SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Dating

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Does someone have an issue with keeping yourself pure? I wish I had, but I didnt know the Lord before I was married. Why see how far to the edge of the cliff we can walk? Or how close to the fire we can get before getting burned?

I hate to use the "slippery slope" cliche here... but thats exactly what physical contact is between dating couples. Where do you draw the line?

Dating is an American phenomenon anyway... we try on different people like we try on shoes. I'm all for courtship, with lots of chaperones. I dont have a daughter, but if I did you can bet she wouldnt be going out with a different guy every weekend, and she sure wouldnt be left alone with anyone.

I have 4 boys... and it will be the same way for them. If they want to do differently, then once they move out of my house they are free to do as they will.

Krispy

2005/6/28 10:14
Welch

Florida

Re:

Highschool is a hard time for most... I personally don't think there's anything wrong with asking a pretty young Christian Female to go to the prom with you and have no intention to marry her but still try to kiss her. Sorry, but God gave us feelings and emotions for a reason. I'm 20 and married a year in August. There have been some struggles but my wife and I where both Virgins and I honestly didn't fall in love with her overnight. I dated her, well to be honest... just to date. We where engaged and again just to be honest while we where engaged I didn't think of our wedding night and wonder how nice the flowers would at where we stay... NO! I was thinking about what usually happens on Wedding nights. This was who I was engaged to though so was I in the wrong? I don't believe so... had I allowed that to control me to the point of trying to make that happen before it would have been honored by God than yes it would be evil. Again, a life that is God honoring will survive the troubles of youth, adulthood, senior years... any troubles that a child of God goes through, He will be their strength and comfort. Remember, God has a sense of humor and he laughs with us when we remember the times we got that date to pizza hut and the local theatre turned down in our faces :lol:
God bless you all! Have fun with this topic! I love you all.

2005/6/28 14:33Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Preacher,

I have been thinking about your question: courtship vs dating. A lot has been written on this, or maybe it hasn't. Josh Harris wrote the book "Why I kissed Dating Good-by" which is a wonderful book, IMHO.

One time we had a visiting minister tell us how a young man wanted a wife and told him so, asking the ministers assistance in finding one for him. He went into detail how this was done. And it worked! Personally, I love this idea: asking a trust minister - one that gets around a lot - for assistance. He meets a lot of people and he could be on the alert for someone suitable. Much prayer must go into this in order for it to be successful. I must say this couple did meet to become acquainted and decided they were suitable for each other. This minister has matched a number of couples and they married.

Preach, I am going to post a testimony - Finding a Wife for Matthew - on a separate thread of how the LORD found a wife for our SIL. It is a testimony of the goodness of God. I trust others will be blessed like we were.

God bless you, young man. He is interested in you and will not leave you dangling. Trust Him.

ginnyrose

2005/9/13 4:06Profile
lyndon

Manitoba, Canada

Re:

I've just been reading through the thread and thought I'd add a little to it.

I'm suprised how many people don't 'see' anything wrong with kissing someone who isn't or won't be your wife. In another thread an older brother posted the question "who's wife were you just holding hands with?" and thats a very valid question. I think that the excuse 'we all have emotions and feelings' is a little shaky ground to stand on when its anothers feelings and purity that we are to consider.

Parsley quoted a verse from Timothy at the beginning of the thread on treating younger women as sisters, if we were to truely apply this verse to courtships I wonder how differently we would do things?

To be honest, my views on this have changed over the past few years, I used to see nothing wrong with a hug or a kiss here and there, but as you come to see how little things creep in and hinder your walk with the Lord.............

King Jimmy I'm glad that you and your girlfriend are walking in the Lord in your relationship, keep puttting him first in all things.

One thing that kept crossing my mind when reading the thread was a quote by Winkie Pratney "Once a fuse is lit its only a matter of time".

Lyndon

2005/9/18 14:33Profile
PaulWiglaf

Hartselle, Alabama

Re:

Just a question: Why would a God whose character is one of fidelity and stability support such fickle and transitory pleasures like dating? It is in this mode of thought that causes me to question Christian backing of something that supports just enlightenment of the senses with little commitment.

Ex: Johny likes Jane, Johny dates Jane, Johny kisses Jane, Johny meets Susanne, Johny dumps Jane.

This cycle sounds like a step down from "preferring one another in honor" (Rom. 12:10) to satifsying, not mortifying, the "inordinate affections" (excessive lusts) mentioned in Colossians 3:5. What would be excessive about them? The mere fact that feelings are placed in higher estate to companionship and commitment.

Also, it sounds more like pleasure without responsibility. Yet, I know that they say they make sure they won't have sex or anything like that, but isn't that like saying, "I won't enter an inferno, so I'll just play with matches"?

Ultimately, though, we should be displayers of the divine nature, as well as partakers thereof. It strikes me that it is culture, not scripture, that obsesses over that exhilirating first kiss, and constantly uses two people consuming each others tonsils to symbolize love. Yet, like in grammar, they misplace this modifier. As sensual ecstasy is not the summation of any relationship (or ought not be), it should be placed secondary to fellowship (spending time with that person/ building up an understanding and enjoyment of their character and personality), as it fades and is only there as an added, temporary blessing.

Also, would we condone men making out with their mothers of sisters? If one would, I'd question their comprehension of Paul's exhortation to Timothy and the soundness of their conscience. Likewise, I think it best that we hold a high standard in order to sustain "all purity" (1 Tim. 5:2) and respect not only with our fellow sisters, but with those that are without. For, if the church is as "an open door" (Song of Sol. 8:9), who will be there to stand against the flood of sensuality?

2005/9/18 16:28Profile
PaulWiglaf

Hartselle, Alabama

Re:

Just a question: Why would a God whose character is one of fidelity and stability support such fickle and transitory pleasures like dating? It is in this mode of thought that causes me to question Christian backing of something that supports just enlightenment of the senses with little commitment.

Ex: Johny likes Jane, Johny dates Jane, Johny kisses Jane, Johny meets Susanne, Johny dumps Jane.

This cycle sounds like a step down from "preferring one another in honor" (Rom. 12:10) to satifsying, not mortifying, the "inordinate affections" (excessive lusts) mentioned in Colossians 3:5. What would be excessive about them? The mere fact that feelings are placed in higher estate to companionship and commitment.

Also, it sounds more like pleasure without responsibility. Yet, I know that they say they make sure they won't have sex or anything like that, but isn't that like saying, "I won't enter an inferno, so I'll just play with matches"?

Ultimately, though, we should be displayers of the divine nature, as well as partakers thereof. It strikes me that it is culture, not scripture, that obsesses over that exhilirating first kiss, and constantly uses two people consuming each others tonsils to symbolize love. Yet, like in grammar, they misplace this modifier. As sensual ecstasy is not the summation of any relationship (or ought not be), it should be placed secondary to fellowship (spending time with that person/ building up an understanding and enjoyment of their character and personality), as it fades and is only there as an added, temporary blessing.

Also, would we condone men making out with their mothers or sisters? If one would, I'd question their comprehension of Paul's exhortation to Timothy and the soundness of their conscience. Likewise, I think it best that we hold a high standard in order to sustain "all purity" (1 Tim. 5:2) and respect not only with our fellow sisters, but with those that are without. For, if the church is as "an open door" (Song of Sol. 8:9), who will be there to stand against the flood of sensuality?

2005/9/18 16:30Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I'm just curious about everyone who has posted in this thread. How old are you? Are you single? Courting/Dating anyone? I'm 21. Single and no. I'm just wondering from what background the your line of thought is coming from.

2005/9/19 8:57Profile
lyndon

Manitoba, Canada

Re:

Hi Josh

I'm 21. Single, and currently involved in a courtship.

Lyndon

2005/9/19 10:36Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I ran across this article and thought it was awesome. [url=http://www.gospeljohn.com/dating.htm]A Christian Testimony of Dating and Marriage[/url]

2005/9/19 15:10Profile
PaulWiglaf

Hartselle, Alabama

Re:

Well, I'm 16 and single. If anything, I'd be quick to admit that my father's infidelity to my mother (and subsequently us) taught me to cherish the precious treasure of relationships, esp. between husband and wife (Well, that it is something fragile and needed to be protected with the utmost of prayer and care). So, experience and the Word have been twin engines in my hard stance toward dating, as well as watching the torture of other friends in their pursuit of pleasure through temporal romance on the school scene.

2005/9/19 23:43Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy