SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Bible Answer Man' converts to Eastern Orthodoxy

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Bible Answer Man' converts to Eastern Orthodoxy

Well...what say, folks?

Bible Answer Man' converts to Eastern Orthodoxy
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2017/04/bible-answer-man-converts-to-greek-orthodox-church/#LR3e7HluksJqYIMu.99

Don't want to stir up a hornets nest but must admit this took me by surprise, or maybe I was not in tune to what he was saying? The fact is I rarely listen, or read these guys writings' anymore...

Sandra

2017/4/13 18:06Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Bible Answer Man' converts to Eastern Orthodoxy

Famous Christian celebrities - oxymoron?

My mind goes to Thomas Howard, Franky Shaeffer, John Howard Yoder, and others (these just came to my mind) - all well-known ....just goes to prove how important it is to allow the WORD to be our sole authority for doctrine and life. So many times famous people who have helped us will end up disappointing.

Sandra

EDITED

2017/4/13 18:16Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

He goes into answering this on the latest broadcast: answering these 2 questions

I understand the Nicene creed predates the New Testament scriptures. What scriptures were this creed based on?

Have you changed you views on the nature of the elements in the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper?

http://www.equip.org/broadcast/jesus-cleansing-temple-qa/

This is the official reply from the CRI Ministry on their facebook page to a person asking about this:

Hank Hanegraaff is still faithful to Christ and a faithful Christian.

To understand more on Hank joining the Eastern Orthodox Church, please check out his responses to related questions on the following Bible Answer Man broadcasts:

Did you leave the Christian faith to become Greek Orthodox? http://www.equip.org/broadcast/islamic-terrorism-persecuted-christians-qa/ (4/10/2017)

What are the distinctive doctrines of Eastern Orthodoxy and why are you interested in Eastern Orthodoxy? http://www.equip.org/broadcast/sounding-alarm-qa/ (4/4/2017)

What church do you attend? http://www.equip.org/broadcast/incoherence-transgenderism-qa/ (2/7/2017 at 23:05)

CRI Staff

P.S. Hank takes on many responsibilities as President of CRI and host of the Bible Answer Man broadcast, which is why he commissions members of the research staff to oversee the needs of social media pages.

2017/4/13 18:42Profile

Re:

Wasn't Jesus, Himself enough for Hank Hanegraaff? One wonders?

Bro Blaine

2017/4/13 19:02
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

The Credal Answer Man.

2017/4/13 20:13Profile

Re:

Next step for Hank? Catholicism. Its the Erasmus spirit. In the end it is not hard to see some men who will go down this path............bro Frank

2017/4/13 21:57
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"Next step for Hank? Catholicism."

Thomas Howard did as did Franky Shaefer. Shaeffer really went off the rails, declaring himself eventually to be an atheist. (Franky found the arts drawing him to the Orthodox Church...so he said one time.)

I am no judge as to Hanks salvation but find it very odd to see folks going this route. I do wonder what factored into these decisions - was it easy Believism with no structure? Catholism and Eastern Orthodox have a lot of structure. I have observed there are people out there who find severe structure, culture appealing. Is this why some go there? Am asking the question..

Sandra

2017/4/13 22:26Profile

Re:

I had a chance to talk to Hank at length. I personally found no witness in my spirit. There is a certain kind of man, who outside of an actual encounter with the living God, who only has a "relationship" with God in his head, will go down this route. Consider this scripture..........

Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men, And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.
(Joh 2:23-25)

There is a certain kind of man who for reasons other than encountering and falling in love with Jesus, announce their belief in the Son of God. When a man genuinely commits his life to Jesus, Jesus commits himself to that man. They become one because they are genuinely born again. Only time can tell. Like the parable of the sower and the seed, the seed can take decades to identify itself.

Many are standing on the edge of the river Tiber. Many in these end times will flock back to Catholicism. They are not free therefore they love legalism and will be drawn to it. He who the Son sets free is free indeed. Free from the bondage of legalism. Paul would not stand for it, not even for an hour. If a man has been a captive for years and then set free by the Lord Jesus, nothing will compel him to return again to the bondage of legalism. This is part and parcel of the great falling away............bro Frank

2017/4/13 23:09

Re:

I have to ask the question again. Was not Jesus, Himself enough for Hank Hannagraff? Often times, Evangelicals who convert to liturgical churches often say there is more meaning in the liturgy. There is something more substantive in the smells and bells.

Yet in the midst of all of this, I ask again, where is Jesus? Is not a relationship with the living Son of God enough to satisfy the spiritual longings of one's heart?

I find it interesting that our brothers and sisters in persecuted nations find the relationship with Jesus to be far more satisfying than a church structure. But then they are in a situation where a church structure is is not available to them. And that may be a blessing of persecution. But then, in the midst of persecution, you are either driven away from Christ or you are driven to Christ. And the fires of persecution often reduce one to a radical simplicity to Jesus and Him alone.

A little over 2 years ago, 21 Coptic believers died on the shores of Libya. The heads were sliced off by ISIS. These 21 brothers came out of an Orthodox Coptic background. On the day of their martyrdom. One Name became precious to them. One Person became their focus. And that Name was Jesus Christ. And their focus was the Son of God. On that day, 21 Coptic believers realized that none of the liturgy meant nothing. The only name that really mattered was the name of Jesus. Each one died with the name of Jesus Christ on his lips.

So I ask again of Hank Hanegraaff or any believer thinking of going into the RCC or orthodoxy or any religious system. Is Jesus Himself not enough?

Bro Blaine

2017/4/14 6:55
proudpapa

Re:

I am not defending the move but simply posting this so that we can better understand what has led him to this move.

"...This week, Hanegraaff spent some of his airtime answering questions about his decision to leave Protestantism for Orthodoxy.
“People are posting this notion that somehow or other I’ve walked away from the faith and am no longer a Christian,” Hanegraaff said on his Tuesday broadcast. “Look, my views have been codified in 20 books, and my views have not changed.”
Hanegraaff and his wife Kathy have been attending the Orthodox church for more than two years, he said on his Monday broadcast.
His journey to Orthodoxy began with a trip to China, when “I saw Chinese Christians who were deeply in love with the Lord, and I learned that while they may not have had as much intellectual acumen or knowledge as I did, they had life,” he said.
On the flight back, Hanegraaff wondered if he was even a Christian. “I was comparing my ability to communicate truth with their deep and abiding love for the Lord Jesus Christ.”
He began to study the work of Watchman Nee and the idea of theosis (the Eastern Orthodox teaching on seeking union with God), which led him back to the early Christian church.
“I’ve been impacted by the whole idea of knowing Jesus Christ, experiencing Jesus Christ, and partaking of the graces of Jesus Christ through the Eucharist or the Lord’s table,” he said. “Nothing has changed in my faith.”
CT reported in 2009 how CRI critiques of Watchman Nee in the 1970s (prior to Hanegraaff’s tenure) led other theology watchdogs to label the Chinese Christian’s “local churches” movement a cult, but Hanegraaff acknowledged “we were wrong” and endorsed the movement’s orthodoxy in 2008. (The Local Church sued over the cult label in 2003.)
Hanegraaff’s move to Orthodoxy took a decade, and has put him and his wife on the same spiritual page, he said Tuesday.
“I have been typically more skewed toward truth and, quite frankly, Kathy more skewed towards life,” he said on air. “But today we are on precisely the same page in life and in truth, and we’re loving it. Daily we thank God that he has saved us by grace alone through an active faith in our dear Lord Jesus Christ.”
Hanegraaff’s move was welcomed by Rod Dreher, author of The Benedict Option and an Orthodox Christian.
“What astounding news,” he told The Christian Post. “Many evangelicals seek the early church; well, here it is, in Orthodoxy.”
The Eastern Orthodox Church is divided into 14 separate branches; last summer they attempted their first meeting since 787. Not everyone came; some boycotted over items missing from the agenda. (In more than 1,200 years, a lot of issues cropped up; the original list stretched to more than 100 items.)
Another historic meeting—between Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill—also took place last summer, as the leaders of the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches met at an airport in Cuba to discuss record levels of Christian persecution.
Meanwhile, Hanegraaff’s conversion gives evangelicals one more bridge to Orthodoxy after the loss of two leaders in 2012. Evangelical-friendly Metropolitan Jonah resigned under pressure, and Peter Gillquist, who led around 2,000 Protestants into Eastern Orthodoxy in 1987, passed away."

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2017/april/bible-answer-man-hank-hanegraaff-orthodoxy-cri-watchman-nee.html

2017/4/14 10:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy