SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : INERRANCY

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Nah- it was a copyist error. It’s no big deal. I couldn’t care less how old he was but 22 makes more sense.

This contradiction only appears in the KJV and NKJV so that makes it even more likely it was a copyist error in source documents used for the KJV.

2019/6/28 20:04Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

No it was not a copyist error.

2019/6/28 21:02Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Then why don’t other versions have different numbers?

2019/6/28 21:37Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Todd, I'm not a Bible translation expert. Obviously some versions are superior to others; some have errors and some don't.

What do you make of this?

How many chariot horses did Solomon have, 40,000 (I Kings 4:26) or 4,000 (II Chron. 9:25)?I Kings 4:26 "And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen."II Chron. 9:25 "And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen;"

2019/6/28 21:53Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Copyist error- as I said before there are several in the historical books particularly regarding numbers like these.

I know that some would come up with convoluted explanations that create more problems than they solve.(eg- in Kings they were actually counting horse legs not horses). I really don’t see the issue with a copyist error here and there. It doesn’t really matter how many horses and stalls Solomon had, but doesn’t 4000 horses and chariots seem more probable than 40,000? 40,000 horses would consume 600,000 pounds (300 tons) of food per day. If chariots were 6 ft wide, 40,000 lined up side by side would stretch over 45 miles. Whoa!

2019/6/29 7:27Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

It's interesting how you jumped to that conclusion without looking for an explanation other than "It was a copyist error".

Here is the actual explanation:

"Read the verses carefully and you will see that there is no contradiction. They had chariot teams with ten horses and ten men per chariot in case you got a flat tire! If he had "four thousand stalls for horses and chariots" he would need forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots." (Borrowed from Kent Hovind)

2019/6/29 17:02Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Yeah but the explanation is ridiculous.

2019/6/29 17:53Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

To you maybe.

2019/6/29 19:21Profile
docs

Re:

The explanation seems plausible to me.

I've been hashing and looking around on this subject and man have I uncovered view and thoughts on the subject of inerrancy I really didn't know existed. I perhaps thought they existed outside of the church but not within the church. But because they exist should I automatically dismiss them? I've tried to take a look at some of them and it's pretty amazing but is that because they go against what I have been taught about the infallibility and inerrancy of scripture? Some of these views by very famous theologian s grind against my insides but it is good to have to take a a look again at one's basic beliefs and determine again if they are right or at least trying to be right.

1) What is inerrancy of the scriptures? Why is it or why should it be important to a Christian? What result good or bad can it have in their walk?

2) What is one's doctrine of inspiration? What does all scripture is given by "inspiration" of God mean? (II Timothy 3:16)

3)Where does one go for the answer?

4) If inerrancy and infallibility of the scriptures is true can its neglect have negative effects on the church at large? I'm personally still stumped a bit at the emergence of what appears to be a truly apostate church in the world. Does its emergence have anything to do with its view of scripture and its inspiration?

To shortly summarize what I have determined is that those who are against inerrancy believe to a degree that the Bible was "inspired" and written under this inspiration but still all men all prone to err and this they did in ways as they were used by God to write. So look for a inspired set of writings in scripture but don't look for INERRANCY and INFALLIBILITY. It just ain't so they say. So one's view of inspiration may influence how one really sees the scriptures. God inspired they say the writing but men prone to err did so in places as they wrote.

Also, one famous theologian that is a household name believed the the Bible contained the "word of God" and not the actual "words of God." Scriptures bear witness to revelation but don't really become the words of God until the Holy Spirit moves and enlightens us and brings us to salvation as seen in the word. Then it is in actuality the word of God.

Bottom line: How can a infallible God inspire men to produce somethings containing errors? The original manuscripts etc. are of course no longer with us but did the original "autographs" down to the jot and tittle contain any error of any kind since they were inspired by a God who is TRUTH and perfect cannot make mistakes? Can our view of this one way or the other effect our walk today?

2019/6/29 20:18Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

I remain unconvinced that there are errors of any kind in the Bible.

2019/6/30 1:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy