SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Effects of the Headcovering on Divorce by Myron Horst

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

BranchinVINE,

In regard to the OP where Mr. Horst declares that abandoning the wearing of the head covering will lead to acceptance of of divorce and remarriage...let me share something based on observation.

I am 70 years old, was raised in a large Mennonite community, specifically, Elkhart Co., IN - home to thousands of Mennonites of all flavors and Goshen College.

If one lives long enough you accumulate a lot of memories, OK?

I want to use Goshen College as a reference point for what follows.

Back in the 1950s the coeds at GC wore coverings, abbreviated, perhaps, but they were worn. Not long after they were discarded because they considered it nonessential. In the meantime, GC got very much involved in social programs where they eventually abandoned Biblical non-resistance and embraced pacifism instead. They have also gotten involved in the political process holding political offices in the area.

Goshen College has become the bastion of liberalism in the Mennonite Church - whatever is considered liberal by anyone wll find support for it there. Unrepentent homosexuals and lesbians are not only welcomed and appreciated they are promoted to church leadership.

Conservative people in the area consider GC a serious thorn in the flesh....it is so serious some Mennonite Churches have removed the name Mennonite off their church signs. GC is viewed with sadness and distain by serious Believers in the community.

It can be argued successfully that its decline began when the educators took a low view of the absolute authority of the Word - in fact, it was because of this issue it was closed down at one point in time, back in the 1920s, I think. In time this philosophy prevailed upon the campus and consequently the student body. The abandonment of the head covering seem to put it on fast track to embrace other perversions. It is hard for me to comprehend the slide into apostasy at Goshen because I well recall the ladies there wearing a head covering.

Today the devil is working hard to discourage Mennonite/Anabaptist women from wearing a head covering. Some of the reasons are:

1. Do not want to look different from the rest of society - am too embarassed.

2. There are a lot of wonderful "christian" ladies out there with a wonderful testimony and they do not wear a headccovering so why do I have to?

3.Men are ashamed to be seen with a woman properly veiled.

In face of this, there are many who are very active in missions and the LORD has been using them mightily, or so it seems. Now the philosophy of experience superseeds the validity, authority of the WORD.

This is the process of decline that has happened and is happening in the Mennonite church.

I must say this, too. The seminary at Elkhart and Goshen had produced some great Mennonite theologians, like J.C. Wenger - whose writings are still held is high regard - and others. Mennonites as a group have been at the forefront in rendering humanitarian aid to the oppressed people, beginning with Russian Mennonites who were fleeing communism back in the 1920-30s. In the meantime, we had wonderful revivals in our communities, some that would rival Billy Graham in fervor and intensity. Parochial schools were started as well as other Bible Schools. We were taught well, God bless those men who had a passion for the LORD. I am a product of this level of education and I am extrelmely grateful for it. However, what is happening now is that in dealing with sin - particularly immorality - people are resorting to 'counseling' . Evangelistic meetings are giving way to a prosperity gospel and it is separating the sheep from the goats. And the women are once again wearing an abbreviated style of head coverings to abandoing them altogether. Divorced and remarried persons are welcomed; and I expect in time unrepentent perverts will be welcomed too. This decline is awakening concerned people where they are abandoning the liberal voices that are promoting apostasy within their ranks.

This is what happens to a culture that was given to serve the LORD but listened to the challenging voice of the devil. The cycle of revival and apostasy is similar to what happened to God's people in the OT era.

Sad. Many grieve over what has become of the Mennonite church at large.

Sandra

2017/10/24 15:47Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

But Sandra you seem to be saying that not wearing a head covering causes divorce, as if it is some sort of a magic charm.

Unless I am misunderstanding.

2017/10/24 15:50Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Todd,

In our church history it has happened that its (divorce) frequency increases when the wearing of head coverings is abandoned. The head covering is NOT a good luck charm that will ward off divorce. There is a mindset that is operative in this obedience that has far reaching repercussions. We women wear it out of obedience to the Lord, recognizing Him as the head of Believers. Doing so will enpower us in ways we are at times left guessing but the blessings is that we do benefit from the ministry of angels of the which we do not fully understand. And also, we recognize we are to submit to our husband[s] which is a dirty word as far as feminists are concerned. And it may well be this is the answer for your question.

I Corinthians 11 also teaches us a veiled woman will have power on her head....now this is a different matter, or is it? What power do we have? One of them just may well be to have the ability to have stable marriages...

Are all females who wear a head covering automatically submissive? No. We have to deal with self-will and bring it under the LORDship of Jesus-it is not automatic but something that we need to work on all the time. It does not preclude one from walking with the LORD.

The blessings are great. For one it gives us many opportunities to witness for our LORD becasue strangers will ask us about it. Sometimes strangers will come up with a prayer request for something that troubles them. Why do they think our prayers are more effective then theirs?

I stick out like a sore thumb in a crowd, but I do not care....If done for the LORD Jesus why should I be embarassed? He was hung on a cross (naked?) for my sins and that is far worse then what he asks me to do.

Sandra

2017/10/24 19:01Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Are you saying that if a non covering believer starts covering that spiritual “power” is imparted to her?

2017/10/24 19:10Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Sandra: Well said, thanks for the Mennonite info.

I would love to see women wear head coverings and this would be taught world-wide. But as I said in an earlier posts ( a rant so I probably came off wrong) that feminism kills anything like this and Its my opinion that if head coverings were to be the norm, feminism would have to die in the hearts of women.

It is no surprise to me to see those women who are most in rebellion to marriage and godly order have butch-cut hair. Just an observation nothing more.

I appreciate your candor and a wonderful explanation.

2017/10/24 19:27Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

What does I Corinthians 11 teach?

V. 10:For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels. KJV

V. 10:Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. NASB

It has been my observation that when females get a hold of this truth, fear is displaced with TRUST in an Almighty God who cares for her well-being. I am convinced too many females who cover have no clue about this reality. My opinion.

What do these verses teach you?

Sandra

2017/10/24 22:04Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//What do these verses teach you?//

That Paul wanted the Corinthian women to abide by the customs of respectable women in their day and culture, which were generally in line with the principle of patriarchy. He does not give details about the custom, since these were well-known to his readers. This lack of detail makes it difficult, if not impossible, for us modern Christians to know exactly how we might duplicate the Greek practice. We have discussed this topic here before, but my opinion is that such imitation is not required today. In view of the corrupt and immodest styles of our own culture, with reference to headcoverings, it might be advisable for Christians to agree among themselves to honor their own “countercultural” standards of dress, possibly including some form of veiling of women. Except as such standards were essential to modesty, however, this would have to be regarded as voluntary and could not be pressed on the basis of Paul’s teaching in I Corinthians 11.

2017/10/25 7:23Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: Ginnyrose

Reply tomorrow.

2017/10/25 7:52Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Marvin,

The wearing of a head covering used to done by Christian women everywhere. It has been only in the recent 60 years that it has been abandoned by Protestants and Evangelicals. If you look at pictures of church gatherings before then you will see females wearing hats in the church house. Back in the 1800s females began embellishing their hats much to the chagrin of some preachers. If you ever take a tour of Williamsburg, VA, a restored colonial town, take a note how the actors dress - they wear period costumes and the ladies wear pretty caps! The difference lies in the fact that Mennonites/Amish maintained it longer then other church groups. The reason for this is because historically Anabaptists were persecuted by the popular church so they banded together for mutual support with the result of being counter-cultureal longer then other groups who worked to be acceptable to mainstream society.

Some will suggest that the rise of feminism gave way to frequent divorces and there no doubt is a correlation. The tragedy is that it is not all women's fault, either. There was a lot of abuse directed towards females by ungodly men and thus feminism went off the rails. In essense, when men and women want and work to have their own way at the expense of the other and their family you will have unresolved conflicts that make divorce an easy way out. Self centeredness is being taught, parents promote it and they end up in utter chaos. A servant mindset is scorned and rejected because it does not promote self.

Sandra

2017/10/25 8:15Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I think this whole thing is classic example of the “post hoc ergo propter hoc” logical fallacy.

Per Wikipedia the form of the post hoc fallacy is expressed as follows:

A occurred, then B occurred.
Therefore, A caused B.
When B is undesirable, this pattern is often combined with the formal fallacy of denying the antecedent, assuming the logical inverse holds: Avoiding A will prevent B.

In the case at hand:
Women stopped wearing head coverings. Divorces increased.
Therefore not wearing headcoverings causes divorce.
Wearing head coverings will decrease divorces.

“The fallacy lies in a conclusion based solely on the order of events, rather than taking into account other factors potentially responsible for the result that might rule out the connection.

A simple example:

The rooster crows immediately before sunrise; therefore the rooster causes the sun to rise.”

2017/10/25 9:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy