SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Vain Amusements and Worldly Entertainment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Alan L. Barrow: "Man of God."

I am not aware of any time in the 20th (and probably every century) where a majority, or even a significant minority, of Christians have lived to the ideal this article describes.

Either they are not getting the message, the HS is not convicting, or the HS is convicting and he is being ignored.

Does God intend every Christian to be a Tozer or a John the Baptist or a Leonard Ravenhill?

I have no idea.

2016/8/27 10:37Profile
Theophila

Re:

Dear brother,
What the Lord intends is in 1 Corinthians 1:2....every believer is called to be a saint, sanctified unto the Lord.

Can you imagine what Sunday service would be like if we all took our callings as sanctified vessels of the Most High seriously?

OTOH, imagine if an "ordinary deacon" called Stephen in Acts 6:5, had wondered if all the saints were supposed to be like Peter, James and John? Verse 8 may never have happened.

I don't know about you but my experience has been less exposure to entertainment, generally correlates with increased spiritual sensitivity.

2016/8/27 14:16Profile

Re:

Imagine what our Monday through Saturday walks would be like, too.

2016/8/27 15:25
forrests

Re: TMK - Man of God

Quote:
by TMK on 2016/8/27 7:37:07

I am not aware of any time in the 20th (and probably every century) where a majority, or even a significant minority, of Christians have lived to the ideal this article describes.

I don't understand what you are getting at, but I hope you aren't trying to undermine the weight of the word of Christ or the truth contained in the article by appealing to the existence of carnal Christians and false professors...?

I do not see anything in the NT that excuses believers from striving for holiness and godliness...nor do I see any real class system of Christians in the revealed will of God. Sure, some are carnal but that is not the will of God. Some are babes, but that is supposed to be temporary and they are called to grow and bear much fruit.

There are elders and deacons, but it seems to me that those are simply the more mature believers, but this does not mean that God expects or desires that brothers and sisters that aren't elders or deacons are excused from being holy, godly, mature or bearing fruit...

After reading my bible (especially the OT), I don't find it hard to believe that men (even God's covenant people) do always resist the Holy Spirit...

2016/8/27 17:32Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I was just telling the truth. What "the church" has been doing for the last few hundred years ain't working.

2016/8/27 17:43Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I love T. A. Sparks. His writing is so full of truth. I tried listening to him and could not do it. It was like listening to paint dry, but words leap off of the page when he writes.

I find nothing in Sparks article that is inconsistent with Biblical Christianity. Our concern for Godliness in our own lives, to be like Jesus, should be the driving force behind every decision we make. We are flesh. We don't always get it right. Praise God for grace and forgiveness. But we are to passionately pursue the one who has called us to glory and virtue. We are to take the exhortation of the NT writers to holiness seriously and allow the Holy Spirit to transform us as we seek to obey God in every area of our lives. Everything else is secondary and flows out of our relationship with God.

I don't think we totally understand Romans 6 and Gal. 2:20. I no longer live my own life. I died to myself and I now live for, to, and through Him, or more appropriately I think, I now live BY Him or He lives through me. I voluntarily gave up my right to make my own decisions and plot my own course. I gave up my right to royally mess up my life and submitted myself to Him. To the degree that I can learn to allow Him to live unhindered through me, then I can live to His standard of holiness. Obviously I did not say that I would ever attain unto this. I am made just a righteous as Him, but my growing in holiness will never stop until I am glorified at His return. Then I will have attained. But I press in and strive to allow him to have more of me.

2016/8/27 17:51Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Todd I totally get what you're asking and can answer honestly.....No.

There were, are and will continue to be (this side of heaven) sanctified saints who are at varying levels of maturity in a host of dif areas.
The scriptures are quite clear on this when one has an honest eye to read with.
Having said this, the holiness preachers are and always (I imagine) will be my favs and there's a need in these days for exhorting, admonishing, encouraging and rebuking. Unfortunately in a digital forum where we're only known by how we choose to present ourselves, which like most forms of social media, are at best a willful misrepresentation of the whole truth of a person and as such can and do create unreal avatars of what we hope to be or wish we were but aren't quiet there yet...

This I learned from scripture (spirit) and experience of godly peoples (spirit)- the more conformed to the image of Christ one is, the more loving and less likely to throw rocks or even be presumptuous regarding another persons walk. Rather they are ever increasingly dependant on the Lord and more often than not encourage others to be so as well:)

Zeal/passion is a good thing,... but zeal without discipline is a dangerous thing-

ie; salt is a combination of sodium and chloride. When seperate both of these elements can be harmful even poisonous,... So it is with truth and love. When seperate from love truth can be very harmful just as apart from truth love can be very unstable and naive. But just like with sodium and chloride, when both love and truth are present they have a stabilizing and preserving affect that gives much by bringing out the flavors hidden within:)
But if they become unbound from one another and lose their savor.... Well you kno the rest ;)

2016/8/27 18:21Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Sweet post Fletcher.

Just so no one misunderstands me- I am in 100% agreement that we are called to holiness and must pursue same as it is never automatic.

But when 90% of the Church does not exhibit the lifestyle laid out in the Sparks article, it means the Church has failed miserably in getting this message across.

I am going through something of a spiritual funk myself that I have been trying to shake for about 6 months and it is not going away quietly. This may be flavoring some of my posts so take them with a grain of salt. And say a prayer for me if it comes to mind.

2016/8/27 18:58Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: brother Todd

Honestly I can relate somewhat to your general disposition regarding the present day "church" and by contrast what the scriptures plainly teach... I wonder sometimes if the bible is actually read and studied or just (cherry picked) used to justify a sort of pragmatic humanism. It befuddles me and at the same time gives occasion to pray/intercede.

I've seen many of not most saints go thru "dry seasons" over the years and it seems to me to be part of the Lords refining process in purifying His people. Much like in the refiners fire, there are periods of intense albeit controlled heat being applied but those are always followed by a cooling period where by the substance is strengthened so as to be able to withstand further refining without destroying the thing itself.

So maybe it is as such with you dear brother-

A "trick" I learned from the beautiful man whom discipled me,...
"Give thanks to the Lord for it" and you'll find out real quick just how near He is to you and that He is faithFULL to bring to completion the work which He Himself began in you+:)

2016/8/27 20:34Profile

Re:

"I've seen many of not most saints go thru "dry seasons" over the years and it seems to me to be part of the Lords refining process in purifying His people. Much like in the refiners fire, there are periods of intense albeit controlled heat being applied but those are always followed by a cooling period where by the substance is strengthened so as to be able to withstand further refining without destroying the thing itself."

Such an important topic, perhaps you could start a new thread on this brother Fletcher?

2016/8/27 22:52

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy