SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Spirit, Soul, Body?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi William,

I have been rather busy.

Will give you and Ron a reply soon.

Blessings

2019/1/2 9:11Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//I do not know what tentmaker.org teaches and hope this discussion does not deteriorate into a squabble over their teaching.//

Greg does not want the matter discussed here which is why I pointed to the website.

2019/1/2 10:06Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Our Covenant-Keeping God

God moves and acts according to His covenants

Ezek. 17:24 –
I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will perform it.

God remembers His covenants.

Ps. 106:43-46 –
Many times He would deliver them;
They, however, were rebellious in their counsel,
And so sank down in their iniquity.
Nevertheless He looked upon their distress
When He heard their cry;
And He remembered His covenant for their sake,
And relented according to the greatness of His lovingkindness.
He also made them objects of compassion
In the presence of all their captors.

Great is God’s faithfulness!

Rom. 3:3-4 –
What then? If some did not believe, their unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God, will it? May it never be! Rather, let God be found true, though every man be found a liar………

Ps. 36:5 –
Your lovingkindness, O LORD, extends to the heavens,
Your faithfulness reaches to the skies.

Lam. 3:22-23 –
The LORD'S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease,
For His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.

2019/1/7 1:02Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi William,

I will start a new thread "The Righteous Shall Live By Faith".

(soon)

Blessings

2019/1/7 1:05Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: InTheLight

Hi Ron,

Some thoughts:

(1)

You said:
“The fact that man is lost and under God's judgment does not mean that he is garbage.”

There is nothing good left in fallen man and he is fit only to be discarded, done away with.

Ps. 14:3 –
They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt;
There is no one who does good, not even one.

Isa. 64:6
For all of us have become like one who is unclean,
And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment;
And all of us wither like a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

Rom. 8:7-8(KJV) –
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Job 14:4 –
Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one.

1 Cor. 15:50 –
Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

There is only one place for fallen man to be:

Gal. 2:20 –
I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live………

There is only one remedy:

“Behold, I make all things new” – Rev. 21:5, KJV.

“You must be born again” – John 3:7.

Ezekiel 36:25-27 –
Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.

Gal. 2:20 –
………it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me………

This is the only way to go:

Phil. 3:8 –
………I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,

(2)

You said:
“The Bible states that there is something great about mankind in that he is personal and can know God personally.”

Jesus is the only Way, the only Truth and the only Life and no one comes to the Father but through Him (John 14:6).

But every man has turned to his own way (Isa. 53:6). His thoughts are no longer God’s thoughts and his ways are no longer God’s ways (Isa. 55:8). Heaven has been closed to him (Gen. 3:23-24). He will attempt to build many towers to reach into heaven but all will be laid to waste (Gen. 11, Rev. 18). For,

Isa. 40:6-8 –
All flesh is grass, and all its loveliness is like the flower of the field.
The grass withers, the flower fades,
When the breath of the LORD blows upon it;
Surely the people are grass.
The grass withers, the flower fades,

God is Light but Adam had fallen into utter darkness. What partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness (2 Cor. 6:14)? All that God can say to fallen man is: “I never knew you.”

Adam had eaten from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and on the day that he ate it he surely died for God does not lie. The consequence is final and sure: “You are dust and to dust you shall return” (Gen. 3:19).

But God has no pleasure in the death of the dying (Ezek. 18:32).

He has loved us with an everlasting love therefore He draws us with kindness (Jer. 31:3).

Jer. 29:11 (CSB) –
For I know the plans I have for you"--this is the LORD's declaration--"plans for your well-being, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

God moved immediately to save Adam.

Gen. 1:3 –
Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.

God gave Eve a precious “seed” by which will come salvation.

Gen. 3:15 –
And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her seed;
He shall bruise you on the head,
And you shall bruise him on the heel.

Adam had died and all his descendants were destined to die, but, through this seed all his descendants will be made alive. Eve, the mother of all Adam’s descendants, is now “mother of all the LIVING” (Gen. 3:20). Not mother of the dead.

This “seed” is the Word of God.

Luke 8:5,11 –
The sower went out to sow his seed………
………the seed is the word of God.

Christ is the Word of God, the Word of Life.

John 1:1-3 –
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

1 John 1:1 (AMP) –
[I am writing about] what existed from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the Word of Life [the One who existed even before the beginning of the world, Christ]

It is through this Word, this Seed of Christ, given to Eve that Adam’s descendants can be born again of Christ.

1 Peter 1:22 –
For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

Christ is Light. Christ is Life.

Every man who comes into the world has the “seed” of Christ’s light and life in him.

John 1:4 --
In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.

John 1:9 (KJV) –
That was the true Light, which lighteth ((((( every man ))))) that cometh into the world.

But in fallen man, life and light could not burst forth from Christ’s seed in him.

John 1:5 –
The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

The word translated “comprehend” is Strong’s 2638 meaning “to lay hold, to seize”.

Commentaries:

Ellicott’s Commentary for English Readers –
The thought here is that the darkness did not lay hold of, did not appropriate the light, so as itself to become light; the thought there is that individuals did not recognise it.

Meyer’s NT Commentary –
οὐ κατέλαβεν] apprehended it not, look not possession of it; it was not appropriated by the darkness, so that thereby the latter might have become light, but remained aloof and alien to it.

Expositor’s Greek Testament –
καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. The A. V[23] renders this “and the darkness comprehended it not”; the R. V[24] has “apprehended” and in the margin “overcame”. The Greek interpreters understood the clause to mean that the darkness did not conquer the light. Thus Theophylact says: ἡ σκοτία … ἐδίωξε τὸ φῶς, ἀλλʼ εὗρεν ἀκαταμάχητον καὶ ἀήττητον. Some modern interpreters, and especially Westcott, adopt this rendering. “The whole phrase is indeed a startling paradox. The light does not banish the darkness: the darkness does not overpower the light.” This rendering is supposed to find support in chap. John 12:35, where Christ says, “Walk while ye have the light,” ζνα μὴ σκοτία ὑμᾶς καταλὰβῃ; and καταλαμβάνειν is the word commonly used to denote day or night overtaking any one (see Wetstein). But the radical meaning is “to seize,” “to take possession of,” “to lay hold of”;

The imperishable Seed, the eternal Light, was buried in the darkness but the darkness could not expel it. It is by this seed that man retained eternity in him after the fall.

Eccl. 3:11 (NIV) –
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Col. 1:26-27 –
that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints, to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Salvation for mankind awaited the coming of the Saviour.

Gal. 4:4 –
But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman……

Matt. 1:18-24 –
Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit. And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man and not wanting to disgrace her, planned to send her away secretly. But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” Now all this took place to fulfill what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet: “BEHOLD, THE VIRGIN SHALL BE WITH CHILD AND SHALL BEAR A SON, AND THEY SHALL CALL HIS NAME IMMANUEL,” which translated means, “GOD WITH US.

Comment:
Christ was born of a virgin. Therefore, He was NOT born of Adam’s fallen and perishable seed. His conception was of the Holy Spirit and He was born of the woman’s seed, the imperishable seed, the Word of God. He became the perfect man who lived the perfect life as man, and, by His cross and resurrection, the “old man” of Adam’s perishable seed was crucified, all obstacles were cleared away and man can be born again of the imperishable seed. It is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me. And of God we are in Christ Jesus who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption (1 Cor. 1:30).

2 Cor. 5:17 (Berean Literal Translation) –
Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old things have passed away; behold, the new has come into being.

1 Peter 2:2 –
like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation,

Eph. 4:13 –
until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

Gal. 4:19 –
………until Christ be formed in you,

Heb. 1:3 –
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature……

Then man in Christ is again in the image of God. Christ lives in his heart by faith, and through Christ he has access to God the Father (Eph. 3:17, 2:18).

It is through the “seed” given to Eve after the fall and not through anything in fallen man (and not through a fallen human spirit) that union and communion with God is restored to man.

Born again of the imperishable seed in us, we now have the glory of Christ Himself living in us. This is the glorious truth of our salvation.

1 John 5:11-12 –
And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.

(3)

You said:
“As Elibeth pointed out, I believe that the Tree of Life has importance in this discussion. When Adam was created he was not complete; through a series of choices God intended that he would eat of the Tree of Life. Though man is now fallen God still intends this same thing for us.”

As I see it:

The Tree of Life represents man having the life of Christ (which is the life of God) in him through the agency of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit gives life (2 Cor. 3:6). The mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace (Rom. 8:6).

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil represents man living the “self” life through the agency of the “flesh”. The mind governed by the flesh is death (Rom. 8:6).

Do you notice that God did not command man to eat from the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden?
Why?
I would say it is because he was already eating from the Tree of Life!

Adam forsook the Tree of Life to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. The result was that he lost the eternal life of God in him and his life descended to the level of the perishable life of the beasts.

Ps. 49:12 –
But man in his pomp will not endure;
He is like the beasts that perish.

Eccl. 3:18-20 –
I said to myself concerning the sons of men, "God has surely tested them in order for them to see that they are but beasts."
For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity.
All go to the same place. All came from the dust and all return to the dust.

Gen. 3:21 –
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and clothed them.

Comment:
Sons of God are clothed with Christ (Gal. 3:26-27).
But, after the fall, God clothed Adam and Eve with animal skins.
Why?
Is it not because they have become like the beasts that perish?

Gen. 3:22 –
Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever "—

Comment:
It is NOT God’s Truth that fallen man is “like God”. This is Satan’s lie that fallen man now believes to be truth.
Is it possible for fallen man eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil to also have the Tree of Life?
Of course not!
But foolish fallen man thinks he can.
Just like Christians asking God for the Holy Spirit to enable them to live the Christian life in the flesh.

Gal. 3:1,3 –
You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?
Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

Gen. 3:24 –
So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.

Comment:
In my view, the cherubim and the flaming sword were stationed there to guard, that is, to preserve, the way to the Tree of Life so that it will not be lost to man for it is God’s will for all men to be saved. The sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings (Mal. 4:2) and heaven will again be opened to man through the Lord Jesus Christ (John 1:51).

(4)

A Concluding Thought:

Who did Christ come to save?

Luke 4:14-19 –
And Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about Him spread through all the surrounding district. And He began teaching in their synagogues and was praised by all.
And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read. And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written,
“THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,
BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR.
HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES,
AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND,
TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED,
TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD.”
And He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on Him. And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.”

Comment:
Those who are elected for salvation are the poor, the captives, the blind and the oppressed. This surely includes EVERY fallen man.

God is mighty to save!

Isa. 40:3-5 –
A voice is calling,
"Clear the way for the LORD in the wilderness;
Make smooth in the desert a highway for our God.
Let every valley be lifted up,
And every mountain and hill be made low;
And let the rough ground become a plain,
And the rugged terrain a broad valley;
Then the glory of the LORD will be revealed,
And all flesh will see it together;
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

Isa. 2:12 –
For the LORD of hosts will have a day of reckoning
Against everyone who is proud and lofty
And against everyone who is lifted up,
That he may be abased.

1 Sam. 2:8 –
He raises the poor from the dust,
He lifts the needy from the ash heap
To make them sit with nobles,
And inherit a seat of honor;
For the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S,
And He set the world on them.

Isa. 42:16 –
I will lead the blind by a way they do not know,
In paths they do not know I will guide them.
I will make darkness into light before them
And rugged places into plains.
These are the things I will do,
And I will not leave them undone.

Ps. 102:19-20 –
For He looked down from His holy height;
From heaven the LORD gazed upon the earth,
To hear the groaning of the prisoner,
To set free those who were doomed to death,

Question:
Who are those elected for salvation?
All those doomed to death.
Who are doomed to death?
ALL men (Rom. 5:12)!

1 Cor. 15:22 (KJV) –
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Praise the Lord!

2019/1/7 1:07Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Hi Jade,

Your efforts are appreciated.
I am worried that you are making scripture say what you would sincerely like it to say...and that is that ALL people will eventually be saved?

You quoted 1 John 5:11-12 –
And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life."

Does it not follow that some will take (receive) the Son and some will not?

"God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble"
"He crowns the humble with salvation"

Are you saying that God will eventually turn all proud hearts and make them humble so they can be saved?

Will the logical conclusion not be that the devil himself can and will also be saved? Since God does not want anyone to perish? Surely satan as a created being of a loving God must also be saved?

Just some thoughts...

2019/1/7 9:17Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi William,

You wrote:
“I am worried that you are making scripture say what you would sincerely like it to say...and that is that ALL people will eventually be saved?”

Conversely, William, are you reading scripture to accept only what you want it to say……and that is that NOT ALL people will be saved? And you will not accept scripture like “in Christ ALL are made alive” and “it is God’s will for ALL men to be saved” for what it plainly says but go around it, below it, under it, and any which way you can, to circumvent it?

You wrote:
“You quoted 1 John 5:11-12 –
And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life."
“Does it not follow that some will take (receive) the Son and some will not?”

No. It does not follow that some will take (receive) the Son and some will not. This verse simply lays down this truth: You must have the Son of God to have eternal life. It is totally possible for ALL to have the Son and none to not have the Son.

You wrote:
"’God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble’
"’He crowns the humble with salvation’
“Are you saying that God will eventually turn all proud hearts and make them humble so they can be saved?”

SCRIPTURE says: “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled……(Luke 14:11).

You wrote:
“Will the logical conclusion not be that the devil himself can and will also be saved? Since God does not want anyone to perish? Surely satan as a created being of a loving God must also be saved?”

I do not know. Scripture is silent on this. And I do not wish to speculate.

This I know:

God loves man and has a great and glorious eternal purpose for man. It is God’s will for all men to be saved and we are exhorted to pray for all men and for God’s will to be done.

1 Tim. 2:1-6 (Young’s Literal Translation) –
I exhort, then, first of all, there be made supplications, prayers, intercessions, thanksgivings, for all men:
2 for kings, and all who are in authority, that a quiet and peaceable life we may lead in all piety and gravity,
3 for this [is] right and acceptable before God our Saviour,
4 who doth will all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth;
5 for one [is] God, one also [is] mediator of God and of men, the man Christ Jesus,
6 who did give himself a ransom for all ……

Matt. 6:9-10 –
Pray, then, in this way:
'Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.

Blessings

2019/1/8 2:33Profile
StirItUp

Re:

Hi Jade,

What say you to these scriptures?

Believers Who Have Died
"13Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to
be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so
that you do not grieve like the rest, who have no
hope."

Jude 5Though you already know all this, I want to
remind you that the Lordc at one time delivered
his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those
who did not believe. 6And the angels who did not
keep their positions of authority but abandoned
their proper dwelling—these he has kept in darkness,
bound with everlasting chains for judgment
on the great Day. 7In a similar way, Sodom and
Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave
themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion.
They serve as an example of those who suffer
the punishment of eternal fire.
8In the very same way, on the strength of their
dreams these ungodly people pollute their own
bodies, reject authority and heap abuse on celestial
beings."

Revelation 20 The Judgment of the Dead
11Then I saw a great white throne and him who
was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled
from his presence, and there was no place for them.
12And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before
the throne, and books were opened. Another
book was opened, which is the book of life. The
dead were judged according to what they had done
as recorded in the books. 13The sea gave up the
dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up
the dead that were in them, and everyone was
judged according to what they had done. 14Then
death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire.
The lake of fire is the second death. 15All whose
names were not found written in the book of life
were thrown into the lake of fire."

2019/1/8 3:22Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi William,

(1)
1 Thess. 4:13 (NASB) –
But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.

In this verse Paul was telling the Thessalonian Christians not to grieve for fellow Christians who had passed away. For Christians have the hope of the resurrection. When Christ comes again, Christians who have died will rise first and then those who are still alive will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air (v. 14-18). Christians should therefore be comforted.

Non-Christians do not have this hope and comfort.

But will they be without the hope of salvation in Christ forever?

Look at 1 Cor. 15:21-28 (NASB):

21 For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead.
22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.
23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ’s at His coming,
24 then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power.
25 For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.
26 The last enemy that will be abolished is death.
27 For HE HAS PUT ALL THINGS IN SUBJECTION UNDER HIS FEET. But when He says, “All things are put in subjection,” it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him.
28 When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

Verses 22-23 – “For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own order………”.

Note that there is an “ORDER” in which ALL will be made alive in Christ.

This is the order:

(i) Christ the first fruits
(ii) Those who are Christ’s at His coming
(iii) The end, when death is abolished. As I see it, all dead in Adam have been made alive in Christ.

(2)
FIRE

God’s fire refines and purifies – Mal. 3:2-3

God’s fire destroys enemies and allows us to be in Christ --- illustrated by Israel’s history, Deut. 9:3.

See what appears after the lake of fire (Rev. 21):

New heaven

New earth

New Jerusalem – church perfected – illumined by the glory of God and the Lamb is its Lamp

Nations walking in New Jerusalem’s light (no longer nations rebelling against God – Ps. 2).

(3)
GOD’S JUDGMENT

Isa. 26:9 –
For when the earth experiences Your judgments
The inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.

Blessings

2019/1/9 2:24Profile
StirItUp

Re:

Jade,

Salvation is "In Christ" and is offered to human beings NOW, while on earth, in this age of grace
It will not automatically pass to all people at the end.
Why preach the gospel then?
Why have a set apart people?

Why would Jesus warn so many times throughout the gospels about HELL, if it were not real and a real danger existed that we can end up there, eternally?

The parable of the Rich man in Hell?

and this:

The Sheep and the Goats
31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory,
and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious
throne. 32All the nations will be gathered
before him, and he will separate the people one
from another as a shepherd separates the sheep
from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his
right and the goats on his left.
34“Then the King will say to those on his right,
‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take