SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A Thought Provoking Statement

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Yes, you have answered the first two questions, brother. The third question, though, you have answered without realizing. You know those things about Jesus because of His word.

Faith comes by hearing. Hearing comes by the Word of God. The Pharisees didn't get that. They stopped at hearing and believed that just by having and knowing the scriptures that they had eternal life. THAT, my friend, is Bible idolatry.

2017/7/14 21:54Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Also, the Spirit works in tandem with the Scriptures. Remember: the Spirit works in our lives to bring to mind the Words of Jesus. We don't know those without the scripures.

2017/7/14 21:56Profile

Re: Havok

•••••••

Faith comes by hearing. Hearing comes by the Word of God. The Pharisees didn't get that. They stopped at hearing and believed that just by having and knowing the scriptures that they had eternal life. THAT, my friend, is Bible idolatry.

•••••••

Very insightful bro. I would agree that is biblical idolatry. To have only the scriptures themselves and believe that they bring eternal life is biblical idolatry.

Jesus goes on to say that these are the scriptures that testify about me. Yet you refuse to come to me so that you may have life.

I get this picture of the Pharisees with their little pointers looking at the scrolls so intently that they could not look up and see that Jesus was the fulfillment of the Torah.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/15 5:52
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by havok20x
Lysa, I most certainly agree that we must worship in spirit and truth, so my question to you is this: what is truth, what is it's source, and how has the Lord chosen to convey that truth?

and later...

Also, the Spirit works in tandem with the Scriptures. Remember: the Spirit works in our lives to bring to mind the Words of Jesus. We don't know those without the scripures.

I'm not saying the Scriptures are not important b/c thank the Lord we have them but this thread was started with a thought provoking topic, "...He remarked that the Bible is not a holy book. But the Bible is a book about One who is holy." And I'm agreeing with him!

Jesus commanded them: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift the Father promised, which you have heard Me discuss. (Acts 1:4) and that gift wasn't the Bible either.

When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. ~ John 16.13

When the Advocate comes, whom I will send you from the Father--the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father--He will testify about Me. ~ John 15:26

I love Scripture, as you can see from what I have posted!! If we do not walk with Holy Spirit, no matter what we read will get twisted.

God bless,
Lisa

2017/7/15 7:21Profile
Elibeth

Re: A Thought Provoking Statement

Bro Bear,
My thoughts on what this man, mentioned
We know that Jesus' death was to be before hand,and was meant to be.

But 'The Words' that He spoke / preached,was also what He came to do.
(He is 'ONE' with The Word of God.) ....He came preaching 'The kingdom of God / heaven is at hand.'...( it is in His hand,...it is His good pleasure to give it to us.

He was persecuted / hated / and killed, because of The Word, that He spoke../ and the Life that He Lived, ...a life that goes w/ The Word...He Lived in a kingdom, not of this worlds kingdom.

That true Life and Word brings an offense.

I have seen many times,..that there are ones that want to have a Jesus without The Word,...could it be, because with The Word, comes a responsibility to that Word ?
We no,that if we have a Jesus without The Word,...then we have another Jesus,..

The Holy Spirit that The Lord has placed within us is Word / Spirit-
A fountain of Living Water,that rises up within us,unto Life.,..guides us,
(leading us by His Spirit)...
And when He teaches / speaks to us,through His Spirit, we can go to the written Word, to confirm ,what He has spoken to us about.

(So we thank God for the written Word.)

----------------
elizabeth

2017/7/15 14:43Profile

Re: A Thought Provoking Statement

Brother,
that is very thought provoking. Here is a quote by Richard Wurmbrand, found of "The Voice of the Martyrs".....I have pondered on this too as it is similar to what you are presenting. (I can't seem to copy and paste the actual quote, but here is the page with more of his quotes)

http://www.azquotes.com/quote/543365

Notice that he does not deny the bible as the truth....this man had a deep love for Jesus, for the body, and much good fruit...

2017/7/15 15:26

Re: Sheri

Sister here is the Richard Wurmbrandt quote that you referenced,

•••The Bible is a wonderful book. It is the truth about the Truth. It is not the Truth. A sermon taken from the Bible can be a wonderful thing to hear. It is the truth about the truth about the truth. But it is not the truth. There have been many books written about the things contained in the Bible. I have written some myself. They can be quite wonderful to read. They are the truth about the truth about truth about the Truth. But they are NOT the Truth. Only Jesus Christ is the Truth. Sometimes the Truth can be drowned in a multitude of words.•••

Very profound indeed from a godly saint who suffered much for Jesus.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/15 15:42

Re:

•••Also, the Spirit works in tandem with the Scriptures. Remember: the Spirit works in our lives to bring to mind the Words of Jesus. We don't know those without the scripures.•••

I would agree with the above statement by bro Havok.  But this started me thinking. Should our emphasis be up on the written word as in our Bible? Or should the emphasis be upon the spoken word by the Holy Spirit.

Consider the versus below,

John 3:34

•••For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for He gives the Spirit without measure.•••

John 6:63

•••It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.•••

Hebrews 1:1-2

•••God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.•••

It seems that under the old Covenant the emphasis was on the written word. But it seems that under the New Covenant the emphasis is on the spoken Word as by the Holy Spirit.  Of course Jesus being the Word.

Just my thoughts for meditation.

Bro Blaine 

2017/7/15 15:51

Re:

I would call it an "unhelpful statement".
It is not one or the other or what is more important.

It is "God breathed" , ie the Words are from God and therefore of infinite value. You can't compare it with other writings just as you can't compare God.
There is none like You, O LORD; You are great, and great is Your name in might. Jeremiah 10:6
Jesus Himself said many times: "it is written..."
In Matthew 22:29 He said "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.

2017/7/15 16:16

Re:

"""It is "God breathed" , ie the Words are from God and therefore of infinite value. You can't compare it with other writings just as you can't compare God."""

I completely agree that the Word of God is "God Breathed". There isn't any other book like it. If I read the profound statement correctly, the understanding I get isn't to deny the bible in any way. When I read Richard Wurmbrandts quote, my initial thought was, "why would he say that?" But I think I understand....there are people who "worship" the bible as they do Jesus. If I remember correctly, I believe another brother from a persecuted county said the same thing..."people worship the bible"....it may have been Brother Yun. Jesus is the LIVING WORD. He absolutely inspired the bible, but we worship Jesus. I hope this helps.

2017/7/15 17:28

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy