SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Unconditional love - Really?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Sounds good to me Mak.

2018/3/8 13:27Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re: A little study will go a long way

I suggest using the powerful bible study tools available to us to search out the uses of “phileo”. The use of this word set in the context of the passages the writer chose to employ it will prove very helpful in understanding the distinction between general love “agape” and a love based upon shared interest and heartfelt connection - “phileo”.

I personally was helped by doing what I am suggesting.

Mak

2018/3/8 13:50Profile
Sree

Re:

Well said makrothumia (Alan), I have said the same in this thread as well, but never done the research that you have, neither am I interested in Greek research! It proves that God will reveal to even a babe like me what only people who research on Greek can understand. In my Spirit I always knew God's love for the world and God's love for disciples of Jesus are different and are of different measure.

2018/3/8 15:14Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Sree writes

~~~ Showing that Jesus on the earth loved sinners (using rich young ruler) does not prove that God loves sinners. ~~~

Okay I'm not the brightest bulb here. But exactly what does Romans 5:8 mean when it says,

~~~ But God proves his own love toward us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us! ~~~
???

Blaine

I am sure you are not the brightest (fun intended)! The quote that you posted of mine is about Jesus showing love to sinners. Romans 5:8 is about God as a father showing love. They are surely comparing Apples to oranges, not even related to the point I was making.

I still believe God loves sinners but the love that God has for disciples of Jesus is way above the love he has for sinners.

2018/3/8 15:24Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Better not ring Cal-Arm alarm, Greg will be on the case :)
God displayed his ultimate love to all mankind on the cross.
Man is commanded to repent to receive his grace and experience his love on a personal level.
Failure to do so on man's side will leave him under eternal wrath. God hates sinners who finally reject him.

Both God's love and wrath of God is ultimate and conditional to our repentance and if we bring worthy fruit by works of faith. Here is another can of worms:
Intial conversion is by faith and repentance, but on judgment day it will be works of faith that validate if our once confessed faith is worth the blessed entry into heaven.

The man who initially believed but never bore fruit in his life and just continued to live for his pleasure will face God's wrath, and join those who never believed.

We must hold the 2 verses in balance, they are both true for all humans.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Romans 1:18-19
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

2018/3/8 15:34Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

It seems we all agree that covenantal love of God toward his own sheep is 'true love' expressed, received and reciprocated.

Since God has what is being referred to as a 'general love', or a benevolent love for the lost, yet that love is not saving love, nor is it electing love.

So which one is being spoke of when someone says "God loves you", is it a general love that by our own admission does not save or a covenantal love that we know they don't have but declare it anyway?

Anyone willing to answer?

2018/3/8 16:00Profile
SugarRun

IA

Re: Unconditional love - Really?

The biblical term to describe God’s love is EVERLASTING.

The usual meaning of the word unconditional is `without conditions or reservations; absolute meaning people
need to be loved and accepted unconditionally - without any conditions of performance

Unconditional love cannot be based upon performance or it wouldn't be unconditional. Therefore, it must be based on the intrinsic worth of the person.

Now the well-instructed Christian immediately recognizes a number of serious errors in this teaching of the
Humanistic psychologists and others.

You must not ignore the God of burning holiness who has declared that certain behavior is right and good.

Certain behavior is wrong and evil.

God, in a judgmental and restrictive way demands that all men do what is right and good.

The term "unconditional love" was coined by
Erich Fromm, an atheist in 1934 and developed in his 1956 book ‘The art of loving’

Fromm naively believed a father’s love was always conditional. A mother’s love unconditional and couldn’t be forfeited by sins or transgression.

Fromm taught that a person must love himself, accept himself, and esteem himself in order to reach his highest potential. He did not see love as coming from outside himself.

~ Most of this article from an article found on internet search. ~ eileen

2018/3/8 16:05Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

6 For the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes each one he accepts as his child.”[a]
7 As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father? 8 If God doesn’t discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children at all.

2018/3/8 16:28Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//God hates sinners who finally reject him.//

Why do you keep saying this?

Does a judge have to hate someone he sentences to death?

Say to them, As I live, declares the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?
Ezekiel 33:11

2018/3/8 17:13Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//So which one is being spoke of when someone says "God loves you", is it a general love that by our own admission does not save or a covenantal love that we know they don't have but declare it anyway?

Anyone willing to answer?//

I know I keep harping on Billy Graham, but he told his audience in every sermon that “God loves you.”

I just saw a tribute to Billy (very well done and sobering) and in one of the clips he was preaching and said that when Jesus was hanging on the cross it was God’s way of saying “I love you”. Then he looked out across the audience moving his eyes across the audience while saying “ and he loves you, and you, and you...”

Why would Billy say such a horrible thing?

But I’ll tell you there were a lot of tears in the audience and I was about set to start bawling myself.

2018/3/8 17:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy