SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : This message changed my life...!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

This message changed my life...!

Hello Everyone...!

Have you ever had a book, message or experience that literally changed your life?

There are many stories that have been written or told about a sort of "burning bush" moment that some men and women have experienced that changed the course of their lives and ministries forever. For Keith Green, this came after having stayed up all night reading a particular set up books (particularly, one by Charles Finney about true repentence -- later paraphrased in his tract, [i]Breaking Up the Fallowed Ground[/i]). For David Wilkerson, it came after having read 11 pages of a book given to him by Leonard Ravenhill, called [i]A Christian in Complete Armour[/i] by William Gurnall. David Livingstone read the book, [i]Life of Henry Martyn[/i] (concerning his work in China), and later heard a message by Robert Moffat speak about his work in Africa, including the testimony, "...sometimes seen in the morning sun the smoke of a thousand villages where no missionary had ever been." Other men and women of God have spoken about similar situations, where a message or book [i]opened their eyes[/i] to their own spiritual condition, the true state of the world, or both. They shook off the bonds of the [i]status quo[/i], and began to seek for a stronger and more intimate walk with Christ.

For me, the message was [i]Holy Ground[/i], a sermon by David Wilkerson (also available on this website). I had recently committed my heart and life unto the Lord, when I came upon this message that was purchased from [i]Last Days Ministries[/i] by my parents. The message shook my inner-man. It [i]opened my eyes[/i] to the fact (and confirmed the hunger in my heart) that there was a much more real and deeper intimacy available in our walk with the Lord than what was presented and accepted by much of modern Christianity. I later read books (like [i]Why Revival Tarries[/i] and [i]No Compromise[/i]) that exposed the fact that there are others who share this same hunger for [i]true revival[/i] (rather than the traditional and modern definition of [i]revival[/i] as accepted by most).

Have you ever experienced such a life-changing moment as the result of hearing a message from a book or sermon that shook you inside?

:-)

*EDIT*
Here is the link for [i]Holy Ground[/i] by David Wilkerson: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=336

2005/8/27 18:14Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re: This message changed my life...!

For me it was the book "The Road To Reality" by K.P. Yohannan. If you haven't read this book you should.

You can buy this book used on Amazon for $0.01 plus shipping. That's right only $0.01. You can buy it at the link below. You won't be disappointed.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0884192504/qid=1123766870/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9785954-7062203?v=glance&s=books&n=507846]The Road To Reality[/url]

2005/8/27 19:25Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Have you ever experienced such a life-changing moment as the result of hearing a message from a book or sermon that shook you inside?

Yes, yes!! These writers did that for me too. They were incredibly revolutionizing to me - jolting me into a reality that I had never before experienced.

But I have to mention one more book that shook me out of my illusions, and that is the book of Jeremiah. I'll never forget when I read it and suddenly saw our present day generation in it. No longer was it an oldy, moldy book of the Old Testament. It became alive with relevance while at the same time my heart became overwhelmed with a burden for our society - esp the "Christian" religious community.
Diane

2005/8/27 19:33Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

You bet Chris,

The road back to something tangible, that brought me out of the confusion that I found myself in, that I just knew deep down was to be found came largely in part through A.W. Tozer.

First in "Knowledge of The Holy" and then "The Pursuit of God". From there it was the blessed day of discovery, SermonIndex. "Ten Shekels and a Shirt" on to having something inside of me just squirm and chaff at the words from Leonard Ravenhills "Why Revival Tarries". So harsh!

This community of believers has by it's own collective wisdom led on to so many others. The curve balls of Art Katz, the difference of Zac Poonen. The brain stretching of T. Austin Sparks. The praying of E.M. Bounds. The heart passion of Keith Daniel. Oswald Chambers is still re-processing the gray matter.. The 'anguish' of David Wilkerson.

Sorry there isn't just one moment for me, but many. And they still come often. It has made me more contemplative and appreciative of the scriptures themselves and added to the want to diligently search them out, not as can be supposed, that it would lead to following a mere man and his particular 'theology', no, just the opposite.

It is not an overstatement to say that there is life changing messages here. Can speak from experience.

"The Revival Hymn" ranks pretty high on the list...

2005/8/27 20:17Profile

Re:

folks,
if you have not heard any message by this brother named Richard Owen Roberts, i beseech you, please listen at least one of his messages. There is one line he said that most probably will stick with myself forever and ever. I think about that statement every single day- he states: "we are mere incidental in our existence"-- NOW don't run with it brother and sisters... it is not unbiblical... there is a context for what he says but if you care to do know that i suggest you listen his messages. (well if you do care to know what he is trying to convey ask )i am more of giving you a taste to go and listen to this brother... I actually wish that our dear brothers would be able to get more of his messages... I have listened to a good deal of messages from the brothers and sisters from the downloads.
I HAVE YET TO COME ACROSS ANYBODY THAT HAS EVER UNDERSTOOD DEEPER THAN ANYBODY I HAVE EVER HEARD, THE FOUNDATIONAL DOCTRINES OF THE CHRISTIAN LIFE...
let me put it this way:

from Repentance, to Justification, to salvation, to sanctification--- his understanding is incomparable to most of the other people that i have ever heard... maybe it might be skewed in a sense since, he has a gift in sucinctly defining and explaining concepts unlike anyone that i have heard. PLEASE GO LISTEN... I wish i could make you all go listen to him... i think we would have a great edifying discussion after that!

2005/8/28 0:18
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Thank you so much for such a heart felt and inspiring encouragement to listen to Richard Owens. I am a big fan of many of the men on sermonindex (Art Katz, Dave Wilkerson, Keith Daniels, Paris, Leonard Ravenhill and am discovering more and more every day) but I have never heard anything by Richard Owens. I will definitely listen to many sermons by Richard Owens or the next couple of weeks because of your suggestion. Thank you again for such a heart felt encouragement! I will let you know what I think of this man and what he has to say about God. :-)

2005/8/28 0:53Profile

Re: Books of change....

I did not first encounter a very deep and personal relationship with God reading a book. I was just sick of being a religious hypocrite, and had no idea how to correct the problem.

I was invited to a weekend men's religious retreat by a friend. I flatly turned him down. But "something" in me urged me to go. So I told God, that if He did not reveal Himself to me in a real and personal way over that weekend, He would not have to worry about seeing me darken the door of a church again. I was sick of me. That is all I knew.

I did not know anything about protestants. No experience. I was told they were lost, and that pentecostals rolled in the isles. That's it.

On Saturday night of the retreat, we were listening to the message. I have no rememberence of what was being said. All I know is that God showed up in my heart and flooded my soul with His glory. Everything that was wicked and evil in me overflowed from me and I began to weep and worship. (I never had a class in worship, but believe when I say, "this was worship". I ran outside into the parking lot. The night sky was full of a zillion stars, and they all seemed to be worshipping God. So there I was, changed forever, standing all alone with God with my hands raised up, never again to need a book to tell me that God was real and personal.

Now, I'm not against books, mind you. But the bible was the first book that I began to read that started changing my religious beliefs into christian beliefs and theology. I met some Charasmatics and they all carried a bible. I asked them why? "Soul food", was the reply. So I bought myself one and began to read it. It did not take long before I began to discern the difference between dead works of religion and a life of faith. I read things that were in direct contradiction of my religious training and church teaching. I had to make a choice, my religion, or what the bible teaches. Thank God by His grace and mercy, I chose His Word. Alleluia. But I still had a very long way to go.

I've read many books over the years. Most at the leading of the Holy Spirit. In the last few years, that has deminished dramatically. The bible is sufficient, although I do still read other books.

About 20 years ago, my wife and I were about to go out with a "soul patrol" and witness on Bourbon St. in New Orleans. We gathered in a circle to pray. Of all things, I felt this inner urging to open my bible. My eyes fell on Isaiah 58. While others prayed, I read this chapter. When they were finished, I was overflowing again in my soul. What I read was so in line with what we were about to do. So I asked to read it to the group. When I was finished, they all looked at me with a puzzled look like I was a kook. I couldn't understand why they didn't "get it".

Later own I discovered that Matthew 25:31-46 was in perfect harmony with Isaiah 58. Alleluia. But the message is no more welcomed today, than it was back then.

Not too long ago, I read "No Compromise". I would read, and weep, read and weep. Here was this crazy young man that was so misunderstood, so very often rejected by mainstream christianity, yet led by and full of the Holy Spirit. He lived Isaiah 58 and Matthew 25:31-46 like no other I have read. Then I remembered reading "The Cross and the Switchblade", and realized that our Dearly Beloved Apostle David Wilkerson lived these passages as well.

Since my first expereince with God on that Saturday night long ago, He has been gracious and loving and merciful enough to keep speaking in my heart. I've had many such experiences over and over again since then. But they all feed off of that first moment of faith. That was my "burning bush" experience if you will. I have never since needed a book or another man to tell me God is real and personal. I have Him in my heart and He speaks to me. Glory to God.

But like all of you and so many more like you, I thank God for all of these other men who have shared what God has spoken to them and they have written it down and left it as a blessing for us all. I join all of you in thanksgiving for each and every one of them, and this wonderful website that has blessed with such a collective fountain of His mercy and grace. Alleluia.

Yours immersed in Christ Jesus,

Lahry

2005/8/28 8:17
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: And the soul rejoices...

Lahry...

I thank God for you, that you will continue to bring forth your soul, knit to the Lord and share these things with us all.

By the way, as it relates to this great question here, there are any number of these 'unknown' (but well known to Whom it matters) authors that have arrested my attention, encouraged and exhorted, challenged and lifted the faith of many right here in this forum.

Without causing too much embarrassment and the listing would be long and varied, it is in contributions such as this here, speaking forth out of experience, of diligent study, less of intellectual sport but that of the heart melded into thought... The variety and sharing, the things we can all glean from to grow in the strength and knowledge of the Lord. If anything at all it is obvious that there is more than one way of doing things. Beyond that the incredible thing is that we are blessed to be able to share in thought that lives on though the flesh has long since been dead. Through these messages, through the writings, the Holy Spirit has never grown old or dated, I find it not odd in the least that there has been a preservation of such things, just for such a time as this, when much of this noble faith appears to be on the brink of shipwreck, and might it be precisely because of a refusal to look back at our own heritage and history?

[i]What C. S. Lewis dismisses as “chronological snobbery” — a disdain for all things old — is a step away from real spiritual growth. One positive step towards growth involves embracing the many time-honored writings of thoughtfully devotional women and men throughout Christian history. In this way, tested and enduring insights nourish a healthy spiritual life in our own time.[/i]

([i]Borrowed from:[/i] http://hovelaudio.com/catalog/about.php)

2005/8/28 10:08Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Yes. So many. Why not make a list of what I can think of:

Ray Comfort - so many, started w/ Hell's Best Kept Secret
Kent Hovind - Lies in the Textbooks
Billy Sunday - Booze
Curtis Hutson - If My People
John R Rice - Paul Rejoices Over Enemies
Wilkerson - Another Gospel, The Vision, others
J Edwin Orr - all his historical facts of revival
Mordecai Ham - What Do You Offer God?
Greg Locke - quite a few (that kid is great)
Leonard Ravenhill - interviews, every message
Duncan Campbell - every one so far
Revival Hymn
Spurgeon - A Divided Heart, many quotes, everything he did was great
Paris Reidhead - Ten Shekels and a Shirt (made me cry, today)
William Booth - "I hope you're all enjoying yourself." Had the best one-liners, ever
Wesley - not so much his quotes, as much as what so many preachers I respect say of him
Finney - Stever's post "The Blood of Jesus Christ Cleanseth Us From All Sin"

2005/8/30 15:59Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Billy Sunday - Booze
I have never heard of this one
I need some more stuff to change my life
bring it on
God
I need changing!!
There has been alot of Stuff that changed my life the first one I think was spurgeons life story and richard wembrant and Corrie Tam Boom and so many others. i think I can list stuff from moment one from my life a big change was the clay tapes it changed me and I still need alot of change even thou I dont like it!!
Dom
be blessed

2005/8/30 20:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy