SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Inspiration from Revelation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
dohzman

Re: Phillip

Polycarp was a disciple of the apostle John and he resided Smyrna and was bishop over that congregation. Eusebius recounts his life and works along with him being martyred in the early persecution, Lightfoot also notes the similar tradition historically but can be a bit more laborious to get through. It been awhile since I read Fox' s book of Martyrs but it may be mentioned in that work also. Sorry I was not clear...sometime my mind races faster than my fingers work on these keys and I do not take the time to proof read...I've missed entire sections of thought at times! Anyway church tradition states that he was burned at the stake but it took a thrust of a spear in his side to kill him. Similar things happened when saints who were feed to wild beasts, the wild beast refused to attack them so the soldiers present had to end their lives. Even John the apostle tradition says was placed in boiling oil and not harmed before being exiled to the Isle of Patmos.
Hope that clarifies it for you.

2017/3/25 11:04Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Thank you, that helps a bit. I will have to do some reading on Polycarp. Fascinating though. My mind is not what it used to be, but I still use it as much as I can with the Holy Spirits help.

Again, thank you
In Christ: Phillip

2017/3/25 16:04Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
" My mind is not what it used to be, but I still use it as much as I can with the Holy Spirits help."

As long as one is aware of this reality, you'll do ok - I think. One also becomes more keenly aware that it is only through the mercy and grace of God that one can hope for eternal life.

It is like they say, "ageing ain't no fun and it sure ain't for sissies".

Sandra

2017/3/27 10:56Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Philadelphia

"I know your deeds."

I just noticed the frequency of this phrase as it appears in the message to the churches. It is used five times; one time it is says "I know where you live" and the other "I know your tribulation."

Anyhow...

A person encounters a lot of people who say works do not matter in whether one is saved or not, that we are not saved by our works so works are dismissed in its entirely as being legalistic, Pharisaical.

But He still says I know your works. If they are irrelevant why make a mention of them?

Seems to me a careful meditation on this fact of Jesus knowing our works, knowing where we live, knowing our tribulation should teach one in short order the role of works in the life of a Believer.

Works and first love - how they are so intertwined they cannot be separated. Our works are evidenced by what resides in the heart.

Lots of doctrine taught here, is it not? He gets to the point quickly, does not waste words thus confusing the reader.

Sandra

2017/3/27 11:07Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Philadelphia

He knows full well Whose works are good works? Only His works in us.

Colossians 1:29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

All our works before the Cross were wicked. For they were works in flesh of mankind.

Colossians 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled.

"sometime alienated", Strong's: "to be a non participant" that is by wicked works only.

"Yet now hath He reconciled"; Colossians 1:22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

Now! I am to work, but according to His working in me, which are the only works that count. This is to be our striving and the works that work in us mightily are His works in us, these are the only works that are works from heavenly places in Christ Jesus.

We must learn How He works and emulate in us those works for the kingdom, for that is of all His works.

2017/3/27 18:41Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

The admonition to this church in Philadelphia are so timely. The phrase "you have kept the word of My perseverance" comes back to haunt me, challenge me.

Perseverance - the act of keeping on in spite of situations that work to deter one from his goal. To pursue successfully in face of severe opposition requires a different mindset, one that is focused on a goal not shared by popular culture. It means you think totally differently from prevailing culture; it allows the Word of God to permeate his being, train his emotions, his approach to life and the curves it throws at you. This mindset is en-powering. It is being other-worldly.

Now, because you have this mindset what is the LORD Jesus promising? An open door, one that no man can shut. And...those who deal in lies "I will make them come and bow down at your feet, and make them know that I have loved you." Interesting. We all know that holiness will spare one from suffering the consequences of sin and the resulting tests that are sure to come...But to have liars come and acknowledge the rightness of what you stand for? Imagine that in today's climate of lies! Whether they will or not, time will prove the truthfulness of God's WORD, no doubt about it.

Welll.....been discouraged lately? I have. Can't give up...then the question comes, 'why do I allow another person's sin disturb my well-being? Why do I allow their sin to impact my emotions? Why?' The promise is given that if you persevere you will be saved from testing. Hmmm.... You know what? when I cast this situation at his feet and let Him deal with it - knowing full well the devil is in it - it would save me a lot of grief.

This admonition to Philadelphia is just as timely today as it was in the day it was given, don't you think? It is for me.

Sandra

2017/3/29 10:35Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Psalms 18:33 He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places.

You raise me up to stand upon the mountains, You raise me up to walk on stormy seas, I am strong when I am on Your shoulders, You lift me up to more than I can be.

These are the works that he knows and sends forth into our hearts.

Joh 5:20
For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth Him all things that Himself doeth: and He will shew Him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
Joh 14:12
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Resurrection Power that overcomes the world.

That we may marvel.

"Christ in you the hope of glory"

2017/3/30 0:45Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Phillip quoted:

"Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

When it comes to practical living, walking with the LORD, I consider this the best verse instructing how one should respond to the nudging of the Holy Spirit. It may not make sense, defies logic, but when obeyed it eventually makes a lot of sense. At the core we are just very ignorant folks, but when one follows the leading of the Holy Spirit insight follows.

When the LORD leads us He leads us to the difficult, the impossible - things we in our own power cannot hope to accomplish for lack of understanding, insight. But when we put our hand into His' He will assist us to accomplish His will, we become a partaker. When this happens it will feed our admiration, love, appreciation and worship for Him.

Appreciate the reminder, Phillip.

Sandra

2017/3/30 11:20Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Synagogue of Satan

Synagogue of Satan:

Rev.3:9b: "I will cause those of the synagogue of Satan, who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie..."

I just noticed this that got me to thinking.

Apparently there were Jews, religious ones, at that, who have apostatized to where Jesus says they are of the synagogue of Satan. No details are given as how they acquired this distinction so one is left to surmise. I wonder how many churches today could fit into this category?

In a nearby city is a large Methodist church. They put on a wonderful Christmas program every year, complete with traditional Christmas music, lights - it is beautiful, have been doing it for years and it draws large crowds. But. Then we heard they are accepting homosexual behaviors in their group. Another lady whose husbands' job forces them to move around a lot told us how they visited that church. After visiting there several times they observed the absence of the name of Jesus being used in their services; they use the name God but not Jesus.

Beautiful music, beautiful buildings, prominent. When I heard this I decided I will no longer attend any event in that building. Sounds like a modern day synagogue of Satan. Harsh words, but if Jesus used them to describe a group of people can we do any less?

Sandra

2017/3/30 11:44Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

The Spirit of Jezebel

A lot has been written detailing what the spirit of Jezebel looks like but suffice it to say it is the spirit of rebellion in all its forms. I would like to visit this thought here.

A reason for sharing is what I have seen in recent days. I have seen pictures via FB of a wedding by people who grew up knowing and being aware of the principles of modesty. The wedding they financed and graced defies all they have been taught and supported in days past.

As I scrolled through the pics I saw the spirit of fornication so evident it makes me sick so I wonder, "why?" "where did we go wrong?" How can people abandon principles of modesty and embrace the world of lust via nudity?

Rev. 2:20: "Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality.." People in church leadership will in the name of love and tolerance accept prevailing fashions that feed lust via immorality. This is what Jezebel does. And Jesus says he holds this thing against them.

God helping me, I am resolving to be more aggressive in speaking out on this issue. If you talk to other seniors they will say "we are old school", "people won't listen and it is useless". Lord, help us! And you younger, would you please encourage the seniors that do work to encourage? They may not have developed encouragement into a modern - approved art form, but try to understand the spirit that drives them.

If we speak up and out people will be critical of us - but so they did to the OT prophets, throwing them into a dungeon or killing them. We MUST become more aggressive in challenging people on this issue. At its heart it is an issue of rebellion against God and one must never, ever be diverted from this reality.

Scriptures teach us that the older women need to teach the younger ones and sisters it is high time we get on the ball - and men!- if we challenge the ladies, you need to get with it for the dads! Dads need to put a foot down and tell their wives or daughters NO to immodesty even if it makes them mad. I had a niece that married and even though she and her fiance` did not know the LORD her dad insisted on a modest dress - he was very adamant and so she did and she looked very pretty.

We are living in an age where love is being redefined by allowing another to do as they pleased with no opposition from anyone! My generation was not taught that. Loving means warning, stopping people from doing things that harm themselves and others.

Can we become more loving? Can't do it without the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. But we must be obedient and I suspect we have disobeyed too many times out of fear of man. God help us!

Sandra

2017/4/3 15:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy