SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Vain Amusements and Worldly Entertainment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Awesome!

2016/8/24 9:05Profile

Re:

forests

The C. H. Spurgeon quotes you posted are excellent. Thank you.
On the other hand the the approval of the religious masses will not be forthcoming in this place (except for a few) or with most other religious types as you can well attest to. Keep up the good work!

2016/8/24 9:09
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

I agree that you are doing great stuff on here Forrest!

"Let us encourage one another to love and good works, the more as we see The Day approaching!"

Blessings,

2016/8/24 9:15Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Travis wrote:
"If I were a person who watched two hours of Andy Griffith on television a night,"

A man after my own heart- but I agree 2 hrs a night would be going overboard.

2016/8/24 12:27Profile

Posting on SI could be vain amusement

Isn't possible that posting on SI could be a vain amusement?

2016/8/24 12:44
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Posting on SI could be vain amusement

Touché, tuc.

2016/8/24 12:49Profile
forrests

Re: Posting on SI could be vain amusement

While it may be a lot of (not very good) things, I wouldn't call it "amusement" (if even perhaps "vain").

It is thoughtful by nature and doesn't seem to fit in to the meaning and definition that either I, or google, or the preachers I am quoting intend.

While there may be harsh words, error, offenses and self indulgence in SI posts, it is hard to believe that it is altogether vain - meaning it has no possibility of (spiritual/eternally or even temporally) truly benefiting either the poster/writer or others that read the posts.

What I mean by "vain amusement" (and I believe the preachers I cite do as well, and I perceive is the general sense of the dictionary definition of it) is time spent on things that do nothing to advance the glory of God and adds nothing to the person or others which truly serves their actual well being (mostly in a spiritual sense, but natural as well), and is totally unessential and is a waste of substantial amounts of time, and very likely has a corrupting effect on the one practicing it... and is done for no other purpose than to obtain some sensual/fleshly pleasure and to entertain and occupy ones thoughts so that they are relieved of the duty of guiding and employing them themselves...

This is what I mean by "vain amusement" - so while posting on SI can very well be self indulgent, self glorifying/seeking, a waste of time, an addiction, and many other things if one is not able to hold and handle it in the grace of God and with self control; it is hard to categorize SI posting as "vain amusement" using this definition (which is the one I assumed all along, even if I didn't articulate it very well heretofore).

2016/8/24 13:07Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

After reading this thread I'm afraid to even go outside, some kid might kick a football into the streets, and well there goes my mind focusing on something beside, the word and prayer. Could someone please start a thread on what us imperfect Christians might be allowed to do under grace?

2016/8/24 13:22Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

The term "vain" is wholly subjective. Who determines what is a vain amusement? A preacher? A counsellor? Only the Holy Spirit can determine and communicate what is in fact vain and what is not to the inner man. Rest and relaxation is integral to a person's physical well-being and mental fortitude, and how a believer is permitted to relax and rejuvenate by the Holy Spirit is between them and Lord. It is nobody's business to draft a list or determine for another what is vain and what is not.

This is why Christ taught that we should refrain from making judgements based upon exterior observations, but judge according to righteousness. Since our righteousness is of Christ, and not of our own distinguishing, we must adopt His mindset -- which is to judge no man or woman according to the flesh. It is the religious who habitually judge according to appearance, as when the Son of God was judged to be a drunkard and glutton based upon exterior observation. Or the Pharisee judging the prostitute's motive who dare touch the feet of Jesus in the flesh. We only see the tip of the ice above the surface, but God alone knows the 99.9 percent hidden reality.

2016/8/24 13:27Profile
forrests

Re:

Quote:
by TMK on 2016/8/24 9:27:21

Travis wrote:
"If I were a person who watched two hours of Andy Griffith on television a night,"

A man after my own heart...

A man after your own heart? Your heart is Adny Griffith? Nothing against him and his show...but that is where your heart is? That's a little disheartening to hear, brother...

Don't you long for and seek to have the experience and pleasure of the fullness of joy in Christ and the presence of God to the point that you are not only spoiled for mere entertainment - but that you would fear losing the joy and presence of God by partaking of things of a baser sort as described below?

Quote:
""...my eyes have seen the King in His beauty this morning, and I have had so sweet a sense of fellowship with the Lord Jesus that I dare not go to look upon any spectacle lest I should lose the present enjoyment which now engrosses my soul."

"I think you and I will have felt the same thing, in our measure, when Christ has manifested Himself to us. What? Look on vanity, my Lord, when Your pierced hand has touched my heart? What are the grandest buildings of this world, with all their pomp of architecture, compared with You, You Great Foundation Stone, you Chief Cornerstone, elect and precious? What is the music of this world, with all its swell and roll, compared with Your name, Immanuel, God With Us."

Isn't Jesus your heart? Isn't pleasing Him your heart? I'm not trying to hurt or slander you - or have a "gotcha!" moment...but they are your words...and as much as I want to write "I trust that Jesus is your heart, and that you are just joking" - they are your words and I don't have that assurance.

I personally wouldn't even jokingly imply that "my heart" was Andy Griffith (or his show) or that to like him and/or his show could be said to make one 'a man after my own heart'...

Father, let that never be said of me...and you know while it may not be amusement, I have my own vices and indulgences (sweets and food) that I, too, need to lay down for Your glory and by Your grace. Please make me the man that I wish to be, in Jesus - and then some! This will only happen at Your Gracious Hand. Amen.

2016/8/24 13:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy