SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : interpreting

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

interpreting

One thing that I have learned in life is that it is very easy to misinterpret the language and meanings of those not of our own culture. When I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Southern Africa in the early 1980's I learned the Sesotho language and doing so taught me alot about interpretation. For instance, they had a completely different concept of time. If they said that they would be meeting you in a little while it might be tomorrow or sometime in the next week or so, and this was understood. Being a westerner brought up with a different concept of time when some one told me they would meet me at the credit union office (i work for the cu league) on monday or in a little while I could show up and wait all day or more than a day for this person to show up and when they did, and I expressed some exasperation at having to wait for them for a day or more, they had no concept at all about why I would be upset. So, correct interpretation is completely dependent upon an understanding and knowledge of how a culture operates and what its understanding of the world is. This is the point I would bring up to all who interpret Genesis as a literal production. It was written in a culture that we don't really understand very well. It was written in a society that had no conception of the vastness of the universe, or that stars were other suns, or that the earth was round, etc. It is very understandable that they wrote the story as it appears today, with God creating for six days and then resting. And somehow much of it reflects the actual events that occured in evolution. All the waters were gathered into one place. Early man was an herbivore. (I have gone into this before at length and wont repeat here.)

My point is that reading and interpreting Genesis and the Bible in general should be tempered with an understanding of what the culture of society understood at the time of the writings. Thus the Old Testament and New Testament should not be read and interpreted in the same ways because they came out of very distinct cultures. You can read Jesus' teachings more literally than the OT because the cultures from which the NT came from was vastly more knowledgable and literate than in BC 4,000.

Bubbaguy

2005/6/10 11:30
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: interpreting

Jake/bubbaguy

Quote:
This is the point I would bring up to all who interpret Genesis as a literal production. It was written in a culture that we don't really understand very well. It was written in a society that had no conception of the vastness of the universe, or that stars were other suns, or that the earth was round, etc. It is very understandable that they wrote the story as it appears today, with God creating for six days and then resting. And somehow much of it reflects the actual events that occured in evolution. All the waters were gathered into one place. Early man was an herbivore. (I have gone into this before at length and wont repeat here.)

Paul
Quote:
2Tim. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Peter
Quote:
“Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” (2Pet. 1:20-21, KJV)

Christ
Quote:
Matt. 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Quote:
John 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

2005/6/11 16:53Profile

Quote:
It was written in a culture that we don't really understand very well. It was written in a society that had no conception of the vastness of the universe, or that stars were other suns, or that the earth was round, etc.

Your comments are pure conjecture.

This week on the radio in the UK, there is an item about the noises in space, which are able to be recorded now, supporting the first three verses of Psalm 19. How did they know there was noise in space? Is it possible the earth was so quiet, quite simply, they could hear them? If you are interested in listening to these sounds, the item was on [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/leadingedge.shtml]http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/leadingedge.shtml[/url] The 'Listen again' facility is above the presenter's picture.

Also, might you have an explanation for the use of the word 'circuit' in the following verses?

[b]Psalm 19[/b]
6 His going forth [is] from the end of the heaven, and his [the sun's] [b]circuit[/b] unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

[b]Ecclesiastes 1[/b]
6 The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his [b]circuit[/b]s.

2005/6/12 16:29

Re:

Ron, So, the reason you believe all scripture to be God given and inerrant is because scripture itself tells you so? No arguing against that one is there.

Scripture is the inspired word of God, but as recorded and translated by fallible man. We need to use the brains God gave us and our reasoning abilities, understanding of human cultures and the creation and science (evolving as it is) to interpret these scriptures and what they mean.

This is not to say that they are wrong or incorrect, but that they need to be understood and interpreted in context. And yes, of course, in prayer the Holy Spirit can provide profound insight into the interpreting.

Bubbaguy

2005/6/13 17:26
couch

College Station, TX

Re:

Yikes!

I'm honestly quite disturbed at this - brother I urge you to reconsider before the Lord the point you are making. I've watched too many friends recently fall into the traps of postmodern and "new kind of christian" teaching that demotes the word of God and elevates human ability to "reason, adapt, and figure" for himself how to apply things how he wishes.

My heart is grieved over this...

The human mind without God is as depraved as the human heart, and I pray watchfulness over all of our hearts that we would esteem God's word to be the infallible, inerrant, inspired, immutable, and indestructible words of life!

2005/6/13 17:53Profile
dohzman

F B Meyer

I posted this request here since I observed anything bubbaguys posts seems to get alot of......activity...Does anyone know where I can find a copy of FB Meyers "Shepards Psalm" on the net in PDF? Would appreciate it----Bro. Daryl

2005/6/13 19:18Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Dear Bubbaguy,

Before coming to the Lord, all the brain washing about evolution in my past had convinced me that evolution was true. Once the Spirit bore witness to me that God is real and Jesus died for me, I had to reconsider that this foolish teaching of evolution is not of God.

Buggaguy, don't you think that maybe God created everything as Genesis states and in creating this he created a fossil record and carbon 14 time lines at the same time. Remember Adam was not created a baby but was created an adult man.

Buggaguy, consider that the Word says we walk by faith and not by sight. Should't we believe his Word and not the things we see or that are explained by some unbeliever.

Buggaguy, I realize that you are most likely a believer. By not taking a book that Jesus used as an illustration when speaking about Noah, you are walking a fine line that falls into doubt and unbelief. These are the very thoughts that we are to cast down.

In Christ,
GaryE

2005/6/14 0:08Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Ron, So, the reason you believe all scripture to be God given and inerrant is because scripture itself tells you so? No arguing against that one is there.

And the reason you believe bits of it is because your reason tells you so? This has been our point of contention in every posting. Your reason eliminates Paul, Revelation, and every part that does not fit into your preconceptions.

2005/6/14 4:06Profile

Re: Revelation, interpretation

Ron, At a conference recently a colleage said that "Armagedon Christians" are some of the most dangerous and uncaring people on the planet. Working against the Palestinian people, promoting holy war in the mideast. Their interpretation of the Bible as inerrant leads them to their position which is that the end times are near and they are actually trying to hasten the end, which is no less than incitement for world war. This is decidedly anti Christian, but its what you get if you hold to an inerrant Bible.

Bub

2005/6/14 10:10

Re:

Quote:
but its what you get if you hold to an inerrant Bible

Or, it's what you get from people who misread it?

2005/6/14 11:21

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy