SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is happening beneath the headcovering?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is happening beneath the headcovering?

1 Corithians 11:5

But every woman who has her head uncovered while "praying" or "prophsying" disgraces her head, but she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved.

1 Corithians 11:13

Judge for yourselves, is it proper for a woman to "pray" to God with her head uncovered?

Brothers and sisters my understanding of 1st Corinthians 11:1-16 is that the woman in the assembly wears a head covering to show that she is under authority as she is praying or prophesying. If she is a married woman, she would be under authority of her husband. If she is a single woman then presumably under authority of the men who lead the church. Or could be under the authority of her father. I'm only guessing in the case of the single woman.

But it seems to me that based upon the wider context of 1st Corinthians 11 at least the first part. The head covering is an outer representation of an inward reality that is taking place in the sister. That is she is either praying or prophesying. The head covering shows that she is under authority either of her husband or the church and she does this.

Yet it seems that in all of the discussions that take place in this forum regarding the head covering. The focus is on WHETHER OR NOT the sister should wear the head covering. Yet the WHY are the head covering is often neglected. At least I have never seen any serious discussion take place as to why the sister must wear the head covering in the assembly.

Now I humbly and gently ask a question of you who hold to the position that the sister must wear the head covering in the assembly. Do you allow the women who wear the head covering to pray or prophesy in your assembly? Let me humbly and gently repeat my question again. Do you who hold to the position that the sister must wear the head covering allow the sister to pray or prophesy in the assembly?

If you insist that the sister of must wear the head covering in the assembly. But do not allow her to pray or prophesy. May I ask why?

Just some questions I have based on the context of 1st Corinthians 11 the first 11:1-16.

-bbs-

2016/11/21 18:07
TMK

NC, USA

Re: What is happening beneath the headcovering?

What if she wore a sign or badge that says "under authority?"

2016/11/21 18:42Profile

Re:

Todd:

If she wears the sign on top of her head it would cover all the bases.

2016/11/21 18:45

Re:

But brothers the question. Is the sister allowed to pray or prophesied in the assembly if she wears the head covering? This is a question I'm seeking to address.

-bbs'

2016/11/21 18:47
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Arguably if the scripture is taken plainly she SHOULD be able to do so.

If she covers her head and is still not allowed to pray or prophesy in the public meeting, I would say the men are abusing their authority very badly.

2016/11/21 18:56Profile
savannah

bbs,

You stated,

"If you insist that the sister of must wear the head covering in the assembly. But do not allow her to pray or prophesy. May I ask why?"

You've asked a question which, if those holding to the practice of veiling, would honestly face, cannot support the requirement of doing so due to the other doctrine which they hold, namely that the women are to be silent in the assembly.

Those who would be of the anabaptist persuasion (Amish, Mennonite,Charity and the like), and even some reformed congregations, believe that the women are to be silent. This negates by default, any need for her to be veiled.

Ironically, others who allow the women to speak and even teach in the assembly, do not believe in the practice of veiling.

Evidently, for some period of time, under the inspiration of the Spirit, the women did both pray and prophesy. In such cases, the Word of God from Paul commands such women to be veiled.

Note: There's absolutely no warrant from the Scriptures to claim that the passage speaks of silent praying.

2016/11/21 19:09Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!

I actually penned an article on the subject of God's order and one of the main reason if not "the" eternal hidden reason for the headcovering:

The Head Covering And God’s Order

But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. – 1 Corinthians 11:3
The topic of head covering has never been such a heavily debated topic as in the last 50 years of the Church. Scores of liberal thinking, humanistic and cultural ideas have led to the place where people have repudiated the idea that women should wear head coverings. Multitudes of examples have been given on why someone should not wear a head covering but the interesting fact is very few of these arguments address the clear references to the biblical truth of the meaning behind head covering. Everyone is quick to try and dismiss the need for a piece of cloth on the head yet why is this practice even done in the first place? Some will quickly read over the passage in 1 Corinthians and say it is just a requirement for women to pray in that culture or time. But many statements in the passage clearly show there was a deep spiritual meaning and significance behind the practice. It was not simply a requirement of order for prayer but a much deeper reality of the Church, concerning the angels, and the government of God.

In our modern culture the individual’s rights reign supreme and there is a casting off of restraint, an unwillingness to submit to anyone or anything. This is a republic type thinking where each individual is autonomous, free to have their own rules and ideas. As Christians, though Christ sets us free from the old covenant and the power of sin, yet believers are not free to live any way they please or practice Church as they best see fit. Rather God has established leaders, practices, traditions and godly symbols in the Church that we are to follow, as are all who gather in His Name.

Head Covering is one of the New Covenant practices that God has instituted as a symbol of great significance. In fact, in 1 Corinthians 11:6 we find a statement that seems extreme to our modern minds but should at least give us pause, “If a woman does not cover her head, she should cut off her hair…” Again in verse 10 Paul hints at the importance of the practice by clarifying that, “the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.”

In regard to how universally it was practiced among the early believers, Paul the Apostle was emphatic, “we have no other practice–nor do the churches of God” (1 Corinthians 11:16). If someone was wanting their own way and did not want to submit to this, Paul was saying to the Corinthian believers: if you want to be part of the Church this is the way we are all obeying our Lord.

We should realize there is grace is not being forced to do something, but if our Lord commanded it and all the Churches practice it, there is wisdom in the Lord’s timing to do the same. If we carried the same idea over to water Baptism, and someone simply refused to do this, what would you think? You cannot have your own way, if you commit your life to the Lord, the simple clear command is to be baptized. There should be no fighting or arguing over this. To be dipped in water seems just as strange as to wear a piece of cloth covering the head in the eyes of the world.

Now, let us for a moment look at this matter of God’s government and why it is important for not just sisters in the Church to learn this. We clearly see in this head covering portion of Scripture that God speaks to us about His order of headship. God, Christ, man and then woman. This is not about inferiority but rather role and place. When a sister in the Church obeys the Lord and covers her head she is testifying to God and the unseen realm of her willingness to obey God’s order. Just as Jesus Christ obeyed the Father in Heaven and humbled himself (Philippians 2:1-5).

Watchman Nee speaks of this wonderful responsibility and privilege sisters in the Church have:

“It is the sisters who are responsible to have the sign of obedience upon their heads. God specifically requires women to have their head covered when praying or prophesying. Why? Because they ought to know God’s government when they come before Him. In going before God to pray for people or in going before people to prophesy for God, whether in praying or in prophesying, whether in that which goes to God or in that which comes from God, in whatever is related to God, head covering is demanded. The purpose is to manifest the government of God.” 1)
Just as water Baptism speaks of the new life in Christ, Communion speaks of the death of Christ, Head Covering speaks of God’s order. It is not just a rule that brings pressure on a sister but there is a great spiritual reality that is manifested when this is practiced to the Lord. Sisters should feel greatly humbled to be able to represent this before the world and angels as a testimony of obedience. See the great spiritual meaning behind the practice, just like Baptism or Communion, it will set you free on a wonderful journey with the Lord to see really why this practice is there. God has a significant role for each part and member in the body of Christ and only as a whole can we fulfill God’s eternal purpose (Ephesians 3:11).

from: http://www.headcoveringmovement.com/articles/the-head-covering-and-gods-order

2016/11/21 19:26Profile
savannah

Re: your article

Greg,

In light of your article, and the strong stand you take regarding this practice, why do you promote women preachers and teachers who'd be out of God's order according to your own view on this issue?

Please clear this up as it appears contradictory.

2016/11/21 20:13Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
In light of your article, and the strong stand you take regarding this practice, why do you promote women preachers and teachers who'd be out of God's order according to your own view on this issue?

I am not dogmatic on the issue meaning that I would not ever dis-fellowship on this and also I am very glad to even hear a sister sharing who is anointed of God or called of God. We can be so right we can become wrong. We can always learn from others and sometimes those who seem to look the best and have all the right things in order on the inside are full of unreality and sin.

I am glad to believe what I do about headcoverings and do believe it is good to share this with others, but do not want to exclude or hurt others in the process.

There are other things that are more important such as the blood of the precious son of God shed for all true believers.

2016/11/21 21:52Profile

Re: Greg

Brother if I might respectfull ask. In light of the context of 1 Corithians 11:1-16. Would you allow a sister to pray or prophesy in the public assembly if she wore the head covering?

-bbs-

2016/11/22 6:29

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy