SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Spirit, Soul, Body?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
TrueWitness

Re:

Thanks Jade for your input. While Adam's fall did make him more creaturely I would not say that he fell to the level of dumb animals like cattle, etc. Fallen humanity is capable of making informed, ethical, and loving decisions which is not to say that they necessarily will act in these ways while dumb animals' ability in this area is almost nil.

We know from several OT scriptures that humans have a spirit albeit a spirit that is atrophied because man relies on his reasoning and thinking mind almost exclusively.

Your last comment is puzzling. You said, "Adam would have ceased to exist forever but God moved immediately to save Adam by giving the seed of the woman." I could agree with your statement if you had said "humanity" instead of Adam in this sentence. And God did not immediately give the seed of the woman (Jesus). He came thousands of years after Adam had died.

Add: And we know that not all of humanity will be saved by the seed of the woman. Only those who trust and submit to Him.

-Daniel

2018/12/27 9:18Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

This discussion of spirit, soul, and body is needful not only for information so that we would get a better understanding of the functions of each, but also that we would learn to discern the difference of each in our walk with the Lord.

Most of us know what it means to be of the flesh, and to be controlled by our bodies, so we avoid walking after the flesh, and our desire is to please God and to do His will.

God desires for us to be led by the Spirit of God. " For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." (Romans 8:14).

So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. (Galatians 5:16).

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; (1 Corinthians 6:19).

So we know that the Holy Spirit is living inside every one of us that have been born of the Spirit, and He is dwelling on the inside of us to lead us into all of the truth.

The Word of God says that "the spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly." (Proverbs 20:27)

The Holy Spirit is working and communicating through the spirit of man.
"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17).

So it is of vital importance that we know and understand the difference between soul and spirit, so that we will be governed by the Holy Spirit through our inner man.

We also need to learn the functions of the soul (mind, will, and emotions). Our will is of extreme importance because God will never override our will, but we have been given the choice to choose God's will submitting ourselves to do His will or to do our own will.

I praise God for the writings of Brother Watchman Nee, for he has been an instrument of God for my personal spiritual growth in the Lord.

2018/12/27 12:34Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

This teaching by Derek Prince would be very helpful as we continue in this discussion of spirit, soul, and body.

Biblical View of the Origin and Nature of Man- Derek Prince

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-cpT3LrM6Y

2018/12/27 18:22Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Daniel,

(1)

“While Adam's fall did make him more creaturely I would not say that he fell to the level of dumb animals like cattle, etc.”

Please read all my posts again. I did not say that Adam fell to the level of dumb animals. I said his life fell to the level of the life of animals so that like them he is dust and returns to dust.

(2)

“And God did not immediately give the seed of the woman (Jesus).”

The Word was already spoken.

Ps. 33:9 –
For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast.

(3)

“I could agree with your statement if you had said "humanity" instead of Adam in this sentence.”

Adam was the head of his race so when I said “Adam” I was referring to Adam and all his descendants. But if you prefer, I will say “humanity” instead of “Adam”.

(4)

“And we know that not all of humanity will be saved by the seed of the woman.”

Do we really know??

Christ is the Great Intercessor. Will He who died to save ALL men not intercede for ALL men to be saved?

Ps. 2:8 –
Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance, And the very ends of the earth as Your possession.

It only requires one word from the Lord Jesus to His Father and every man will be His.

(5)

“Only those who trust and submit to Him.”

Of course.

Is the Lord unable to bring all men to repentance and to trust and submit to him?

2018/12/28 1:03Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Jade

Quote:
If Adam after the fall still bore the image of God, then if one looked at Adam one would still see a reflection of the nature, holiness, life and glory of God.

Certainly there is still a reflection, not in the pantheistic sense that creation is an extension of the essence of God; but that a God who is personal on the order of the Trinity created mankind in His image. So, being made in His image mankind is still essentially personal.

Before anything was created there was love and communication between the Godhead. Following on from that the Bible states that this personal God created man in His image, so personality is intrinsic to man's being when he was first created and also now. The fact that man is lost and under God's judgment does not mean that he is garbage. The Bible states that there is something great about mankind in that he is personal and can know God personally.

As Elibeth pointed out, I believe that the Tree of Life has importance in this discussion. When Adam was created he was not complete; through a series of choices God intended that he would eat of the Tree of Life. Though man is now fallen God still intends this same thing for us.

In Christ,

2018/12/29 11:40Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

The problem with man eating the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is that man has rebelled against God, declared his independence from God, and instead of putting his trust in God, he now makes a way for himself, and this is what is at the core of secular humanism and new age . Man has become his own god.

2018/12/29 12:37Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

In other words, we are worldly. We have an enemy of God ruling over us. Praise God for Jesus Christ our new birthed in us God of all creation and Savior of all that are now becoming Heavenly new creations in Christ. How can we all give enough thanks to the One who gave His Life for us.
That is all I want; some day to be able to say Jesus I Love you and Thank You for your life birthed in me and He can accept it as complete and true.

In Christ: Phillip

2018/12/30 2:18Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Hi Jade,

You seem to be pushing for something not found throughout God's Word, that is, that ALL will eventually submit to Christ and be saved. Where do you get this from as the plain reading of scripture indicates the opposite?

What, for example, do you do with the Parable of the Tares (Weeds) explained below by Jesus?

The Parable of the Weeds Explained
36Then he left the crowd and went into the
house. His disciples came to him and said, “Explain
to us the parable of the weeds in the field.”
37He answered, “The one who sowed the good
seed is the Son of Man. 38The field is the world,
and the good seed stands for the people of the
kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil
one, 39and the enemy who sows them is the devil.
The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters
are angels.
40“As the weeds are pulled up and burned in
the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. 41The
Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will
weed out of his kingdom everything that causes
sin and all who do evil. 42They will throw them
into the blazing furnace, where there will be
weeping and gnashing of teeth. 43Then the righteous
will shine like the sun in the kingdom of
their Father. Whoever has ears, let them hear

2018/12/31 2:41Profile

Re:by StirItUp on 2018/12/31 7:41:50

The parable of the good seed, which is called the parable of the tares by the disciples (v36), contains various parts, and corresponding to these parts are various meanings. We do not have to speculate to understand this fact, we simply need to read the parable, as well as its explanation. If we resist giving the parable a meaning of our own, and accept that this parable is the only occasion where the term ‘tares’ appears, we realise that the context of its meaning cannot be other than the Kingdom of Heaven, because this is what is stated plainly.

If we do not firstly establish the ground upon which the parable is set, it will not be possible to make reasonable and enlightened distinctions later on.

The first thing we read in this parable is that the Kingdom of Heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. It is also the same field in which are sown the tares.

The sower of the good seed is Jesus Himself (the Son of Man (v37)). The field is the world (v38), and the good seed are sons of the kingdom (v38) The tares are sons of the evil one (v38), and the enemy of the Son of Man is the devil (v39). The harvest referred to, is at the end of the age (v40). The place where this harvest takes place, is the kingdom on earth (v41), where the righteous will shine forth as the sun, in the kingdom of their Father (v43). Only then do we read “He who has ears, let him hear.” In short, the only possibility of understanding even this explanation, is as a son of the kingdom, having ears to hear. No amount of explanation rationally will make its meaning apprehensible.

To see beyond this statement of the Lord Jesus requires the reader to know the limit or boundary which is set by it. If we call the church, the kingdom, we would have changed the meaning of the church. Likewise, if we call the kingdom, the church, we would have neglected that the parable teaches that the kingdom is likened unto a field and that the field is the world. If this seems difficult to understand, then it may be because we have not comprehended the limitation of the church today or the extent and influence of the kingdom.

The church is not yet revealed. Christ is still building it by His power working through the members of His body. Moreover, it is only when two or three members of His body come together in His name, that Christ is in the midst. This is the true church, and this presentation of the members of His body becomes the only visible evidence of the Kingdom of Heaven on earth and the church itself. The sphere and scope of the kingdom include the whole world. One day the world itself will become the Kingdom of Heaven because Christ Himself will return in power.

In speaking of wheat and tares we need to adjust our understanding to accept, that while the good seed represent sons of the kingdom, in the church, (which is in the world), so the tares, being sons of the evil one, speaks of the world which is also included in the dominion and influence of the kingdom. It is only when the wheat (sons of the kingdom) bear fruit, that a distinction can be made between the wheat and the tares? In all other respects, the wheat and the tares appear the same. The Greek says, zizanion (ζιζάνιον) for tares and refers to the Bearded Darnell of the Poaceae family of grasses. It is poisonous when it becomes infected by fungi of the genus, neotyphodium. The tare, therefore, may be harmless, or it may be poisonous depending on whether it is infected during its life cycle, causing it to produce mycotoxins. The tares of the kingdom can be harmless or harmful.

2018/12/31 3:34

Re: William

Just to clarify my previous comment, William - my quote includes a very similar element to your comment to Jade.

The sower of the good seed is Jesus Himself (the Son of Man (v37)). The field is the world (v38), and the good seed are sons of the kingdom (v38) The tares are sons of the evil one (v38), and the enemy of the Son of Man is the devil (v39). The harvest referred to, is at the end of the age (v40). The place where this harvest takes place, is the kingdom on earth (v41), where the righteous will shine forth as the sun, in the kingdom of their Father (v43)

But that element is taken from Matthew 13:37-43, which is an explanation of the parable - whereas the actual parable itself is Matthew 13:24-30. Your comment ties both meanings together. I suppose that when we read the explanation in Matthew 13:24-30 we may see that the verse concerning being burned is separate to the entire parable other than in regard to the angels gathering in the harvest at the end of the age. The parable, however, is set in present tense and so has to do with the here and now. If we assign to the here and now a meaning that has it that tares must all perish then we would necessarily have to also believe that the Lord doesn't want us to try to bring them to a knowledge of the Kingdom. We must accept that this would be true because the parable says, 'The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go and gather them up?’ “But he said, ‘No..'

I believe that may address your question to Jade because clearly the parable is not about anyone perishing at all. I hope that is OK with you because unless I search for an article on SermonIndex that says the precise same thing I may well be found in disobedience.

2018/12/31 4:53

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy