SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Running away from your problems?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Running away from your problems?

Hey folks, I have a question.

Have you ever prayed for certain people / situations for a long time (months, years) with a broken heart and tears almost every time you bow your knee? There are some people and situation about which I know I should pray, because there is no other way out literally. But I've prayed about it so often and it breaks my heart even if I only think about the whole thing. And because I do not want to cry every time I pray (and perhaps don't want to realise how tough the whole situation is), I kind of don't talk about it neither with God, nor with brothers or sister in Christ...

Is that wrong? Is that running away from your problems? I did not think so much of it myself before I spoke with an unbelieving friend and told him that it is not good to run away from your problems. And he told me, "Why are you telling me this? Perhaps you are doing the same yourself." And then I thought of this 'hurting place'.

So, is that wrong? What would you do in my place?

Yours in Christ,
E.

P.S. Edit to add / correction.

2018/12/2 8:08Profile

Re: Running away from your problems?

Dear E.,

It's not wrong to cease praying for a specific situation when the Spirit is not leading you to pray.

Based on your email, I sense I have been in similar situations, and am even now learning to embrace the pain, while keeping an open heart and spirit to all the people involved. Because God is surely at work amidst the chaos, and we will do well to remain broken, contrite, tenderhearted and long suffering in the pain and mess (mercy!).

2018/12/3 9:01
TMK

NC, USA

E-

I was wondering if when you do pray you are praying boldly or with a “sorry to bother you again, Lord” sort of attitude?

I ask because sometimes I catch myself falling into the latter mindset when I have prayed for something for a long time.

I was listening to an audiobook yesterday and this line stuck in my head:

“And most crucial of all, do not approach God whining or begging, but boldly—as a child of the King.”

2018/12/3 10:36Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

Quote:
I was wondering if when you do pray you are praying boldly or with a “sorry to bother you again, Lord” sort of attitude?

Uhm,... I think the Lord could handle my weeping, even if it was daily. But I think it exhaust me both spiritually and emotionally to such a degree that I just do not want even to go the place where I should weep again.

And the other thing I've thought about is: if I were to weep again daily about that, I could not worhsip God, I would not thank Him and enjoy His presence but would just be so overwhelmed by the thoughts of the particular chaos among people so dear to me. I guess that's why I just skip the whole issue, though I know prayers are indeed needed.

2018/12/3 13:40Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Can’t you take a different tack? How about getting angry? Not at God, but at the situation?

2018/12/3 14:07Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

...praying with faith, truly committing the situation or person to God, trusting that His good will be done?
...next time you think about it, praising God for having heard your prayers and thanking Him for answering in His own mysterious way?

2018/12/3 14:40Profile
crusader

Australia:

Hi TakeUpthecross

I have just came out of a massive trial which no one seemed to have the awnser and even Christians added to the pain because of their fleshly scripture responses. I prayed and I prayed for a person to be free of things in their life and had no effect.

I was so interested in my own will that i hadnt sort the Lords will in the matter. God had different plans it was my faith, my knowledge and relationship with Jesus that he wanted to deal with. As the trial went on and i gave my self more to God and died every day in the flesh, the more God sanctified me and taught me.

A good book on prayer that really helped me and I started to see supernatural results to prayer is a book by Watchman Nee called "Let us pray" our prayer group has changed due to the principles and understandings in this little book.

It talks about Burden of prayer and how God puts a burden on our heart to pray for something and the way in which we should pray that burden out of us. Its a very powerful principle that Gives God all the Glory.

God bless Karl

2018/12/6 5:35Profile
dohzman

Re:

Rom 8:28 I think of prayer as an act of worship even when I don’t know how to pray. It acknowledges that you/I believe God is the only answer which brings honor to Him in the presence of the whole of Heaven. It sounds as if you heart is engaged in it even if you don’t know what to say, I can’t see that as being anything but a sweet incense in The presence of our loving Father. Don’t grow weary press on you answer maybe just one more prayer away.

2018/12/7 19:11Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Interesting question, one I suspect many have to deal with and at some level become frustrated because it seems as though God is doing nothing.

Then I am reminded of 1 John 5:16-17: "If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death. (1 Jno. 5:16,17). This concept seems to echo the one in Jeremiah "Therefore, do not pray for this people, nor lift up a cry or prayer for them, nor make intercession to Me; for I will not hear you," (Jer. 7:16) and in other places as well.

Now, how does this relate to me in my/our situation? My primary concern is that I would not personally hinder God's work in the life of this individual and this is my prayer when I do pray about it. This allows me to leave the situation in God's hand, that I cannot remedy it but only He can - I cannot fix it.

What makes the situation doubly difficult is when the situation is caused by a very religious person who is narcissistic to the core. The professionals say these people cannot be helped but for some reason I think God can change one although I have never seen it. For me, I have to stay close to the WORD, allowing it to transform me and back off from working to fix the situation. Some will believe you but are powerless to act and others will not believe you so you soon learn that any change must originate from the throne of Grace and we cannot facilitate it.

E., you are not alone. God bless.

Sandra

2018/12/8 14:44Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Interesting question, Todd.

Let me ask you one: can anger at sin be helpful at any level?

Sandra

2018/12/8 14:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy