SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The bible is not "the Word"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

The bible is not "the Word"

Why is the bible called, the "Word of God" or "God's Word"? Where in the bible does it say that scripture is the word of God?

John 1: 1 - 14 (KJV)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended F1 it not. 6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power F2 to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The scriptures above, John 1:1-14, make it very clear that the Word is referencing Jesus. God's Word is Jesus. And so, why do people call and reference the bible as "God's Word" when that is clearly not what the bible says?

2005/8/22 15:45Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: The bible is not "the Word"

Quote:
Where in the bible does it say that scripture is the word of God?

[i]God, who at many times and in many ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, by whom also He made the worlds,[/i] (Heb 1:1-2)

God "spoke" in time past by the prophets, therefore those writings could accurately be said to be "God's word".

Of course, we are also incredibly blessed and privledged to have the complete revelation in the "Living Word", Jesus Christ.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/8/22 16:17Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

I don't dispute that Christ is the Word of God, however...
“If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;” (John 10:35, KJVS) This clearly equates the scripture with the 'word of God'.

God has revealed Himself in...

[u]creation:[/u] “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.” (Psa. 19:1-2, KJVS) but this revelation was always incomplete and is now severly damaged.

[u]the scriptures:[/u] see the verse above. This revelation is perfect but incomplete.

[u]Christ Himself:[/u] the verses you quoted and many another. This revelation is perfect and complete. He is God's last word.

2005/8/22 16:17Profile

Quote:
The scriptures above, John 1:1-14, make it very clear that the Word is referencing Jesus. God's Word is Jesus. And so, why do people call and reference the bible as "God's Word" when that is clearly not what the bible says?

Really? Are you sure?

[i]Luk 3:2b ...the [b]word of God[/b] came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.[/i]

[i]Luk 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every [b]word of God[/b].[/i]

[i]Luk 5:1 And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the [b]word of God[/b], he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,[/i]

[i]Luk 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the [b]word of God[/b].[/i]

[i]Luk 11:28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the [b]word of God[/b], and keep it.[/i]

[i]Act 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they [b]spake the word of God with boldness[/b].[/i]

[i]Act 6:2 Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the [b]word of God[/b], and serve tables.[/i]

[i]Act 13:5 And when they were at Salamis, they preached the [b]word of God[/b] in the synagogues of the Jews: and they had also John to their minister.[/i]

[i]Act 13:44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.[/i]

[i]Rom. 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.[/i]

[i]2Co 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the [b]word of God[/b]: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.[/i]

[i]2Co 4:2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the [b]word of God[/b] deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.[/i]

[i]1Th 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the [b]word of God[/b] which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the [b]word of God[/b], which effectually worketh also in you that believe.[/i]

[i]2Ti 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the [b]word of truth[/b]. [/i]

[u][i][b][size=small]Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. [/size][/b][/i][/u]

Shall I continue, Blake? I'm not sure what your point or intent is with this thread... but I must say that your exegesis is a tad bit scarey. Not trying to put you down, just saying I think you need to study things a little more closely before you make declarations like that.

Krispy

2005/8/22 16:33
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

In none of the scriptures you listed does it claim scripture, law, or the bible is the "word of God."

Luk 3:2b ...the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.

The Holy Spirit came unto John. He didn't find a bible in the wilderness.

Luk 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Jesus is speaking of the Holy Spirit. Jesus gives life through the Spirit. Man cannot live by bread which satisfies the flesh. Man must also seek after the Spirit and live by the Spirit.

Luk 5:1 And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,

Again, this is the Holy Spirit speaking. He wasn't reading a bible.

Luk 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Again, this is speaking of the Holy Spirit.

Luk 11:28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

Again, this is speaking of the Holy Spirit.

Act 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

Again, this is speaking of the Holy Spirit. It even says, "they were filled with the Holy Ghost and spake the word of God."

Act 6:2 Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.

This is speaking of Jesus. They were basically saying in this verse, "We should not stop preaching the word of God and serve people food at their tables."

Act 13:5 And when they were at Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews: and they had also John to their minister.

Preaching of the Holy Spirit.

Act 13:44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Preaching of the Holy Spirit.

Rom. 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Holy Spirit.

2Co 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Holy Spirit.

2Co 4:2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

Holy Spirit.

1Th 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

Holy Spirit.

2Ti 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Holy Spirit. (Jesus is truth. There is no truth other than Jesus.)

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

This is most certainly the Holy Spirit...."a discerner of thought and intent of the heart." How can a bible do that?

"Not trying to put you down, just saying I think you need to study things a little more closely before you make declarations like that."

I appreciate the encouragement. I have studied and prayed about this.

Blake

2005/8/22 17:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I call the bible the "SCRIPTURES" if you do a word search on this then you will see that the Bible calls instead Scriptures.

I know one translation that says: "Holy Scriptures"

2005/8/22 17:09Profile
Joshua99

Austin Tx.

Quote:
Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart

I believe Krispy has it as clear as it can be said. Why are you having a conflict with the Word of God?

2005/8/22 17:14Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re:

philologos

Quote:
the scriptures: see the verse above. This revelation is perfect but [b]incomplete.[/b]

from the previous posts by you that I've read i would be very interested if you could expand on this, not having a go, just willing to learn.

God bless

matt

2005/8/22 17:21Profile
Kadmiel

Florida, U.S.A.

Re: The bible is not the " Word "

Krispy

Wow, excellent response! Talk about a fervent student of "God's Word"! It don't get more simple then what you wrote. Awesome!

:-?

2005/8/22 20:20Profile
Kadmiel

Florida, U.S.A.

Re:

Blake

Quote:
I appreciate the encouragement. I have studied and prayed about this.

Pray more till you get it right. :-)

2005/8/22 20:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy