SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 4

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

"Keep me. Lord, from fainting
In this fierce fight,
When the foe is rising,
Clothe me with Thy might."
-Evan Roberts

2005/7/30 1:26Profile

Re:

"Great truths that are stumbling blocks to the natural man are nevertheless the very foundations upon which the confidence of the spiritual man is built."

Harry B. Ironside

2005/8/6 8:50
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quotes by Malolm Muggeridge:

People do not believe lies because they have to, but because they want to.

I can say that I never knew what joy was like until I gave up pursuing happiness, or cared to live until I chose to die. For these two discoveries I am beholden to Jesus."

Contrary to what might be expected, I look back on experience that at the time seemed especially desolating and painful with particular satisfaction. Indeed, I can say with complete truthfulness that everything I have learned in my seventy-five years in this world, everything that has truly enhanced and enlightened my experience, has been through affliction and not through happiness, whether pursued or attained. In other words, if it were ever possible to eliminate affliction from our earthly existence by means of some drug or other medical mumbo jumbo...the result would make it too banal and trivial to be endurable. This, of course is what the cross signifies. And it is the Cross that has called me inexorably to Christ.

2005/8/6 9:58Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Greg
I noted your quote from Chadwick; you are reading in rich pastures! Here are one or two gleanings from Chadwick's life.

You cannot tell the truth about people you don't like, and therefore the first duty you owe them is silence. Chadwick's mother!

Speaking of 666 as the number of highest human attainment apart from God he wrote; My contention is that 'sixes' can fill chapels; that it may be due rather to religious Barnumism than the the Holy Ghost; crowds may not be churches. Its number will only be the same as the devil's "666".

and contrasting regeneration with reformation he wrote: It is not the sty that makes the pig, but the pig that makes the sty.

a vision without a task makes a visionary.
a task without a vision is drudgery
a vision with a task makes a missionary

2005/8/6 11:04Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re: Who Said it?

I love this quote but don't know who said it, im sure it was a purtian.

"Unless we have WITHIN us that which is ABOVE us, we will eventually yield to that which is AMONG us."

Powerful!

2005/8/6 11:34Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re: Charles Finney

[b]"a man being rich under the gospel, when it is known that his money can be used for the glory of God and the conversion of souls, is demonstration absolute, that he loves the world supremely. To say that he is rich, but does not set his heart upon riches--that he continues to retain his wealth, and yet does not set his heart upon it, is manifestly absurd and false. For, certainly, nothing but a supreme attachment to it could cause him to hold on to the possession of it, when every wind is loaded down with cries and beseechings to send the bread of life to those that are ready to perish.”[/b] Charles Finney

2005/8/6 15:18Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

"A preacher who preaches the truth uncompromisingly will be asked "does your preaching always have to be so pointy? Does it always have to be so sharp?" And of coarse the answer is no. He can blunt his message if he'd like and become just as dull as the average preacher.""
-Jesse Morrell

2005/8/7 17:12Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

"It is not our business to make the message acceptable, but to make it available. We are not to see that they like it, but that they get it."
-Dr. Vance Havner

2005/8/7 17:15Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

A man who spoke little English gave this description of a sermon he had heard: he said "Big wind. Much lightening. Loud thunder. No rain!"
-Selected-

2005/8/7 17:17Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Martin Luther on Preaching

"A wooden key is not so beautiful as a golden one, but if it can open the door when the golden one cannot, it is more useful"

"that is the best cat which catches the most mice"

"No one can be a good preacher to the people who is not willing to preach in a manner that seems childish and vulgar to some."

"So preach that those who do not fall our with their sins may fall out with thee"

"You must preach as a mother suckles her child"

2005/8/7 17:34Profile

©2002-2017 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy