet that was happening. As I preached on I stressed how we need to look unto Jesus and be saved, and from where I was preaching you could see the conviction in the faces of those listening. Tonight was the hardest I have preached in a long time, and when I stood down I was physically hurting. But it was worth it, just to see people hear the gospel.

Andrew Hsu then began to preach, and some of the crowd remained to listen to him as well. Right away he had a heckler who was a grandson of a minister, so that created an interesting conversation. Andrew started to fire up, and I haven’t seen him preach like this for a long time. His voice was dripping with passion as he declared the everlasting gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Andrew finished preaching at midnight, but our night was far from over. For the next two hours one to one conversations continued in the Queen Street Mall. Praise God for faithfully bringing people under the sound of the gospel!

2007/7/30 7:28Profile
Willo

Re:

[b] Saturday, 4 August, 2007[/b]

To say the night was interesting would be a massive understatement. The night was one of a running battle from start to finish, yet through it all God showed Himself to be the mighty one to save!

We met as per normal in King George Square, and as the team began to assemble a bunch of Satanists who we encounter quite regularly came over to chat. The leader of the pack was one of the most vile hecklers we can get in Brisbane, yet for the time being he was polite. We chatted for a short time and then without warning it was as if another person had taken over. He went from having a decent conversation to wanting to kill us. He jumped up and down and screamed curses upon us, and blasphemed God. So we responded the only way we could, and that was with the sword of the Spirit.

I tried to reason with him, but by now it was clear that I wasn’t dealing with the same person I was talking to a few minutes previous. So I pulled out 1 John 3:8, and told the young man that Christ came to destroy the works of the devil. That scripture made him explode in anger for then he went on to try and prove how Christ had failed, and they were not destroyed.

The young man then turned to me, and said that he had the authority to kill me as a sacrifice to his dark lord. To which I replied; “You have no authority except that which God has given you, and if you can kill me then do me a favour and send me home to Glory”.

He then backed off, and it was clear that God had not given him the authority to kill, so then he went from attacking me to attacking Andrew. He faced and Hsuy and said, “I can slice your throat open now, and then get this group to maul on your flesh til you are dead” (he then went on to describe the sexual acts they would do to the body). Andre just looked at him, and tilted his head back, and said “Go ahead and slice it”. Again he backed off, and that was enough for Andrew to open fire with the Word of God. Hsuy turned the Sword upon those Satanists and declared that Christ was the victorious ones, and how they have no power. The leader of the satanic group then began to back away from the area, and his group quickly followed. Yet as they retreated across the square they were still cursing us, and shouting that they would call all the dark spirits to destroy us and the ministry that we have.

All this and we hadn’t even started preaching yet! We then spent time in prayer and Bible reading as we made ready for the rest of the combat to come that night.

When we got to the mall there was this strange man standing where we preach, he then started to snarl and throw his mobile phone on the ground as we began to unpack. So one of the team went to pick up the phone for the man, which caused the man to yell at him, and then storm off. Things were shaping up as a night that was going to be interesting…

Andrew Hsuy was the first preacher up, and he did a decent job of declaring the gospel. Tonight he only preached a short message yet it was one packed with biblical truth. A small group gathered, which was by far better than we expected for the mall was nearly empty, which was surprising for a Saturday night.

I was standing at the Bible table making sure we had everything in order when I noticed that the group of Satanists were back. Including one who was standing behind Desma which was very close to our team video camera. So I grabbed a couple of the male members of the team, and placed them in positions where they could respond if the need arose.

The Satanists kept circling the preaching as if they were trying to intimidate the preacher. But Andrew ignored them and kept on preaching the gospel.

After Andrew finished preaching, Kevin decided to jump up and have a bash. He did extremely well. For over an hour he faithfully declared the full counsel of God, and dealt with those hecklers who had some questions to ask in regards to Christianity.

Just after Kev stood down from preaching we noticed a large contingent of Queensland Police rushing up the mall. So we watched them for a few moments, and then we saw them stop and begin questioning a large number of youth right in front of our preaching area. This was frustrating for it meant that we couldn’t preach until the police had gone, and it didn’t look like they were moving soon, since there were 11 officers, and 2 vehicles.

We decided just to hand out tracts and witness to people, yet when you have a team of 15 + you find that the small area of the Queen street mall gets over crowed with people witnessing. So all we could do was sit back and hope the police moved soon.

At around 11:10pm the police finally moved on, and I must admit that I was really frustrated about having to wait so long. Yet looking back on it now, all I can see the Sovereign hand of God upon the situation.

I began to preach, and a few people stopped to listen. I had one heckler who I started to engage but before I could answer his questions, a drunk man named Owen entered the scene. Now Owen was your typical drunk, he was foul mouthed, and really loud. Plus like every drunk we seem to encounter he was a ‘theologian’.

Owen didn’t wish to stand in front of me to talk, but rather he wanted to stand next to me and hug me. This is kinda off putting when you are trying to declare the gospel to a crowd of people. Owen began to declare to the crowd that they should listen to me, and believe in Jesus for He will fix up all there problems.

After awhile Owen finally moved in front of me, and the reason he did this was because Hsuy was standing with him. So he went from hugging me to hugging Andrew. Something which Andrew didn’t look really impressed about.

Then it came time for my first heckler to start arguing with Owen. Since now Owen was declaring that he was an agnostic and listening all the reasons why he didn’t believe that he could know who God is. My first heckler named Shane used some simple logic to shoot down the agnostic worldview. Then Owen started to ignore Shane and wanted to speak only to me.

So I asked Owen, “Have you got a church background?” He replied that he did, “Did that church tell you that Jesus loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life?” Again he yelled out ‘YES!’, “Did that church tell you that Jesus will fix all your problems?” For the third time he shouted out in the affirmative. Then I asked “Did that church ever tell you that you are a wicked sinner in the sight of God and that you need to repent and put your trust in Christ Jesus?” This time he yelled out “NO!” So we had identified the root cause of the problem, this man was a product of a unbiblical message, and was indeed a false convert.

When I started to list sin, and how we are all guilty of breaking the laws of God, he quickly made an excuse and left. I was actually relieved to see him go, for he was a handful to control. Running through my mind now was “I want to get down and go home, this has been a terrible night”. Yet God was Sovereignly working on the heart of a person who was standing in the back of the crowd.

I thought it would be nice to declare the gospel once more before standing down, and as soon as I began to talk Owen came back! This time just to shake my hand, and as he shook it he said “Do you know why I am here?” To which I replied “You are hear to stop the preaching”. At that he walked away.

Seeing that I had about four men standing in the back who were Muslims, and also a young man standing off to their right I decided to do a call out. So I pointed to the young man standing by himself and said “Sir, what do you think happens when someone dies?” The man paused and thought about it, he then said “Good people go to heaven, and bad to hell.” So I followed up by asking which camp did he fall in, he stated he didn’t know but wished he did. This time I asked him “What if I could do a quick test, and at the end you will know where you will end up?” He said he wanted to do the test, so from there we launched into the Good person test, and we examined him under the law of God.

By now I had found out that his name was Chris, and as we got to the end of the law he admitted that he was bound for hell, and that it really concerned him. I then took the time to explain to him what hell was like, and how there was no escape. You could see that Chris was under heavy conviction now. I looked at him and thought that he was ready to hear the message of grace, so I explained to him about Christ and how He came to die for those who would come unto Him in repentance.

It appeared that Chris was on the point of crying. So I carefully explained the gospel, and how we need to humble come to Christ and trust in Him alone to save us. Then after that I asked him “What is stopping you from repenting and trusting in Christ tonight?” He replied that there was nothing holding him back. By now our permit had run out, so I told Chris that I wanted to speak to him after I finished preaching. I quickly wrapped it up and then started to talk to Chris.

Again I went over the gospel, just to make sure he understood it. And it was clear that he had grasped it, and then in the middle of the Queen street mall at about 12:15am, Chris humbled himself in the sight of God and cried out for mercy.

I have seen people come to repentance through one to ones, but never have I seen someone repent after an open air sermon. After Chris had finished praying I was able to pray with him. He left us with a Bible and a Save Yourself Some Pain. Also I was able to get his email address. Please continue to lift Chris up in prayer!

After a night that I thought was hard, and a night where it was battle from start to finish, it was truly amazing to see God save a soul in the middle of the mall. Despite the times I wanted to quit for the night, God still had ordained everything in His Sovereignty that He might receive all the Glory!

2007/8/6 7:28Profile
Willo

Re:

[b] Saturday, 11 August, 2007 [/b]

After an interesting week previous, I was expecting yet another night of excitement. We began the night as usual by spending time in prayer, and reading together as a team from the Bible. Then at 9pm we went up to the Queen Street Mall to begin the ministry for the night.

When we arrived at our normal preaching spot we found Pear sitting there playing a guitar. Pear is one of those interesting characters that you meet on the street, he considers himself to be one of the two witnesses of Revelation. So I greeted him, he just looked at me and packed up. Then without saying a word he left.

While we were setting up the Satanists from last week again approached and stated that they were present to hear the preaching, and to disrupt the preaching. So a decision was made quickly that I should be the first preacher up instead of a relatively new preacher.

Before I got up the Satanists started to rant about how there are prosperity preachers on TV that only want your money. They then began to ridicule God, and mock the Bible because of the charlatans that are ever present in the clothes of wolves. So I began my open air sermon by reading out 2 Peter 2:1-6, and then preached against those preachers that will try and make money out of you.

The Satanists weren’t interested so they began to open up with some of the most vile heckles I have ever heard. They went into a lot explicate sexual details, and openly blasphemed God. The leader of the group was the most vocal and it soon became clear that he was well educated, for he had grasp of a lot of scripture, theology, and even Koine Greek. This made me question him about his background in the church, he wouldn’t go into it but to say that he had a church background and was hurt by them.

It was hard going dealing with the Satanist, but eventually he backed off after about a 45 minutes confrontation, as he walked away I preached for a few more minutes before tagging in Andrew to continue to proclamation of the gospel.

As soon as I stood down a man came rushing up to me and got right up in my face, he was really quite angry at Christianity because his daughter had been sexually abused by a man professing to be a Christian, and that mans pastor had covered it up. I gently spoke to the man and informed him that I too would be angry, and also that God is angry and will judge those who harm children. The man was really angry and wanted to fight the issue out, but eventually he left, still twisted and hating God.

Then it was on again with the Satanists, this time they wanted to argue with me on a one to one level. So I spoke to them, and tried to address their questions. I could see that the Bible was starting to take an affect on a couple of them for they had softened a lot towards the gospel, and they seemed to want to know more, but the leader wouldn’t let them speak or listen. As we spoke the leader said his job was to stop everyone on the team from witnessing, and he bragged about how he and his gang had stopped us all. So I got him to turn around and look at the team. Each member of the team was witnessing and handing out tracts. This sent him off on another rage, then one of the gang said they were hungry. It was at that point I thought of a great chance to witness, so I offered to buy them all dinner, this sent the group into silence, and the leader didn’t know what to say. Only one of the gang members took me up on the offer, and as we went to get dinner he was very open to talking about the gospel. After this point the Satanists left, and we were free to continue preaching without having to battle them.

Ryan then brought the night home by preaching a good solid gospel message, but towards the end two men came up and started to make threats, one of them sized me up and started to have a go at me, and then he rushed at our video camera. Eventually he calmed down (after the police had a go at him), and his partner left with a gospel tract, and my email address.

Praise God that He only is Victorious, and that the enemy cannot thwart the plans of God!

2007/8/13 8:23Profile
Willo

Re:

[b] Saturday, 18 August 2007 [/b]

The night began with an interesting twist. As I was preparing to leave my house we could hear a lot of sirens from emergency vehicles not knowing where they were Dad decided to go out the front to see if he could see them, and to our surprise they had stopped next door. It turned out that our neighbour had suffered a major heart attack. This served as a reminded to me that those who we know are staring down the barrel of eternity, and no matter who they are one day they will face God and give an account of themselves.

So I jumped in the car with these thoughts running through my mind, and then as I turned the car on, I noticed that I had no headlights, and thus I could not drive into the city, but fortunately my parents were able to lend me their car for the night. So after many delays I was finally on the way to Brisbane.

When I arrived in the city I decided to call David and Anna Gee in the UK to see if they had any prayer requests. After chatting to them we had a time of prayer and team Bible reading. Then after we had spent time fellowshipping together we headed to the mall to preach the gospel.

Andrew was the first preacher up for the night, and he did a great job of unfolding the everlasting gospel of Christ, during this time he was getting heckled by a man who was very hard hearted. Hsuy did a great job of defending the gospel of Christ and kept returning the hecklers conscience.

During Andrew’s sermon I noticed that a old heckler of ours was floating about, this heckler was one of the most hostile Muslim hecklers we have ever had. As I approached him he got antsy and backed away, but a friend of his decided it would be good to talk about religion. So we chatted for awhile and then he started to quote how I couldn’t speak to him since I could not speak in Arabic. So I called a friend of mine in Sydney who is fluent in Arabic. The Muslim man appeared shocked as he heard my friend speak to him in Arabic. During this conversation I noticed the Muslim man keep flinching as if he was in pain. This didn’t make sense to me till after he handed my phone back. It turned out that a few hours previous he was involved in a fight and as a result he had been stabbed. He then showed me his stab wound, which was still open and untreated. So I called over Tanya who is a registered nurse, she looked at it and applied a bandage, this shocked the Muslim man since he couldn’t work out why a Christian would look after him. After a brief chat he left with a gospel tract, and saying he wanted to learn more. Please keep him in prayer.

By now Kevin was up preaching the gospel, he was firing up on the soap box and quite a decent size crowd gathered. He did get a few angry hecklers that yelled out that he was ignorant, but Kev just remained on the gospel and exhorted them to turn and trust in Christ alone to save them. While he was preaching groups of people stopped and began to sit on the ground in front of the preacher to listen. Some even asked decent questions, and for over an hour Kev reasoned with them from the Word of God.

At around 11:15pm it came my turn to get up, and as I got up to preach I noticed that a lot of those sitting on the ground were not moving, but rather they wanted to keep asking questions. So for the next hour I answered their questions to the best of my ability. The hot topic for the night seemed to be homosexuality. This is always a delicate subject since you know that at any minutes a homosexual is going to walk past and become really abusive. After a while the topic moved to atheism, and how can we know that there is a God. A couple of the hecklers were quite receptive, but there were a few whose mission was to make Christians look like idiots.

Overall it was a good night!

Praise God for His Faithfulness!

2007/8/20 9:07Profile
Willo

Re:

[b] Saturday, 25 August, 2007 [/b]

The day began early, I had to be at Gold Coast Baptist Church by 8am to prepare for the first every Operation 513 evangelism training day. The weather was shocking for the event, and as I woke I realised that it was cold, wet and windy. So it was a case of mind over mattress.

The training day went well, Andrew Hsu started the preaching off by preaching a sermon on Acts 17 about the Nature of God, there was a passion in his voice as he declared about who God is, and how we as the modern church don’t seem to get it.

After his sermon we had a short break, and then it was my turn, my sermon title: “The Nature of Man, and the Use of the Law” - based on Romans 7:7. The purpose of my sermon was to make a case of man being totally depraved, and also how the law must precede the gospel presentation, unless we wish to become guilty by giving that which is holy to the dogs.

Josh Mitchell was the last preacher and he spoke on the topic “What is not the Gospel”, which went very well, for a preacher he is very animated, and he presents a solid message. After Josh finished we had lunch then taught the group more practically how to share their faith. At around 2:30pm the day finished.

While the training aspect had come to an end, then day was still young for the Operation 513 Brisbane Evangelism team since we had an outreach that night.

I was very tired by the time we got to Brisbane at 7:30pm, but God is always faithful to give you that bit of energy to push through to the close of play. I had decided not to preach for the night, so we had arranged Ryan and Kevin to both preach the gospel. Although that later changed…

Ryan was the first preacher up for the night, and for someone who has only been open air preaching for a short time he is doing a wonderful job. HE declared the full gospel, and he is improving on handling hecklers. Given time I believe he will turn into a gifted preacher.

While Ryan was preaching I got the itch to preach, so Hsuy suggested that I go up before Kevin, since I normally preach for awhile. So I jumped up and started by making a public service announcement, which was that we are all looking down the barrel of eternity. It wasn’t long before some hecklers had arrived, but the problem tonight was that the vast majority of those hecklers were drunk. But then Garth entered in, one of the most vile foul mouthed hecklers we have ever had. He started in by unleashing some of the most hateful blasphemy against God that I have heard, and as I listened to him I went through a range of emotions.

First I experienced anger at him using our God’s name in such away that was disgusting. Secondly I was wanting to weep that he was abusing God, and thirdly I wanted to weep for him because he was so deceived.

He was hard going, and it got to the point where the Queensland Police posted two police officers to stand with the crowd for most of the night. After awhile Garth started talking to other members of the team, which freed me up to preach the gospel.

After I stepped down Kevin jumped up and declared the gospel, but I wasn’t able to listen to it, since I was talking to Garth in back play. He was an entirely different person now, and in some sense he was even apologetic about his behaviour. Dan was able to present the gospel to him in a way that he understood it. He also took a tract so please keep him in prayer.

As midnight rolled around we began to pack up but there were two hecklers floating around. One of which the police had moved on about 20 minutes earlier. One of these hecklers professed to be a church going Christian who lived in a constant lifestyle of sin which he was unrepentant of. So Dan was dealing with him, but his mate decided to get abusive towards the rest of us. For most of the confrontation I believed that he was going to get violent, so I positioned myself in away that I could defend myself, as well as the other members of the team. This running confrontation lasted for about 30 minutes, and then we were able to break off and head home.

Needless to say we are all exhausted from the long day, but God be praised that His Word went forth!

2007/8/27 9:41Profile
Willo

Re:

[b] Saturday, 1 September, 2007 [/b]

Tonight was the night of the River Fire festival, and for the previous two years we have found that this night was the wildest of all the nights of the year, so it was with that in mind that we organised extra troops for the 500 000 + people who would be swarming around the Queen street mall.

Due to the fireworks, Josh Mitchell and I had to get there earlier, as soon as we got to the city we started handing out tracts to as many people as possible, in around 40 minutes of tract work we had handed out over 400 tracts each, and that was just a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands who did not have gospel tracts.

At 7:30pm we withdrew to King George square for our team prayer and Bible reading, and as we entered the square we saw a decent size crowd of young people all kitted out in black. So Josh Mitchell decided to go over and witness to them. The crowd was hostile as he opened up the scriptures but a few listened and took tracts. Shortly after Josh finished witnessing to them, the police came and raided the group and took away their alcohol.
As 9pm rolled around we positioned ourselves in our normal preaching spot, and started to set up for the night. Within minutes of arriving members of the team had run out of tracts. There was a lot of gospel going out tonight, we had all the preaching kit set up for 9:20pm and I was the first preacher up.

A crowd gathered very quickly, and it began to grow into one of the biggest crowds we have seen the mall. But wherever there is a crowd there are those who wish to play the fool, and it happened that in this crowd that there were three of them who decided to have public display of nudity during the preaching. The crowd encouraged the three young men to keep on flashing us, and then this man in his mid thirties came and sat down in front of me, this wasn’t the strange part, the odd thing was that he was only wearing a pair of underpants, and he was filming me. This night was indeed turning out to be strange! During this time the police came and took away one the dancers who were flashing us, and then the crowd began to grow yet again.

Then a heckler entered who claimed to be a Christian, but the thing is that throughout the preaching he cursed, blasphemed, and mocked the Bible. He also became very angry when he was challenged on the fact that he may not be a Christian. He got very vocal and was abusing me when a police officer come up behind me and told me to stop preaching.

So I tagged Josh Mitchell in and I went to speak to the officer. The constable said that I was a public nuisance and that they would object to our permit, he then asked me what I would do then. I replied that if he took away our permit I would continue to preach since we have freedom under the Australian constitution. This surprised him a bit and then he pointed out that the crowd was getting angry. So I used him as an illustration to show that when the law enters in the law breakers get angry. He agreed, so I proceeded to witness to him. Please pray that the officer will be converted.

After that I was tagged back in the preach some more. The original hecklers were still there and I preached for about another 30 minutes before wrapping it up. Then the one to ones began. We were able to have quite a few good conversations, and pass out even more tracts. Then at 11:30pm Andrew got up and preached till the end of the night.

Even though the night was hectic, and we had large unruly crowds, the gospel still went forth!

2007/9/3 8:47Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy