SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Torment...not Pain

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
enid

Nottingham, England

Torment...not Pain

Luke 16:23, And being in torments in Hades...
verse 24, Then he cried...for I am tormented in this flame.

When we think of hell, what do we really think?

Do we see it as a few flames burning the unrepentant? Or do we see it as hot as, say, a volcano, with the flesh of the unrepentant being consumed. The flesh falling from them.

I know it is not nice to consider. But it is harsh reality.

To reach the lost, and we must, is not easy. But God said with Him all things are possible.

There is no need to reply. It is just there to make us think.

2019/10/10 5:06Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Torment...not Pain

If there really is a great chasm fixed between heaven and hell, how could Lazarus hear the rich man?

How can those in heaven enjoy their time there if they incessantly hear the pleas and cries of those in torment?

No need to reply- just there to make us think.

2019/10/10 11:27Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Is that all you got?

2019/10/10 14:36Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

"But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him." Luke 12:5

Get that... after He has killed you, then you go to hell. I don't think soul sleep or annihilation is scary to anyone.

2019/10/10 16:52Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

My only point is that the story is not literal and has points that cannot be taken literally. It is no more literal that the prodigal son parable.

2019/10/10 17:35Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

I think it could very well be literal.

2019/10/11 0:47Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: Torment...not Pain

Hi Enid,

Definitely. The Good News of Christ our Saviour must be preached to all nations.

But,

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

WHO was that rich man? Was he a heathen?

Blessings

2019/10/11 2:22Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi Nigel,

LUKE 11:37 - 12:12

WHO was Jesus talking to?

WHO was He talking about?

WHAT was He against?

Seems to me, when I read scripture, that Jesus came to save sinners and it is the self-righteous who will go to "hell".
Then, what really is "hell" and "fire"?? Is what that is commonly taught correctly taught? And of course those who condemn others to "hell" are sure they themselves will not go there. But it is not man himself but Jesus who is the Judge and "there is nothing covered up that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known".

Blessings

2019/10/11 2:50Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Hi Jade. It seems clear to me, from these passages of scripture and many others, that hell is a place of eternal separation from God, a place of fire and brimstone, of eternal torment, the people there knowing that they rejected every offer of mercy and forgiveness and did abominable sins against God their whole lives.

It takes deliberate ignorance and twisting of very obvious scriptures to deny the stark, terrifying reality of hell. (And saying that I am not insulting anyone who holds a different viewpoint.)

I know I will not go there because 1. I trust God's promises to me and, 2. I know Jesus and have the witness of the Holy Spirit that I am a child of God.

I think everyone here (including me) should pray for a fresh vision of how exceedingly sinful sin really is, how offensive and hurtful it is to a holy God. People deserve much worse than hell for what they have done.

2019/10/11 13:42Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

99% burning in torment for all eternity
1% escape

That doesn’t sound much like a head-crushing to me.

With those numbers there appears to be a clear winner for the ages but no one wants to admit who it is.

It amazes me how few people stop to really consider what their views say (slander) about God.

Let’s think about this succinctly: God knew man would sin before he was created; he knew in advance that everyone would sin but He created them anyway; he knew that a huge majority would never have a realistic chance of responding to the gospel, and that an exceedingly small percentage of those who do hear would respond favorably, yet He created a special place of never ending torture for the vast majority of his creation that He knew in advance would have to go there because of the system HE created.

That, my friends, is insanity, and, if true, means God is decidedly not good.

So perhaps we need to think more carefully about what we have always accepted as true.

2019/10/11 15:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy