SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Vain Amusements and Worldly Entertainment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Wow!! Brother David, that blessed my socks off, thank you so much for taking the time to post that.

2016/8/24 21:12Profile
forrests

Re: Greg and dfella

Greg, I am encouraged and strengthened to hear you defend holiness and the "old paths". Thank you for pasting the statement from the SI "About" page. I was beginning to wonder if I was the odd man out. Now I feel that these types of exhortations are agreeable to SI. Thanks.

And dfella, thank you for pouring your heart out. I hope to glean a bit of the fruit of this brother's life through your words. You are truly blessed to have had such a man of God to walk beside for a time. Perhaps you could introduce me to him one day. ;) Thanks for sharing that.

2016/8/24 21:19Profile
mama27

Re:

Forrests, I have really appreciated your posts. Please don't stop posting....

2016/8/24 21:30Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I don't think there is anyone here that don't appreciate everyone's post to some extent, if not we should. What seems sad to me here sometimes is, we're picking apart the Bible, we can't turn the Bible into a buffet, especially when we don't preach grace. Sometimes we just minimize the importance of God’s saving Grace in our lives by not thinking about it, by not giving God glory for it, by not talking about God’s grace in our lives. So we talk about our favorite baseball team, we talk about how awesome our yard looks, we talk about the upcoming [who knows what].

All that is fine and good,unless we don’t talk about the grace of God that actually brought our salvation, that gave us a new identity,and showered us with a new view of life.

When we don’t do that, we are in danger of doing what the Galatians did, nullifying the grace of God.

I think one of the truest statements I've ever heard from any pastor was, when I heard one say one time "you haven't ever been beat up until you've been beat up by a Christian"-Adrian Rogers. That's a very powerful statement.

2016/8/24 21:47Profile

Re: dfella

David,
That was beautiful, just beautiful...one of the most wonderful things I have ever read on this forum. Thankyou!!!

2016/8/24 22:30
forrests

Re: mama27

Quote:
Forrests, I have really appreciated your posts.

Thank you so much for making that known to me. I am very blessed and encouraged by it. God bless you for that cup of cold water.

2016/8/24 22:41Profile

Re:

Forrest,
I do appreciate your posts and your heart, I really do. I believe like you that we are to pursue holiness, without which no one will see the Lord. And we should. You should and you should not let up in that pursuit in any way.

As long as a person does not believe that their pursuit of holiness actually makes them better than anyone else then they should continue in these good works. And as long as they do not believe that obtaining said holiness makes them acceptable before God, then their efforts are not dead works.

The problem with many within the church is that they fall into these errors of dead works. They believe wrongly that they are better than others because they have cleansed their garments a little more thoroughly than another brother. And they are also confused by thinking that their personal holiness is the same thing as the righteousness of Christ that is credited to their account by faith in Christ Jesus.

I believe that personal holiness is something that we pursue as the Lord gives us light, not something that we pursue because so and so says so. The key is "as the Lord gives us light". Sometimes we are given light on certain things and there comes great joy in following the Lord in obedience...including entertainment and leisure. But in so many areas this is a subjective thing, it really is something that the Holy Spirit must show to each person. Some people are so distant from the light that they cannot see any problem with watching filthy R rated movies. Some have more light and do not watch these movies but spend every night in front of their television sets. Is this sinful? Will they lose their salvation over these things? I doubt it, but the point is that until they get light on this we must not judge them and try to be their personal Holy Spirit about every facet of their lives. Sure, if the Lord prompts us to bring something up then we should speak to them, but that in and of itself is something we must wait on the Lord about before we open our mouths and try to "fix them".

Because if we attempt to fix everyone around us from pursuing vain amusements, who is to say that the things we personally do are not also vain amusements? Hobbies, vacations, taking our kids out for ice-cream, surfing the internet, readying the news etc etc. You get the point.

2016/8/24 22:55
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I think a lot of the problems when posting on forums is, is this person practicing what their preaching, unless we've met each other we have no clue. I trust that most everyone here does practice what they are preaching, but I have no proof other than what they say in their posts. I think if we all personally knew each other, and knew how this person lives, it would help us all be more passionate towards one another. When I read posts here that strike my attention, I'm opened minded enough to to accept some of their information and put it to work in my life, but what I won't do is be lead by man, I am totally lead by the Holy Spirit and no one will ever change that. I would just like to know why more don't preach grace here, should we just be preaching part of the word, are all of the word?

2016/8/24 23:38Profile
savannah

Re: Grace teaching us

What the Grace of God teaches us;

Titus 2:11For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, 12Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ; 14Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify to himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

15These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise you.

2016/8/25 0:45Profile
forrests

Re:

Quote:
I would just like to know why more don't preach grace here, should we just be preaching part of the word, are all of the word?

This is a thread with a particular topic.

2016/8/25 0:54Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy