SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I am so sick of the spirit of negativity on this forum!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Krispy

Quote:

Neilgin1 wrote:

Positively Dangerous
Joel Osteen may mean well, but when he preaches the power-ofpositive-
thinking at the Charlotte Coliseum in March, tens of thousands
could be led astray

Are better yet they could be lead to the Lord, can't live life on could be's because Gods ways are not our ways you never know what he is up to, are then again "some" might. :-(

2005/7/12 17:42Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: I am so sick of the spirit of negativity on this forum!

Neil, I have a question for you: how do you respond to the writings of the prophets of the Bible, OT and NT? (including the writings of the disciples).

Just wondering...
ginnyrose

2005/7/12 18:03Profile
todd

California

Re:

Quote:
"...can't live life on could be's because Gods ways are not our ways you never know what he is up to..."

Well said.

I don't find it shocking that God uses different men in different ways and gives them different emphasis in their message at different times and seasons. As far as I can tell, we don't have lots of examples of New Testament preachers and their messages in the Bible.

Paul was an apostle, and he had a message that God had given him to share in his own way. And even then, Paul's preaching wasn't always the same all the time. For example, he preached using lots of good argument and reason at Mars Hill (see Acts 17:22-34) but then when he went on to Corinth, he ended up preaching very differently, seeminly only emphasizing the simple message of Christ, and Him crucified, and demonstrating the power of God (see 1 Cor. 2:1-5).

But really, how many examples do we get to see of New Testament preachers? Who knows if Andrew, Nathaniel, or other of the disciples emphasized certain aspects of the truth for certain seasons? Maybe some of their ministry emphasis over their life would be predominantly characterized by the importance of positive thinking. And even if this wasn't the case, even if they were all the same, that wouldn't rule out the possibility of God raising up someone totally different with a totally different or even new emphasis.

Many people are looking for one certain type of cookie-cutter model of what a "true man of God" will be like. They might think, "A prophet will look thin but strong, have a good manly beard, wear old dirty clothes, maybe smell a little, and preach on the street corner in a 'fire and brimstone' style." But then when God raises up a prophet who doesn't fit their ideas of how a prophet would be, they might easily get offended at the package and reject him. What if God chooses an overweight, rich, gentle man to be a prophet, [i]just[/i] to reveal mens hearts? He has a reputation of breaking molds, especially those of tradition and religion.

I can just imagine someone back in David's time:

"David! You can't tell people that [i]one[/i] thing you have asked from God and seek, to be in the house of the Lord all the days of your life to behold God's beauty and meditate in His temple! There's things to be done! People that hear that might become lazy and be led astray!" (See Psalms 27:4)

Or maybe in Jesus' time somone (probably Peter ;-)) might say:

"Jesus, you can't correct Martha for being busy and doing all this work for You. And then on top of that, you tell her that only a few things are necessary, [i]really[/i] only one! And that Mary chose the good part by just sitting at Your feet, doing [i]nothing[/i]! Far be it from You Lord! If the people get hold of this, they'll get lazy. There's work to be done for the Kingdom out there!" (See Luke 10:38-42)

As was said, His ways are not our ways. He is God and we are not and we would be wise not to limit Him to our own ways of thinking.

2005/7/12 18:34Profile

Re: ginnyrose

Quote:
Neil, I have a question for you: how do you respond to the writings of the prophets of the Bible, OT and NT? (including the writings of the disciples).

Thank You Jesus for your Word.

I don't mean to sound flip, but thats how I respond to the Bible.

Are you digging for something deeper from me?

2005/7/12 20:09
roadsign

Re: Is it time to change the title?

I'm really sticking my big foot in now. But I was just wondering if the discussion could be continued in a new thread just so the title, which suggests negativity doesn't keep popping up. There are some great thoughts being expressed which do not reflect the mood of the title, and I doubt that any of us would like newcomers to think right off that this is primarily a negative forum, cause it's not! (usually)
I hope I'm not too out of place here. I really appreciate all the words here in this thread, and to me, the positive spirit is much stronger than any negitive spirit.
Diane

2005/7/12 20:28Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I vote to re-name it "No one is perfect"

Jesus didn't come to save self-made perfect people. He came to save sinners perfected through His own sacrifice! ;-)

2005/7/12 20:53Profile

Re: no-one is perfect

Hey MrBillPro,

I hope you were joking... 'cos if not, I'd like to draw your attention to God's take on your statement, (which I've titled this response).

Hebrews 10:14
For by one offering [b]he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified[/b].

That's us. ('Perfected', means completed. (Col 2:10))

We [i]all[/i] depend on God taking this view of us [i]all the time[/i]. This is not just for when we are 'walking in the Spirit'. Even when we FAIL, He sees us in Christ. THAT'S the gospel.

Looking back, I am never so glad as to remember an elder who used to mention failure in his prayers. It [i]taught[/i] me that God is [i]always[/i] approachable, no matter [i]how[/i] I've failed. It is this truth and being able to get back into the Light quickly, (1 John 1:7) where the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin, that [i]makes[/i] us perfect, in [i]our[/i] conscious relationship with Him.

This is the gospel in action, for the Christian. And this is the side of it that I want to dwell on, not the other. In fact, it is in His presence, I want to take a closer look at my failures, and be changed in His presence by how He speaks to me, how He works on me and heals me.

Hope I didn't come on too strong, here, but thought it was worth mentioning...

2005/7/12 21:36

Re:

I just finished an excellent book called "Who Are You To Judge?" ... I think y'all should get your hands on it. The book is actually more to do with discernment, but I think people would get a better grasp of where I am coming from on a lot things if they read this book. It expresses my thoughts much better than I do.

Krispy

2005/7/12 21:39
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:
Hey MrBillPro,I hope you were joking... 'cos if not, I'd like to draw your attention to God's take on your statement, (which I've titled this response).

Jesus set a high standard: We must be as perfect as our Heavenly Father! (Matt. 5:48) However, God wouldn't have sent Jesus if humans could make themselves perfect through their own good works and human effort. That's what Jesus was for! For under the law we face condemnation. The wages of sin is death! Thank God we can be released from carrying the heavy burden of past sins! Thank God that if we ever stumble, amazing grace is like God's hand breaking our fall so we don't perish. As long as our eyes stay focused on God and our savior Jesus Christ, we cannot go wrong! This constant focus or faith is what makes us perfect enough to walk on water as Peter did. It is when Peter took his eyes off the savior and lost his faith that he started sinking in the water.

2005/7/12 22:22Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Neil, you just mentioned how you are sick of the negativity on this BB. So now I wonder which parts of the scriptures you read?

Actually, I am sick and tired of apostasy around me. So, how do I cope with it without being called a spoilsport and yet desiring to be faithful to my LORD and Master, Jesus Christ? I do appreciate it when people warn me of false teachers.

BTW, have you ever been mislead, deceived? I have. And Neil, it is awful when you realize it. I have had an awful time forgiiving myself. It ain't funny when you see how dumb you were.

Oh, you wanted something positive: here goes: Jesus is faithful! He had a of patience with me and showed me where I was wrong...taught me a lot. PTL!!!!! And you know what the greatest antidote is to deception? The study of the WORD with the Holy Spirit giving you illumination!

No, I do not want to debate you, Neil. It just appears to me you are tired and we all get that way at times. We get weary. Just do not give up the fight...someday this war will come to an end and then in eternity we will think how trival this realy was.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2005/7/13 22:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy