Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Preacher Vrs Prophet

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Preacher Vrs Prophet

I have been thinking about this question for some time and have wondered what is the answer. What is the difference between a preacher and a prophet?

As far as I know, a preacher preaches the Word of God. A prophet is a messenger who speaks the Word of God. Are they not one and the same?

Some might say, "Well a prophet predicts future events." However, that is not true. A prophet merely speaks what the Lord tells them. They are a messenger. Sometimes, this may include future events. However, the prophet is not making predictions. The prophet is merely speaking the message as delivered by God. Likewise, a preacher should also be merely speaking the message as delivered by the Holy Spirit.

Also, something else that I was thinking about:

In Old Testament times, God sent prophets to speak to the people. However, in New Testament times, God has sent His Holy Spirit into all His people. And so, why would God need to send any prophets? Is His Holy Spirit not sufficient?

Just some thoughts. I don't know the answer and I am curious to hear what you all think.

Thanks,

Blake

2005/9/10 12:42Profile

Re: Preacher Vrs Prophet

I kinda understand where this question is coming from, and I am glad to see you asking it.

Many groups do consider the preaching of the Word of God to be prophetic. Surely Keith Green was one who had a word from the Lord for his generation, but he was not one who predicted the future.

In the OT, and in the NT there were those who prophetically spoke about the future. Look at the entire book of Revelation. I do believe that today there are times when the Lord may use someone in this fashion, however I am very conservative about it. I do not believe in 90% of what passes for prophecy in the church today mainly because I see far too much foolishness involved in it. Wrong predictions make false prophets and vice versa. The devil has a counterfeit for everything.

But if the Lord lays it on my heart to preach His Word to a group of people, and I warn them of their sin and of their eternal destination if they do not turn from their sin and repent... that is the greatest prophetic message anyone can deliver.

Too many Christians are caught up trying to be fortune tellers, which is actually condemned in the OT, that they miss the real prophetic messages that God wants delivered. Sooo many people want to be God's prophet that they overlook the fact that almost all of the prophets in the Bible were relunctant. They didnt want to deliver God's message. Some ran away... like Jonah. And all God wanted Jonah to tell the people of Ninevah was to repent.

Krispy

2005/9/10 14:57
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

I agree with krispy on his assertion that most of what passes today *edit* as prophecy is probably not kosher. (although 90% is a little high ;)

personally I have always understood a preaher to be one who procalimed the good news. one who shared the Gospel.

i think as a whole that the church of the west has lost sight of what a "preacher" really is due to the fact that most associate it with a pulpit type ministry.

Prophets, this is just my take on it, are those that recieve insight to the scriptures from the Holy Spirit to see the prophetic implications and how to apply them today (e.g. Wilkerson) I do belive (cautiously) in the decleration of coming events through the proper operation of the GIFT of prophcey.

But i tended to muddle up my thinking when i say this because if gift comes upon someone to speak a prophetic word does that make them a prophet? Or simply an instrument. I can play Bass, but that doesn't make me a bassist. sorry if i just heaped more confusion or opened more questions.

2005/9/10 15:22Profile

Quote:

beenblake wrote:

What is the difference between a preacher and a prophet?

[url=http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Preacher]Preacher[/url]

"One who preaches, especially one who publicly proclaims the gospel for an occupation. ;

someone whose occupation is preaching the gospel [syn: preacher man, sermonizer, sermoniser]"

Here are some verses that tie into "Preacher" in the Amplified ("Preacher" is found 16 times in the AMP, and 11 in NASB, ESV, KJV)

Ecclesiastes 1:1
Ecclesiastes 1:2
Ecclesiastes 1:12
Ecclesiastes 7:27
Ecclesiastes 12:8
Ecclesiastes 12:9
Ecclesiastes 12:10
Acts 15:21
Romans 10:14
1 Corinthians 9:18
1 Corinthians 12:28
Ephesians 4:11
1 Timothy 2:7
2 Timothy 1:11
2 Timothy 4:2
2 Peter 2:5

It seems the major theme that keeps arising is that the Preacher speaks WISDOM. That wisdom could be a proverb (Ecc.) or the gospel. Non the less, he spoke wise words, that people would turn from one act to another. Speaking something to people that they my change for the better, spiritually. (I.e. repentance, or a wise choice)

You could be a preacher and not be Christian. In that conclusion. (*FYI*). Meaning you can say 'wise' things that are truly biblical, but still not be saved yourself. Wisdom prepares you for the future, it CAN be considered prophetic, but isn't, just wise. Think of your grandfather or someone with alot of wisdom. Sometimes you might feel they are 'preaching' to you. And they are, because they are wise. Wise people 'preach'.

Preacher = Wise person

[url=http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Prophet]Prophet[/url]

"1. A person who speaks by divine inspiration or as the interpreter through whom the will of a god is expressed.
2. A person gifted with profound moral insight and exceptional powers of expression.
3. A predictor; a soothsayer.
4. The chief spokesperson of a movement or cause. ;

1: an authoritative person who divines the future [syn: oracle, seer, vaticinator] 2: someone who speaks by divine inspiration; someone who is an interpreter of the will of God

Prophet is listed 454 in the KJV.
461-NASB
508-AMP
456-ESV

There are many times in scripture where it refers to a prophet that sees/knows the future. But it is an inspiration straight from God to you personally for others. It includes dreams, visions, movements (like symbolically stuff..Ezekial laying on his side), futuristic events, or something that you need to hear from God.

The office of the prophet is STRAIGHT from God, it's not 'wisdom' but perfect wisdom, at the perfect time. A message that needs to be said.

Prophet = God inspired (perfect words), God moved (spoken at perfect time)

Quote:

In Old Testament times, God sent prophets to speak to the people. However, in New Testament times, God has sent His Holy Spirit into all His people. And so, why would God need to send any prophets? Is His Holy Spirit not sufficient?

God doesn't change my friend. In the OT and in the NT God used prophets.
Acts 13:1
Acts 15:32
Acts 21:10
Acts 28:25
And it continues on today.

We may hear God's voice, but we may not know His will in a certain situation. And this, and many other reasons, the prophet is still around.

A prophesy, and a prophet are different things. As the one said before me. "If i play the bass, that doesn't make me a bassist".

Prophesy is needed in the church, with a list of other things. But i hope that cleared up what a 'prophet and preacher' were.

2005/9/10 22:36
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Thank you all for the input.

Based on what has been said, I gather this:

A preacher preaches in accord with thier own understanding. Thier words are not directly from God, but are inspired by God through the wisdom He has delivered.

A prophet speaks the exact words of the Lord as given.

Thanks,
Blake

2005/9/11 18:23Profile

Re:

"A preacher makes a pulpit famous. A prophet makes a prison famous."

Leonard Ravenhill

2005/9/11 18:37
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Blake,

Quote:

A preacher preaches in accord with thier own understanding. Thier words are not directly from God, but are inspired by God through the wisdom He has delivered.

I would fully agree with your description as it seems to be what is in accord with Scripture.

Thus a preacher will have spent much time in study searching out the Scriptures, and will teach what he has learned in doing so. A prophet is not one who prepares his message beforehand, and does not speak as a result of simply having studied something out. A prophet speaks what "thus says" the Lord. He's speaking exactly what God wants to say right then and there.

As God said of the prophetic ministry in Deuteronomy 18, that He would put His words in the prophet's mouth, and the prophet would in turn speak whatever it is God commanded Him to speak, word for word. If we were to falsely elevate all "preaching" as being equivalent to "prophecy," as many people do, then we would have to declare many many men as false prophets, as many preachers mistakenly say things all the time from the pulpit that are not in accord with Scripture.

In my opinion, I believe many teachers/preachers from time to time speak prophetically in parts of their messages, though perhaps for many, without even always being aware of the fact.

If it is any help to you, I believe the Lord has called me to be a teacher, preacher, and prophet. When I teach in the Church, or preach on a street corner, the Lord leads me to speak on certain ideas. While I generally know the topic I will preach on, and some of the Scriptures I will use, to a great degree, I end up picking what words I will say and how I will say them when I minister in those gifts. Thus, I spend much time in prayer in making sure I say the right things, and that it is sound doctrine, and that I speak it with the right attitude, one that reflects the heart of God. I sometimes seek advice from other teachers and preachers on how to minister on certain things, and various approaches I might take, and seek wisdom from them and God.

However, the rare times I speak prophetically, I always know exactly what needs to be said. I am never found wanting for one word. Often it is in a public worship setting in the Church, and is entirely spontaneous. The only "thought" I might give anything is while I'm waiting patiently to speak in proper order (e.g. a break in the public worship), I meditate on what God is going to say, and search my own heart before I say it, and attempt to discern if it is truly the Spirit giving me these words before I stand to speak.

2005/9/11 22:26Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

"A preacher makes a pulpit famous. A prophet makes a prison famous."

Leonard Ravenhill

As great as these sayings that Ravenhill and others have said regarding prophetic ministry and such, I believe we must be careful. Comments like this while striking and easily memorable, are full of romanticism, and aren't quite based in reality.

Scripturally speaking, this comment is entirely indefensable.

2005/9/11 22:31Profile
PaulWiglaf

Hartselle, Alabama

Re:

Actually, Jeremiah found himself cast into prison several times for his ministry (Jer. 32:2; 37:15; 38:6), as well as Macaiah (1 Kings 22:27, read ch 22 for clarity). Also, Joseph could possibly be called a prophet, in that he spoke God's interpretation of each man's dreams (Gen. 40:5-23). There was also Hanani the seer who withstood King Asa and was thrown into prison.(2 Chron. 16:7-10)

Therefore, Ravenhill's statement isn't totally defenseless, though not all prophets were cast into prison. Let us also remember what the writer of Hebrews says, "...others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment..." (Heb. 11:35,36)

2005/9/12 0:10Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
As great as these sayings that Ravenhill and others have said regarding prophetic ministry and such, I believe we must be careful.

I tend to agree. Off hand there is a kind of wit and bravuro in these quotable quotes but we can't take them too serious or we might conclude that Ravenhill held a little contempt for preachers.

There are many preachers who are probably tempted to feel from time to time they are in a prison themselves, laboring prayerfully and faithfully over lifeless congregations without giving in to the thought of leaving for greener grass.

Quote:
I believe the Lord has called me to be a teacher, preacher, and prophet.

This brings up a question. Is there such thing as a 100% prophet or preacher, or teacher? Doesn't the prophet study the written Word and even theology? Hasn't the teacher felt the Holy Spirit quicken the scholarly knowledge of scripture in order to prophesy?

MC

2005/9/12 0:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy