SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : What John 3:16 Really Says

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
jochbaptist

Re:

Thank you ADisciple for your clear & crisp summary of what I tried to put in my own words after listenig to a in-depth commentary on John 3:16 by David Pawson.

Here is an extract from the introduction page. -
David Pawson has recently been questioning whether we have been scriptural or sentimental in focussing evangelistic preaching on the love of God and, more recently, His ‘unconditional‘ love. He has drawn attention to some surprising biblical data:- that Jews in the Old Testament and Christians in the New only talked about God’s love among themselves; that neither Jesus nor the apostles ever preached it publicly; and that the book of Acts contains not a single reference to it in common with most other books in the Bible.

Blessings

2018/10/28 6:24Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
Elibeth......Bro Bill pro,...

Do you really realize what a remarkable word you have spoken? !!
I appreciate that word.
Thank you,
—————-♥️
elizabeth

Thank you Elizabeth, I read that quote not to long ago, like you, it made so much sense. Another one I have also read recently is "The Word Is To Be Shared, Not Shoved". We live in a world today, where everyone wants to be heard. I had an Uncle that was a very quiet man, good christian brother, that never spoke much, he listened literally 90% of the time during family gatherings and at church. This man was the wisest man I ever knew, when he did speak, his words were incredible, like he was always waiting for God to tell him what to speak. I've never run across another person like this in my life, it breaks my heart at the time I was so young, I didn't listen to him like I should have, like most folks today, I was to busy speaking and not listening.

2018/10/28 10:18Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Bro Bill pro,..
May I also now say,.. How much I appreciate your responding thread,
...great wisdom in what you are saying.

Now, if you still know it / have it, I sure would like for you to share with us this other one that you mentioned here,...

(Quote)
“Thank you Elizabeth, I read that quote not to long ago, like you, it made so much sense. Another one I have also read recently is "The Word Is To Be Shared, Not Shoved".

Thank you Brother Bill,
——————♥️
elizabeth

2018/10/28 13:14Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Elizabeth, here's a pretty good wisdom quote "Don’t change the Word of God, Allow the Word of God to change you".

2018/10/28 22:08Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Mr. Bill,

Your quote:
“ "The Word Is To Be Shared, Not Shoved"”

As I look back I realize that was just a quote,... sorry,.. but I was thinking it was an article, and I wanted to hear more about it.

Thank you,

———————♥️
elizabeth

2018/10/29 0:02Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Brothers and Sisters,

Having studied all the Gospel presentations in the Gospels, the book of Acts and the Epistles, I can’t find a mention of the words of John 3:16 or the love of God anywhere in the recorded presentations. Even by Jesus Himself. I don’t mention that as a proof of anything but rather something to ponder.

2018/10/29 20:17Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

WHAT is the Gospel?

ADD:
Is John 3:16 gospel or NOT gospel?

Add:
Haven't checked this myself. Is "hell" anywhere in the recorded presentations?

2018/10/29 20:58Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Deleted - Duplicate post

2018/10/29 21:00Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I’ve posted this before but here goes:

"The True Gospel."

Most of the discussion on this topic centers on what the true Gospel requires of us. The biblical answer begins with repentance, faith, baptism and continued, loyal obedience to Christ. But identifying what the Gospel requires of us is not the same thing as saying what the true Gospel actually is. This list of duties correctly identifies the proper response to the Gospel—not the Gospel itself.

The Gospel is a particular message of good tidings, heralded through Christ and the apostles (but only rarely by modern evangelists). It is called "the Gospel of the Kingdom" (e.g., Matt.4:23; 9:35; 24:14), because it is the proclamation of the presence of another Kingdom and another King—one Jesus (Luke 2:10-11; Isa.52:7; Acts 17:7; 20:25). This entire proclamation can be summarized by the original Christian confession: "Jesus is Lord [i.e., King]." This is what one must confess, in order to be saved (Rom.10:9). It is because He is the King that we must repent (of our former neglect of His lordship), trust Him, and be baptized into His alternative, royal society. Obedience is the obvious response to Lordship:

"Why do you call me 'Lord,' 'Lord,' and you do not do what I say?" (Luke 6:46)

One is not saved by the perfection of his/her obedience, but by the determination to obey completely. This is what happens when one hears, believes, and does not rebel against the proclamation of Christ's Kingship. Baptism is the public submission to the Crown, and a pledge to loyally follow Him until death. Many reduce the Gospel to a decree of justification only. However, justification, in the context of the Kingdom of Christ, is simply the amnesty granted by the King to penitent rebels, as they return in submission to the Authority they formerly spurned.

One is not saved by 80% obedience—nor by 100% obedience (which actually is possible over short periods, by the way). One is saved by having genuinely embraced the King and the life that logically follows from having such a King. None obeys completely, but we are commanded to do so, and true disciples have every intention of doing so. Failure to obey completely is a breach of the King's law, but it is not, in itself, damning. To inadvertently violate the speed limit is not to renounce your citizenship. Likewise, a child is not disowned by his parents because he forgets to do a particular assigned chore. There is grace in this Kingdom for those whose disobedience springs from weakness, ignorance or temporary insanity (James 3:2), and not from rebellion (Matt.26:41).

The Gospel is not a message of performance-oriented acceptance with God. We are saved by the grace of the Crown, and we obey because we love the King. If we do not love the King, whatever begrudged obedience we may render is a sham. It is not salvation.

2018/10/29 21:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy