SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did Adam lose the Holy Spirit?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Needing a processor upgrade

Quote:

Stever wrote:
Aren’t we the luckiest people that have ever been [b]given breath[/b]?

That really caught my eye I had never thought of that scripture in this Genesis context.Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and [b]breathed[/b] into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being. Gen 2:7 NASBthe other one beingAnd when He had said this, He [b]breathed[/b] on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. John 20:22 NASB In the Blue Letter online bible it has this interesting piece of information.This word used only once by the LXX translators in Gen 2:7 where God breathed on Adam and he became a living soul. Just as the original creation was completed by an act of God, so to the new creation was completed by an act from the Head of the new creation.This is fascinating, probably doesn't help any but it made me think a bit more.

2005/6/21 14:28Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: On the other hand

This is taking a real flyer which probably needs some real scathing critique from the more learned.

In Genesis 2:7 it says Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils [b]the breath of life[/b]; and man became a living being. (bold mine)
The roots of the words used in bold can make the scripture read. Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils [b]to pant(of a woman in travail or labour)[/b] For God [b]to show, interpret, explain, inform, tell, declare, to show, interpret, to show[/b]; and man became a living being.So using this concordance bending the life that Adam was given was a life that panted and longed for God to guide him in all things.

I know it does not say that but it is a nice picture of dependance on our Father.

Having some fun,

2005/6/21 14:46Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi ZekeO
did you notice that 'God breathing into man... brought life'? cf Ezekiel 37, whereas 'breathing upon them... brought a commission?'

2005/6/21 17:57Profile
dohzman

Re:

when Jesus breathed on the Disciples was that a commission?

2005/6/21 18:03Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Having some fun

I can see that. ;-) The Hebrew phrase, apparently, says 'the breath of live[u]s[/u]. What do you make of that?

2005/6/21 18:03Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
when Jesus breathed on the Disciples was that a commission?

“Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.”
(John 20:21-23, KJVS)
... sounds like it, to me.

2005/6/21 18:06Profile

Re: Did Adam lose the Holy Spirit?

Hi philologos,

You said

Quote:
I think an assumption is being made that 'immortality' is the same as 'eternal life'. Certainly Adam would not have died but then neither would any of the animals or the trees; did they have 'eternal life' too?

It occurs to me that the reason for the expulsion from the garden of Eden was to prevent Adam and Eve in their state of knowing good and evil, [i]in that condition[/i], eating of the Tree of Life and living forever.

Do you mean that Adam had had immortality but not eternal life before the Fall?

2005/6/21 18:13
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Do you mean that Adam had had immortality but not eternal life before the Fall?

In absolute terms only God has 'immortality'. (1Tim 6:16) but, yes, I do think Adam and Eve would have had an endless life-expectancy. Oswald Chambers has a thought that if God had allowed man to eat of the tree of life in his rebellious state man would have become an incarnate devil.

The real point I was making is that 'eternal life' is not just 'life' described in terms of its length, but is 'qualitatively' eternal too.

2005/6/22 2:56Profile
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
Oswald Chambers has a thought that if God had allowed man to eat of the tree of life in his rebellious state man would have become an incarnate devil.

The first few times I read the bible, my impression was similar to that of Mr. Chambers - that is, I imagined that the fruit of the tree of life, if eaten would immediately imbue to the eater eternal life - that is, one nibble would be good enough, you would never need the tree again. But as I meditated on this one day, I realized that my conclusions rested on the fact that Adam and Eve died. I reasoned that since Adam and Eve died, they could not have eaten from the Tree of Life - but that conclusion is only valid if fruit from the Tree of Life gives "everlasting life" from just one bite.

In my meditation, I considered another possibility - that the fruit from the Tree of Life didn't give instantaneous and irrevokable life - rather it sustained life (Not a tree of eternal life - but a the tree of continuing life) If this were the case, and I believe it is, then Adam and Eve (and all their progeny) were/are cut off from the tree of life (from which Adam and Eve formerly ate).

If I understand it that way - then "original sin" makes more sense - we are all born into a living death - that is, we are born cut off from the Tree of Life - and until/unless we come to Christ we remain cut off from that "olive" tree.

I am over simplifying it of course, but I have to admit, understanding the Tree of Life in this way explained so much of what I had already come to believe through scripture.

Thoughts?

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/6/22 12:17Profile
dohzman

Re:

what was the difference between that action and the upper room experience on the day of penecost? I always thought that thier commission came from the upper room?

2005/6/22 16:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy