SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : An Announcement in regards to Gospel For Asia / K. P. Yohannan

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 An Announcement in regards to Gospel For Asia / K. P. Yohannan

Saints,

For over a decade we have been avid supporters of the Gospel for Asia organisation and movement that God is a part of. Of recent in the last year there has been alot of controversy in regards the way money was handled and the losing of EFCA certification. Also there has been alot of pressure within India in different ways not just towards GFA (Believers Church) but also many other larger mission organisations and missionaries. Through even some of the worst accusations we have stood with Gospel for Asia. But after considerable pressure from many on SermonIndex and outside we took K. P. Yohannan off from featured sermon speakers. I believe this was a mistake on my part and was condescending to pressures from most a few strong individuals.

The truth of the matter is that most accusations are not fully founded on fact and though there have been wrong decisions Gospel for Asia has made (as all organisations and individuals do make) there has been repentance and humbling on part of the leadership of GFA.

I have seen some individuals glad to see the demise or accusations against brother Yohannan and the mission, this should not be the Christians desire ever. Some have also disagreed strongly with the Episcopal church structure choice by leadership in India and K. P. Yohannan. In the end that is a red herring as many evangelical churches choose this structure model in India and many godly movements such as Methodism (John Wesley), Moravians (Count Zizendorf), Lutherans (Martin Luther) and many others have chosen this style of Church denominational structure.

Actually if one is to read the Moravians and desire something similar in our day, Believers Church in India has many striking similarities.

In the end, SermonIndex, stands with this wonderful Christian organisation and believe God's blessing is with them. Unfortunately some have chosen to defame, slander and accuse without relent, or deep loving prayer.

Even if we adhere to a different form of gathering or different philosophy of Church growth, in the end Jesus Christ is building His Church through all the above and may we not hinder but encourage God's work in whatever form it takes as the Good News of Jesus Christ is proclaimed.

Even though there are question marks on ECFA certification, I firmly believe leadership is doing all they can humbling themselves and seeking to be above reproach (Philippians 2:15).

We have re-featured K. P. Yohannan, and we ask saints to consider to pray for him and the work of Gospel for Asia (Believers Church).

Learn more about Believers Church here: http://www.gfa.org/believerschurch/

And prayerfully consider supporting this mission: http://www.gfa.org/gift/

2016/12/8 19:15Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: An Announcement in regards to Gospel For Asia / K. P. Yohannan

Brother Greg,

This is very encouraging news and brother K.P. has a steep and treacherous path to navigate in bringing the gospel to India, but our God is faithful and is able to perform the impossible through imperfect people especially when they are yielded.
I will definitely join you in prayer, praising God for all the ways He uses this man and ministry to reveal the truth of His spirit to the lost and dying.
I hope and have faith that their struggles will only serve to deepen their desire to live holy and blamelessly, that Christ might be magnified. That His word would go forth into their hearts, taking deep root and bearing much fruit to the glory of His name!

2016/12/8 23:27Profile

Re:

Thank you for the update Greg.

Those who try "To run a rescue shop,within a yard of hell” will come under enormous attacks and accusations and need our prayer and support.
May the Lord continue to do a mighty work.
"For from the rising of the sun even to its setting, My name will be great among the nations, (Malachi 1:11)

2016/12/8 23:49
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Greg,

Thank you for sharing this information. There was quite a bit of negative chatter concerning GFA and Yohannan in particular but I've been impressed that K.P. has quietly refused to publicly defend himself amidst many accusations. Although there may be some truth to some of the accusations, I suspect much is speculation and hyperbole.

You mentioned that there has been repentance on the part of the leadership at GFA, in what form has this taken place?

I must admit that I was taken up in all the negative talk and accusations and I suspended my contributions to GFA but recently I have been reconsidering that decision so I'm glad that you brought this up.

In Christ,

2016/12/8 23:52Profile

Re:

Ron

You may want to prayerfully reconsider your reconsideration.
There are a number of legitimate Christian organizations that are actually doing the work of the Lord in India without guile, deceit, falsehood, obfuscation and controlling methodology. Financial records of charitable organizations must be in the public domain with those who have nothing to conceal. And it must add up.
The ECFA is a good start to examine whether an organization is a member and if not why not.

"For example the EFCA in late 2015 terminated the membership of Gospel for Asia (GFA), one of its charter members.

ECFA believedthat GFA misled donors, mismanaged resources, has an ineffective board, and failed to live up to its promises as an ECFA member. It had been investigating GFA since June.

All told, ECFA found that GFA violated five of the accountability group’s seven core standards. As a result, the ECFA board voted on October 2 to cut ties with GFA. The board said its decision is final.

“This ends Gospel for Asia’s 36-year-long status as an ECFA member,” the council said in a statement."

And nothing has changed since then

2016/12/9 7:12
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
There are a number of legitimate Christian organizations that are actually doing the work of the Lord in India without guile, deceit and falsehood and cult like methodology.

Brother,

Perhaps a big difference in thinking between the Western culture and Eastern is the area of submission to authority. In the West it is cowboy free-for-all and republic thinking and the in East people find their identity submitting to authority and finding themselves in their role of serving or working. In an Episcopal systems also (as well as other reformed churches) the preacher does not have the freedom to just preach where he wants and do what he wants to do. Rather the Church leaders ask and specify for them to do this or that. They trust that God is leading in this. This type of un-questioning submission in the mind of a Western believer could be considered cult like which is probably the problem of the melding of the two cultures together working to reach the lost.

The major problem saints had was the style of Church structure chosen and the above link has K. P. Yohannan sharing about this as well as a free eBook sharing the heart of the Church, belief in evangelical doctrines and their passion for the lost.

We accuse the strongest sometimes that which we do not know.

You are also correct there are other great missions that are doing work in Asia, one I have highlighted many times and continue to do so is Asia Harvest run by Paul Hattaway: http://asiaharvest.org

2016/12/9 7:27Profile

Re:

Greg

On another note having been born in and raised in the roman institution, witnessing its vile man and idol worship and corruption and then seeing the pictures of the believers church in India with the leader enthroned in the midst of his subservient bishops was truly a blast from the past. It was a nauseating and sickening reminder of the religion I left behind when Jesus Christ became my Lord and Saviour. Pride and arrogance and self importance on display. Is this the image
we are supposed to present to the lost and dying world?
No I will stick with Jesus and him crucified.

2016/12/9 7:47
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

I do also question the endorsing of a charity that still has a lot of questions to answer.
Greg, I understand your heart in this and wanting to make sure there is no wrong motives or feelings, but there is so much that needs to be brought into the light. No doubt there has been some slander against GFA mixed in with this, but there are far too many respected people who have highlighted concerns. You yourself have said they made mistakes and there is(?) repentance from GFA/KP. However none of this has been seen or heard as far as I am aware.
We are talking about multiple millions of dollars that are unaccounted for, that cannot be just ignored or swept under the carpet.

I am very cautious who I should be giving money to or endorsing. I prefer the small individual ministries that I know of personally. The large corporate charities are far too big a concern and eat up finances in their own administrations. For example I support a small ministry out of the UK that provides help to believers in Israel (Jewish and Arab churches). I know the couple personally and they are both retired and finance all their own expenses and travel out of their own pockets. All money donated goes to the people in need. The Lord has blessed this ministry and they are currently providing miuch needed financial help to a great number of congregations in the land of Israel.

Maybe regarding the issue of GFA and the believers church in lndia, you could ask our Indian brother Zac Poonen as it would be interesting to have his thoughts on this, as I know he is one who never solicits money or position.

2016/12/9 8:25Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Is this the image
we are supposed to present to the lost and dying world?

Brother,

I understand your thinking. When I was first born again of God's Spirit, I went to a presbyterian Church, it was a large stone cathedral with stone inside and wood overlay and large elevated pulpit. As a new believer coming into this very large building with large stain glass windows spoke to me of God's greatness, grandeur and sense of majesty. Still till this day I can remember hearing Biblical sermons speaking of the greatness of God, Sovereignty of God, and His Grace and all the while the atmosphere of the Church building helping to re-inforce the impact of the message. The pastors wore long robes or stoles and there was a form of liturgy in the service where we repeated phrases and the Lord's Prayer. I still fondly remember the benefit and blessing of such times and the reverence and fear of the Lord it brought, and the respect for His Holy Word.

Today in evangelicalism it is almost the opposite, there are no crosses in churches, a loud band at the front and then a pastor who makes jokes to begin and end his sermon. The service begins with the chatter of people or loud music playing and ends similar. That was a far cry from the silence the service began with in the presbyterian church and at the end of messages there also was a time of silence for 10-20 secs and then people quietly started to disperse.

I am just trying to speak from my experience in an evangelical church where I saw the benefit of the outward and how experiences in assemblies that have little or no outward signs sometimes are lacking greatly in the sense of the fear of the Lord, respect for His Word and sense of silence in His presence.

The Believers Church has taken a step back in the direction of how Churches used to function and the benefits are there. That does not mean they are Roman Catholic. Thought I would just share my experience of the benefit of a liturgical environment that I still do miss at times.

2016/12/9 8:26Profile

The controversy surrounding GFA is not based on unfounded accusations. A summary of the issue is found in the link below. I strongly recommend believers do NOT give money to this organization based on the financial improprieties so far revealed. And these findings are only the ones that the ECFA have been caught doing, red-handed.

Here is a snippet below. (Btw, the ECFA stands for "Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability". If you lose your certification with them it is never a good thing. These people don't play games and they will drop you like a rock if they think something fishy is going on).

- The ECFA letter reported that GFA used $19.8 million in restricted donations to build its headquarters in Carrollton, Texas, just outside of Dallas.

- Those donations were intended for missions work. Instead, the money was sent overseas to one of GFA’s affiliates. The affiliate then returned the money to the United States, without the knowledge of GFA’s board of directors or donors.

- GFA leaders also tried to conceal the source of those funds. The $19.8 million was listed in GFA’s 2013 audit as an anonymous donation.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2015/december-web-only/report-details-why-gospel-for-asia-lost-ecfa-membership.html?share=bqQ3pNgEzJ%2b4%2bgM6uudZI6oQEz8V903G

There are thousands of mission organizations begging for money who are never heard of or promoted by influential websites like SI. GFAs marketing budget is enormous and they never lack...they pull in hundreds of $millions every year! Imagine what small, struggling mission organizations could do with just the $20million that was used to build offices in Dallas for GFA? Let us be better stewards of the resources God puts in our hands.

2016/12/29 14:47

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy