SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : THE SABBATH COMMANDMENT - My Personal Testimony

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

I was talking to my father about this thread. He raised a really good point.

[b]The Sabbath is to be enjoyed, not kept.[/b]

It's not so much a law or a rule, but a gift from God. A day when we can rest and enjoy Him and one another.
The Holy Spirit in me bears witness with this. I know that God is pleased when we rest on the Sabbath.

In Christ,
-Eli

2005/7/21 13:23Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

The Sabbath is to be enjoyed, not kept.

It's not so much a law or a rule, but a gift from God. A day when we can rest and enjoy Him and one another.

The same goes for any of the Jewish holy days, or likewise, any commandment under the Old Covenant, it was to be done out of the overflow of the heart. No day or commandment was simply to be one of "duty." One commentator noted how the commandment to love God with all one's heart was a very unique idea. No matter how devot one might have been to an idol or god, the idea of loving it surely sounded absurd to pagan ears. Such was a rather unique feature of the faith of our fathers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

2005/7/21 13:47Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

I don't believe that every rule in the Old Covenant was to be enjoyed, KJ... that's obvious.

Example: "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors donkey." What's so enjoyable about that? That is a moral rule laid down by God. There is a big difference between that and a day of rest.

What do you think?
-Eli

2005/7/21 13:54Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I don't believe that every rule in the Old Covenant was to be enjoyed, KJ... that's obvious.

If it was not, then David who wrote the longest psalm in the Bible (119) was a total nut. He delighted in all the commandments of God, and wrote a hymn with every letter of the Hebrew alphabet to celebrate God's law.

Psalm 119:16 I will delight in your statues; I will not forget your commandments.

Psalm 119:77 May Your compassion come to me that I may live, for Your law is my delight

Deut 30:14 But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it.

Deut 32:46 he said to them, "Take to your heart all the words with which I am warning you today, which you shall command your sons to observe carefully, even all the words of this law

How can one take to heart the law of God (to make the law one's passion), and not delight in it?

2005/7/21 14:23Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
How can one take to heart the law of God (to make the law one's passion), and not delight in it?

For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: and I behold another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of the sin that 'is' in my members. (Romans 7:22 (KJV) 23 (YLT))

Thanks for bringing this up. It goes along with all the studies on 'the soul' and 'the flesh'. Here we have not the "old man" or "new man" but 'inward man.' Though 'old' and 'new' are corporate- inward seems to be personal.

He said that there is a 'law in his members' that was warring against his mind and bringing him into captivity to the law of Sin. This 'another' law seems to be distinct from 'the law of Sin.' So we see here (it seems) that there is some type of law or protocol in place that is trying to fulfill the delight of the non-outward man. The delight of the one is "the law of God" and the delight of the other is "the law of sin."

Any thoughts?

2005/7/21 14:40Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

You're right, KingJimmy, about delighting in God's Law, my mistake.

I'll stick to my post right before it. That the difference between the Sabbath (which is only the name given it) and the other laws, is that the day of rest did not originate with the Mosaic Law. God rested on after 6 days of working, and so he has granted that we do likewise. That, to me, is a gift, and I personally LOVE the day of rest and look forward to it all week! A day I can spend enjoying God and not concern myself with the work of my hands.

Do remember... the ground is cursed, and man must work for his food. The day of rest is a blessing.

In Christ,
-Eli

2005/7/21 14:57Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Indeed Robert, the law of sin (the principle of sin) within our flesh does not like the holy law of God that the inward man rejoices over. For if one is set on keeping the commandments of God, then one is going to have to crucify the flesh. Crucifying the flesh is always a painful thing.

2005/7/21 15:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

That the difference between the Sabbath (which is only the name given it) and the other laws, is that the day of rest did not originate with the Mosaic Law.

The command to observe the Sabbath did not come until the Mosaic law. There is in no way, shape, or form of any hint of man observing the Sabbath prior to Siani. One can quote the creation account all they want about how God sanctified the Sabbath day, but, that is not evidence of it being ordained for men to observe before Moses.

And even if God did command man to observe the Sabbath prior to Moses, He also commanded Abraham and his children (which all believers are by faith), to observe circumcision. Yet it is more than clear that under the New Covenant, we are not in any way obligated to observe even that. If we were, I might agree with you that we are obligated to observe the Sabbath. But we aren't, as Col 2:16 and other such verses makes abundantly clear.

2005/7/21 15:21Profile

Re: King Jimmy

I believe you love the Lord, brother. I really do. I know you are just as hungry as the next guy for truth and will yield too it. I wish I could tell you that I understand all, but fact is there is not one that does. We all see through a glass darkly.

Quote:
I'm not interpreting Scripture to suit my fancy. I used to truly believe we as Christians were required to keep the Sabbath. However, Christ has since opened my eyes to what the Scriptures say requiring it, and now I understand I'm under no obligation to keep such, nor is to any act as my judge regarding it!

If you are not under one commandment, you are not under any commandment, much the same as breaking one is to break them all. Fair? As I understand such a position, you are saying that the disciple does not have any commandments to model after and that as Jesus' disciple, you are free by grace to live as you choose and re-present His kingdom as you please. I know in your heart that is not what you are trying to communicate, but that is what is being received by me.

Beloved, I'm not trying to burden any man's back. I myself struggle with all of these things. Countless times I have wrestled with this subject and so many more like them that favor a lifestyle patterned after Jesus Himself.
I am again at a crossroads of completely "restructuring" my whole life so that I am able to live more in line with what I believe the scripture says. I also state again, that if we err, let us joyfully err on the conservative side, rather than the liberal side. Is that not wisdom, dear brother?
I want you to know that I love you, pray for you, and enjoy your presence and offerings you share so abundantly with us. I hope I have not in any way discouraged you. I too want to follow God, even if I have to do so alone. There is so much seduction in the church today, so much leaven. There needs to be a restructuring as in Calvin's day of all that we say and do. We need to turn back the clock and get back to biblical church. Resting on the Sabbath and enjoying the fellowship of God on that day is just one of the things that needs to be done if we are going to live like we speak or write. That's my heart. I appreciate yours. God bless you real good as you seek Him first and above all else.

Immersed in Christ Jesus,

Lahry

2005/7/21 20:29
arbustum

Sydney Australia

Re:

i work 6 days, then go to church sunday morning and night, but thats a matter of convenience, i could go to church on saturday night, either way, noone's told me yet anything other than, we dont work on sundays, and if we do its double time on the payslip! and you get that in all sorts of stores, simply because its convenient for the public. but that comes back to obeying God over the authority in your life, and where some just cant understand that one, you might actually stand to loose your job... but then, i havent heard a message on the sabbath yet in our church...

2005/7/21 20:51Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy