SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Modern day churches

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I think a major problem with institutional churches is that people can hide out there and be safe. There is no need for them to perform their necessary bodily function.

2017/8/28 19:45Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

TMK,

I agree with you. In my church, there are many who go to church, but do not do anything. There are a few who carry out the work. I feel like we make it that way though.

There are some people who do not share in responsibility. They simply will not allow anyone to assist them.

That is regarding strictly the physical work to do. Spiritually, I feel it is lacking even more. The pastor does all the preaching, the Sunday school teachers do all of the teaching, and the rest just come to listen. I have been to a house church before and I liked the element of discussion. I wish a sermon was more discussion oriented, maybe not all of them, but many of them.

2017/8/29 12:16Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: Modern day churches

Your friend seems a bit jaded by western culture church. Maybe that is where your friend is coming from and what isn't settling well with you. I don't know a whole lot about Rome and paganism but I what I do know is we are called to Community. We aren't called to a church, we are called to be the Church. There are some really great things your friend has said but if it is coming from a spirit of bitterness or jadedness then I would say it's in the wrong spirit. I remember when I became bitter with the "system" and wanted to quit church altogether but even if we didn't get the formula 100% correct we are still called to that Community. I would say as long as your friend is gathering with other believers and those believers are challenging him in his walk with Jesus to closer relationship then he is probably alright. Our modern church is more country club than Body of Christ in my opinion but I have learned that there is no such thing as a perfect church but the Church of Jesus Christ is perfect when those individuals come together and seek to attribute worth and glory to Christ Jesus. I try not to get hung up on location and how church is done and focus on how I can give my all to Jesus throughout the whole week. One thing I will say is Paul preached and taught in many different mediums. Don't get the tools mixed up with the Message and Gospel. I don't think God cares about the meeting place but cares more about the Heart Attitudes of those meeting.

2017/8/29 12:47Profile

Re:

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Greg I downloaded the free book will be reading it over the next few weeks to get a better perspective on this. I think my friend has had some bad past experiences with churches in general. Also he goes door to door witnessing and he contacted many churches to see if they were serious about outreach and found none until he contacted the one I am going to. But,my church was going out twice a month to witness but I don't think it was exactly what he wanted because he wanted it more than inviting them to church, but the focus to be the gospel which I totally agree. Please pray for him. His name is Chris and his wife Jessica became very hostile to him going door to door and wants to divorce him because he was getting way to serious about his faith. As far as I go I think I can focus on serving the Lord myself and obeying the word and being a light to the world. Doing my part in the body where ever I go.

2017/8/29 15:03
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I appreciate your friend's zeal, but I am not sure going door to door is the most effective method for witnessing is this day and age. I don't open my door to strangers. Is anything coming of it?

2017/8/29 17:16Profile

Re:

I went twice and I would say definitely yes. Remember just to do his calling in general and to preach the gospel gives a testimony. From what I have noticed is that gets people to think spiritually and most take the gospel tracts. We even asked someone professing to be a Christian how he knows the gospel and we found out that he was hoping that he would get their. So we told of the promises of the gospel. We had a couple good conversations too with believers and nonbelievers. Brother I believe the Lord was blessing what we were doing and if they did ignore it. We could pray for them. I highly recommend it, it takes courage but it is so worth it in many ways.

2017/8/29 17:58
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

That's awesome.

2017/8/29 18:36Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

I think there is too much unjustified jadedness, negativity, complaint, accusations etc that are launched against the true Church of Jesus. I realize there is a visible Church and in invisible one, an institutional Church and denominations and home fellowships. I don't believe any of these hold the aces when it comes to connecting with community ( which is the new Christian buzzword now-a-days) I read Frank Violas book on Pagan Christianity and its really just an anathema against institutional churches (in my opinion). But such dismissive conclusions are formed because some kind of negative report is generated against them. Same with home fellowships where they consist of unproven men, teaching who know what and have not learned to be submissive to God or anyone else. There is good reason to believe there is truth in that.
But, what I'm getting at is Christians today are being affected by postmodernism which rejects the metanarrative of institutional-anything. Its the search for truth on ambiguous terms and who knows if its according to scripture.
There is a reason why God had the creeds created, there is a reason why the Church always has had home fellowships and institutions to serve the God in the world.
Before we anathematize everything that doesn't strike our spiritual fancy at the moment, lets refrain from judging matters way beyond what God has given us to judge and pretending Myself+bible is as good as apostleship over all things. Its not brothers its not.

2017/8/31 21:26Profile
passerby

Re: Modern day churches

The true church is not about form and creed, men can mimic and emphasize the ecclesiatical pattern as accounted in the new testament but miss the crucial element of the Lord's approval and attestation.

2017/9/1 11:07Profile
passerby

Re:

To seek acceptance to the true church, seek to adhere to Christ words not to a particular denomination.

This is the enigma of ekklesia, kuriakon, and the church in a nutshell.

2017/9/1 12:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy