SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What books are you reading?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Currently reading:
Sodom Had No Bible by Leonard Ravenhill

2017/2/12 20:45Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

That's a good one, I have it. Can't go wrong with Ravenhill.

2017/2/12 21:41Profile
mseshoz

Aylesbury, United Kingdom

Re:

Greetings beloved Brethren.

I haven’t posted here before but I do love to read although I must say I don’t get as much private reading time because we have little children.

Some of my favourites are;

‘We Would See Jesus’ – Roy Hession, also ‘Calvary Road’ mentioned in the OP above.
‘The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit’ – R A Torrey
‘The Life of God in the Soul of Man ‘– Henry Scougal
‘Path to prayer’ and ‘Way to Pentecost’ by Samuel Chadwick
‘Power through prayer’ by E M Bounds.
I’ve just read ‘The gifts and Ministries of the Holy Spirit by Lester Sumrall’ and currently ploughing through;
‘Christian in Complete Armour’ –W. Gurnall

I've recently been given 'Why Revival Tarries' Ravenhill however I'm as yet to read it.

2017/2/13 5:33Profile
wijnand

Re: What books are you reading?

Currently:
- Evangelism & Prayer (Jennie Penn-Lewis)
- How saved are we (Michael L Brown)

I have just read:
- Chasing the dragon (Jackie Pullinger)
- Joy of the Lord (Bakht Singh)

I read max 1 chapter a day, to really think about what I have read. Before I read many books a week, but I forgot everything and it was not really beneficial.

2017/2/13 7:32Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

I picked up a great book last year from a second hand charity shop. I occasionally have a look at the book section and very rarely I find something worth while.

However this day I saw a book on the shelf called 'The Life and Epistles of St Paul' by Conybeare and Howson. I had never heard of it of the authors, but had a good feeling about it and bought it for one pound. Boy, what a find! This probably ranks as one of my all time best books I have ever read!

It was written in 1890s, and there have been some re-prints some years ago, which is what I picked up and there are I think limited available if you search the web.

The book is basically a biography of Paul and "it's purpose is to give a living picture of St Paul himself and the circumstances by which he was surrounded". It is a thoroughly biblical book and draws on the book of Acts and the Epistles as the foundation for all information and supplements that with the history and geography of the time to give a very great understanding of Paul, his missionary life and the early church. Although some of the geopolitical information is a bit dated (1890s), it does not take anything away from the study.

I would thoroughly recommend it. Although some of the geographical and political information is quite hard going at times it rewards you with such a rich understanding when you get into the related biblical accounts of Paul and his endeavours.

I now have an original 1892 copy I purchased from the internet as I have lent my other one out.

2017/2/16 10:59Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

HeyDave,

I was interested after reading your post, I found the 2nd Vol on books.google.com. The 1856 edition. I couldn't find the 1st Volume

The life and epistles of st. Paul,
by W.J. Conybeare and J.S. Howson, Volume 2
https://books.google.com/books?id=s7QCAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=%27The
+Life+and+Epistles+of+St+Paul%27+by+Conybeare+and+Howson&hl=en&sa=X&ved=
0ahUKEwi7wd7_qJXSAhXollQKHU3WAVwQ6AEIMDAD#v=onepage&q=%27The%20Life
%20and%20Epistles%20of%20St%20Paul%27%20by%20Conybeare%20and%20
Howson&f=false

(Copy the link and take out the "returns")

God bless

2017/2/16 14:19Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Yes that looks like the second half of the book. Don't know why it is in two volumes on here as it is one book. Maybe they had to split it to get it into an ebook. You really could do with the first half, as you may mis some facts previously given, but it will give you a a good read and a flavour of the whole.

2017/2/16 14:26Profile
fullermt

United States

I too read quite a bit and have been fortunate to discover some great books that seem to have been somewhat overlooked by many people I interact with. You mentioned that tedious theology bores you so I limited myself to non-theology titles, but I have read about 20 different books on identity in Christ which for me are anything but tedious, so if you're interested I'd be happy to suggest a couple of my favorites.
I love testimonies, and my favorite is "An Apprenticeship of Faith" by J. Edwin Orr.
My favorite biography is "Against the Tide" by Angus Kinnear, a biography of Watchman Nee.
I have benefited from several books that are good as devotionals, but one of my favorites is "The Seeking Heart" by Francois Fenelon.
Finally, my current read is a great book on faith called "16" by Joe Giuffrida, who also happens to be a personal friend. It is an interesting and insightful examination of the 16 Old Testament characters listed in "the hall of faith" from Hebrews 11.
Thanks for starting this thread, now I have more books to put on my list to read!

2017/2/16 16:11Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Agreed.

I no longer read theological works/books - been bit one too many times. I learn to appreciate a writer then later I hear he went off the rails. Anyhow, all these writers do/did is what I personally should be doing and that is doing an in-depth study of the WORD. Currently I am studying Revelation, again. Am loving it. Beats reading the news any day.

Sandra

2017/2/16 16:13Profile
flameoffire

Michigan

I just finished

The Blessing of Humility by Jerry Bridges

I just started

Humility by Andrew Murray

I'm halfway through

Jeremiah and Lamentations: From Sorrow to Hope (Preaching the Word) by Philip Graham Ryken

and

Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches by Russell Moore

2017/2/16 16:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy