SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Christmas - Why December 25?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
jochbaptist

Re:

MrBillPro;, are you disputing the fact that Christmass is a manmade tradition? Please show me any scriptural evidence.

"constraining them to a debauched, dying world's consideration for one single day of the year"
As you can see, I was mentioning the effect on the world, not Christians, who should know better.

Ps. You might want to read the scripture I quoted. And search scripture to see how the Lord dealt with anyone who took the liberty to start observing anyhing not authorized by Him.

As they say: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Please celebrate Christmas as much as you want. But don't try and squeeze Jesus into it.

2016/12/11 18:53Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Charlie, Linus, and Lucy are the new prophets of the American Church. And the people love it so!

Brethren,

We are all entitled to our views on this subject of Christmas as a valid time of celebration of the incarnation of Jesus Christ. The very day of the 25th being good or bad to celebrate.

But one thing is clear, using sarcasm will not help build constructive dialogue and help serve God's people in this area. So we would ask that conversations forward would be serious, loving and share something constructive to help gently guide or give your opinion.

I personally have been of the mind of not celebrating Christmas for many years and even practiced for a few years not to celebrate any special day including holidays, thus I would simply ignore all national and religious holidays and treat each day exactly the same. As a single brother I saw the value in this as focusing on serving the Lord, doing the task I was called to required discipline and obedience. Yet I have noticed clearly there was certainly no boasting in my practice as at times it left me estranged from many brothers and sisters in the Lord and also did not give me time to contemplate seriously the incarnation, crucfixion, ascension of our Lord.

Of course I believe these three things and have thought deeply at times on them, but to be honest with myself I have not spend week long periods deeply mediating on these 3 very important events in human history. We can be so busy in our obeying the Lord that we do not stop and consider again the great cost it was for God to condensed to men and die for our sins. Heaven itself will be focused on the Lamb of God and His wounds and to not deeply think and worship God for this now makes our christian life here on earth seem somewhat incomplete.

Observing many different types of believers, different denominations and groups that gather in Jesus Name, I have noticed a great value in those that practice the tradition of spending concentered time to mediate upon the Lord's passion. Paul Washer has stated that we should give our lifetime to study the cross of Jesus Christ. I concur with this brother and believe it would not be time wasted as it seems that is what our pre-occupation will be in heaven.

It is clear from reading Church history that early believers set apart time to remember the birth, death and ascension of our Lord. And there was healthy discussion amongst the Church fathers on what exact day the Lord was born. Whether your viewpoint on this issue are you willing to spend considerable time to know our Lord better in understanding the incarnation of the Son of God?

2016/12/11 21:32Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by TMK
"Charlie Brown, you're the only person I know who can take a wonderful season like Christmas and turn it into a problem. Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest." ~Linus Van Pelt

Thank you for my morning chuckle!!

2016/12/12 7:09Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

We all have our on personal opinions on Christmas, and I respect the folks that don't celebrate Christmas, and I respect the folks that do. What I don't respect from anyone is someone trying to put me under condemnation, for celebrating Christmas the way I choose. If anyone here feels it's a sin to celebrate Christmas, I'll tell you like Christ would, he without sin, please go ahead and cast the first stone. As usual this thread has gone beyond what the original poster asked, why Christmas on December 25. We have this same debate every Christmas, and it always ends the same, Merry Christmas to those that celebrate Christmas, and Merry Christmas to those that don't.

2016/12/12 8:55Profile

Re:

I never have to wonder where the term "religious nutcase" comes from. Just go on facebook or come to Christian forums like this one:-)

2016/12/12 9:43
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I was cracking some nuts last night. It's a family Christmas tradition.

The actual date is a non-issue for me. Who cares? Presumably if an orphaned child was found and there was no documentation for its actual date of birth, and the child was adopted, it would not go through life without a birthday. The adoptive parents would come up with a birthday.

Further, I know of no Christian family that gives a speck of a nod to any "pagan" origins of any of the holiday traditions. It is just something that has been celebrated in a certain way for years and years. No one is praying to their Christmas tree or performing fertility rights under the mistletoe. A Christmas tree is simply a beautiful fun thing where a family can reminisce and hang ornaments that in many cases have been passed down through several generations. No, I can't find a bible verse to support that practice. Nor can I find one supporting what we made for dinner last night.

In fact, I do not personally know any Christian that does not celebrate Christmas in a traditional fashion, with some variations here and there because each family has different traditions.

2016/12/12 10:21Profile
rbanks

Re:

Luke 2:10-14 (KJV)
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

2016/12/12 10:25Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

What great news!! I have an idea- let's celebrate it!

2016/12/12 10:48Profile

Re: I was a little harsh

Sorry I should not have said nutcase...I believe the correct term is "crackpot". Religious crackpots:-)

It seems there is something new and controversial everyday for Christians to fight and complain about.

Somehow I figure that if Jesus showed up to my house on December 25th he would have a joyful celebration with his friends and family and be a blessing to all and sundry in whatever form that took. And that would be the end of it for Him. But I am sure we can all disagree on this lol.

2016/12/12 11:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy