Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Preaching and Teaching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Nasher

Watford, UK

Preaching and Teaching

What is the difference (if any) between preaching and teaching?

The first time the word preach is used (in the AV) is in Nehemiah 6:7
And thou hast also appointed prophets to preach of thee at Jerusalem, saying, There is a king in Judah: and now shall it be reported to the king according to these words. Come now therefore, and let us take counsel together.

The Hebrew word here is qaraÆ and here is the Strong's lexicon definition:
07121. qaraÆ kaw-raw’; a primitive root [rather identical with 07122 through the idea of accosting a person met]; to call out to (i.e. properly, address by name, but used in a wide variety of applications):—bewray [self], that are bidden, call (for, forth, self, upon), cry (unto), (be) famous, guest, invite, mention, (give) name, preach, (make) proclaim(-ation), pronounce, publish, read, renowned, say.

The first time the word teach is used (in the AV) is in Exodus 4:12
Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.

The Hebrew word here is yarah and here is the Strong's lexicon definition:

03384. yarah yaw-raw’; or (#2Ch 26:15) yaraÆ yaw-raw’; a primitive root; properly, to flow as water (i.e. to rain); transitively, to lay or throw (especially an arrow, i.e. to shoot); figuratively, to point out (as if by aiming the finger), to teach:— (+) archer, cast, direct, inform, instruct, lay, shew, shoot, teach(-er, -ing), through.

Here are some verses that include both preach and teach to get us started:

Matthew 4:23
And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease among the people.

Matthew 11:1
Now it came to pass, when Jesus finished commanding His twelve disciples, that He departed from there to teach and to preach in their cities.

Acts 28:31
preaching the kingdom of God and teaching the things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ with all confidence, no one forbidding him.

Romans 2:21
You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that a man should not steal, do you steal?

Colossians 1:28
Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 4:2
Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

2003/11/13 5:23Profile
todd

California

Re: Preaching and Teaching

I think a simple way to look at it is this:

Preachers proclaim the truth; teachers talk about it.

2003/11/15 19:24Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Preachers proclaim the truth; teachers talk about it.

I often share the platform at conferences with a brother here in the UK and abroad. He sometimes says 'I like working with you; you explain why I believe what I believe'. I usually reply 'I like working with you; you tell them what to do with it'.

This isn't the whole story of the difference between a preacher and a teacher but it is a definite ingredient.

For a bit more detail I would recommend you look at the words used. The word for preacher in the OT and NT usually has links with someone who lifts up his voice; hence a herald. The thrust of his work is usually an heraldic proclamation and his purpose to to provoke a response in the hearer. It is aggressive and penetrating and it will often have a prophetic edge to it; this is the day, thou art the man. You can almost see the pointed finger.

The teacher's role is more in terms of pastoral provision. It systematises truth and has in mind 'the full assurance of understanding'. These hands are open to guide, reassure and feed.

2003/11/17 7:19Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

Dear Ron,
Please, allow me to declare that your graphic deciphering of the two offices receives highest ranking out here.
Lars

2003/11/17 7:24Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

I know this is going off topic but this was my reasoning behind asking the first question, in 1 timothy 2:12 it says:

12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.(NKJV)

Are women allowed to preach to men in Churches?

2003/11/17 11:27Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.(NKJV)

Quote:
Are women allowed to preach to men in Churches?

Are you making a conscious distinction between preach and teach?

2003/11/19 9:52Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Quote:
Are you making a conscious distinction between preach and teach?

Not at this point I hope, I'm trying to get one of you lot to do it. ;-)

2003/11/19 10:50Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Not at this point, I'm trying to get one of you lot to do it

ah, but one of the greatest services a teacher can do it to get the student to ask the right questions. ;-)

2003/11/19 10:52Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Ok then, here's what I really want to know - what are women not allowed to do in the Church that men are allowed to do in the Church? :-?

Are there any exceptions? :-o

2003/11/19 11:06Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Nasher
I'm not going to give a definitive answer but here are some comments..

Some years ago a UK preacher, David Pawson, wrote a book entitled 'Leadership is Male'. This book caused a fair bit of upset, especially among the missionary community. I have a lot of sympathy with Pawson's book but I would like to change the title; I would prefer 'Authority is Male'.

I know sisters who have very great gifts and I am happy to tuck in behind them. We have sisters in our church who can 'lead' the whole church when they pray; they can set the theme and pattern and others will follow them. I believe this is acceptable from a scriptural point of view. I tend to see 'leadership' as an event rather than as an office.

Authority and government is of another nature and I do not believe it is appropriate for a sister to hold continuing authority in the church. That 'in the church' is added very deliberately. I think it is 'in the church' that the pattern of headship and authority reveals that 'authority is male'. Here, in the UK, we have a queen and we used to have a female prime minister; I have no problems with these functions being in the hands of a woman.

The church is to be a demonstation NOW, to principalities and powers in the heavenelies, of the manifold wisdom of God. Eph 3:10 In that sense the church gathered together, under its Head, has a different set of principles at work than the outside world (or even parachurch organisations).

In my understanding it has nothing to do with superiority or spirituality but is part of the 'image' that is built into Christ and His church.

I would love to hear what others have to say on this issue.

2003/11/19 11:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy