SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : In the Shadow of His Cross...Our Persecuted Brothers and Sisters

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Frank

Agree with your thoughts my brother. Not sure who it was that made the statement. I was told it might have been Josef Tson. But I think the author was attempting to illustrate a point. Namely those who follow Christ in persecution are more likely to stand. They have to stand. As the only alternative would be to fall away.

We know those in persecuted nations who follow Jesus have counted the cost. As Bonhoeffer would say there is no cheap grace. Those in persecuted lands have weighed their decision. And they are willing to follow Him even unto death.

Likewise we in America live in an age of easy believism. It is easy to follow a Jesus who does not require a cross to carry. But then these are the ones who will not stand when the cross requires them to lay down their lives.

Simply my thoughts brother from the shadow of his cross.

2016/6/20 11:03

Re: Monday Evening, Junev 20, 2016

... But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me and I to the world... Galatians 6:14

There's a true story about a man and his beloved wife and two children who converted to Christ in northern India. This man had been part of a headhunting tribe. And the gospel had reached him through Welsh missionaries. Touched by the Holy Spirit the man and his family embraced the Lord Jesus. Infectious in their newfound faith they begin sharing Jesus to their friends and neighbors. Soon opposition begin to arise against the man. And eventually the man and his family were brought before the Village square. They appeared in front of the village chief.

The village chief angrily demanded that the man renounce his newfound faith in Christ. Or something bad would happen to his children. The man looked at the two sons that he loved dearly. But he knew in his heart that he could never renounce Jesus. Thus the man begin to sing these words,

I have decided to follow Jesus.
No turning back.
No turning back.

The chief became angry and ordered the archers the kill the man's sons. The arrows flew. The children's bodies were filled with arrows. They had departed into the presence of Jesus.

The chief then demanded that the man renounce Christ. Or his wife would suffer the same fate. The man looked at his beloved wife. She looked at him. They both understood that Christ could not be renounced. Then the man began to sing these words,

Though none go with me still I will follow.
No turning back.
No turning back.

The chief became more enraged and ordered the archers to take the man's life down. Eventually the arrows flew and the man's beloved wife was ushered into the presence of Jesus.

The chief angrily told the man to renounce Christ or he would suffer the same fate. The man looked at his family riddled with arrows. But became more resolved in his heart that he could not renounce his Lord. He then sang these words,

The cross before me, the world Behind me.
No turning back.
No turning back.

At this point the village chief was utterly stunned. Here was a man who laid down everything and would not deny his God. He would not deny his Christ. Something pierced the chief's heart. Reports later indicated that the chief convened the whole village. Because of the sacrifice of this one man and his family. The whole village turned to the Lord Jesus Christ.

This is the history of one of our most beloved hymns. I did not realize that this hymn was born in the blood of the martyrs.

... Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit...John 6:24

... The blood of the martyr is the seed of the church... Tertullian, Early Church Father

In the greek the word "martyr" means "witness".

From the shadow of His cross.

2016/6/20 17:09

Re: Tuesday Morning, June 21, 2016

... There are no limits to where prayer can take us. We can go anywhere in the world. There are no borders to cross, no visas to get, no crowded airports, and no jet lag. No place is too remote or off-limits. We can go anywhere in the spirit our God leads us... Colin Scott, Prayer Coordinator for Global Recordings.

The one thing we hear from our persecuted brothers and sisters, the one request they make more than anything else, is please pray for us. And their prayer request is not that they escape their trials. But oftentimes their request is that they will remain faithful to the Lord Jesus Christ in the midst of their trials.

The last few months I have been using a prayer card from Voice of the Martyrs which gives 10 ways to pray for persecuted family. Lord willing, in the next 10 days I pray to share one point each day.

1. Pray that persecuted believers will sense God's presence.

... Make sure that your character is free from the love of money. being content with what you have for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU NOR FORSAJE YOU," so that we confidently say, "THE LORD IS MY HELPER I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL NAN DO TO ME...Hebrews 13:5-6

... I SAW THE LORD ALWAYS IN MY PRESENCE. BECAUSE HE IS IS AT MY RIGHT HAND I WILL NOT BE SHAKEN...Acts 2:25

There have been accounts where imorisoned brothers and sisters have shared visions of Jesus being with them in their prison cell. There have been accounts where brothers and sisters have shared an intimate presence with Jesus Himself. Richard wurmbrand records having visions of heaven in his jail cell. With other imprisoned believers it is simply the quiet presence of Jesus Himself that sustains them.

Let us remember this day our brothers and sisters that are in prison. Let us remember this day our brothers and sisters that are undergoing sufferings. Let us pray that in the midst of their trials they will have that deep abiding presence of Jesus Himself.

2016/6/21 5:10

Re: Tuesday Evening, June 21, 2016

... but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth...Acts 1:8

... Now when they heard this, they were cut to the quick, and they began gnashing their teeth at him. But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; but they cried out with a loud voice and covered their ears and rushed at him with one impulse. When they had driven him out of the city, they began stoning him, and the witnesses laid their robes at the feet of a young man named Saul. They went on stoning Stephen as he called on the Lord and said, " Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Then falling on his knees he cried out with a loud voice, " Lord do not hold this sin against them." having said that, he fell asleep...Acts 7:54-60

When one reads the testimonies of those who have been martyred for Christ there is something sureal about the accounts. It is almost as if the martyrs were some type of superhero. They were able to face their impending death with probably no fear on their part. Yet nothing could be further from the truth. Those who were martyred for their faith were very human. And they had to work through crucifying their flesh. They had to work through laying it all down for Jesus.

A few days ago I shared the story of Leina in Syria. She had to work through laying down her life. She had to work through laying down the life of her beloved husband. And the most difficult thing any mother would have to do his work through laying down the lives of her children.

Yesterday I shared how a man touched by the Gospel of Jesus had to witness his own children and wife being martyred before his own life was taken. One can only imagine the agony this husband and father felt seeing his own family martyred before he was.

There's nothing superhuman in the martyrs. But it is Who they have Who helps them walk through the martyrdom. That person is the Holy Spirit.

I have already shared in Acts 1:8 how Jesus told his disciples that they would be baptized with the Holy Spirit and have power to be His Witnesses. In essence he was telling them that they would have power to be his martyrs. In the Greek the word martyr means witness. And all of the disciples save one did die martyrs deaths. They became a witness of Christ by becoming the ultimate sacrifice and laying down their life for Christ. But they could only do this by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I have mentioned about the 21 believers who were martyred in Libya a little over a year ago. These dear saints died with the name of Jesus on their lips. They did not try to run or plead for their lives. But the Holy Spirit enabled them to accept their death with dignity. They accepted their death with the name of Jesus on their lips. Knowing that they would pass from this life into eternity.

We all are familiar with the story of Corrie Ten Boom. How she told her father that she didn't think she would have the strength to be a martyr. But her father asked her when did he give her the money to buy the ttain ticket to go to Amsterdam. Corrie responded when we get on the train. Of course her father told her that God would then give her the strength to be a martyr. Corrie was never martyred. But she did receive strength to endure the German prison that she was in during World War II. All because she had the Holy Spirit in her.

Persecution ministries estimated every 5 minutes someone is martyred for the Lord Jesus Christ. I have heard of courageous teams that are working in Islamic nations in the Middle East. The reports indicate that they have lost dozens of ministry workers in 2015. Some of these reports are never reported so as to not jeopardize the work that goes on in these nations. But ministry leaders have said that many of their co-workers and martyred by Islamic jihadists. The only way they endure the martyrdom is the power of the Holy Spirit.

Let us remember our brothers and sisters in our prayers in persecuted nations. Let us remember to pray that they be filled with the Holy Spirit to endure the persecutions and martyrdom that they face. But let us also pray that we be filled with the Holy Spirit on a daily basis. Where as our brothers and sisters need the Holy Spirit to face the trials that they are in. We for sure will need the Holy Spirit to face the storm that will soon come upon our nation.

2016/6/21 20:13

Re:

Bear,
I have a book you should read when you get a chance. It's from Dr Erwin Lutzer (Moody) called, "The Cross in the Shadow of the Crescent". It's very informative about Islam & their self proclaimed war/jihad with Christianity & the west, but also very evangelistically focused on what a right Biblical response should be from us & how we should seize the opportunity to be witnesses for Jesus & not give way to fear or hate. I think you would probably like it.
God Bless,
Jeff

2016/6/21 21:38

Re: Jeff

Thank you brother. Lord willing I will surely check it out.

2016/6/21 22:23

Re:

Sorry, did not catch that this was a devotional thread. Have removed my question.

2016/6/21 23:50

Re: Wednesday Morning, June 22, 2016

2. Pray that the persecuted brothers and sisters will feel connected to the greater body of Christ.

... But now there are many members, but one body... 1st Corinthians 12:20

... And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it and if one member is honored; all the members rejoice with it.

The second way we are encouraged to pray for the persecuted church is to pray that they feel connected to the greater body of Christ. Many times the plea of our persecuted brothers and sisters is please do not forget us. Please remember us in your prayers. Please pray that we will not deny Christ in the midst of our sufferings. Please pray that we remain faithful to Him. Notice these prayers are not for deliverance from their trials and tribulations. But that the persecuted remain faithful as they carry the cross in the midst of their sufferings for Jesus.

But I would like to add to the above request this also... Pray that WE IN AMERICA would feel connected to the persecuted church.

... Remember the prisoners, as the one in prison with them, and those who are ill treated, since you yourself also are in the body...Hebrews 13:3

There is a disconnect between the American church and the persecuted church. We in America live in this bubble as if we're insulated from the realities of those who are shedding their blood for Jesus Christ. We are insulated from the realities of those who are in a death camp in North Korea or a shipping container in Eritrea.

There's a deafening silence on the part of the North American Church regarding our persecuted brothers and sisters in the rest of the world. This is why this thread has been put in this forum to be their voice.

I expect the likes of the American government to be silent on the issue of Christian persecution. But we as believers in Christ can never be silent. And the American Church must never be silent when two-thirds of our family around the world are being persecuted. If nothing else we certainly must never be silent before God in our prayers.

... now will not God bring about justice for his elect, who cry to him day and night, and will He delay long over them?... Luke 18:7

... Silence in the face of evil is evil itself; God will not hold as Guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act... Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Brothers and sisters let us not be silent in our prayers for the persecuted church. Let us be the ones who cry out justice for His elect. Let us pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters.

2016/6/22 6:25

Re: Wednesday Afternoon. June 22, 2016

... At the same time also prepare me a lodging, for I hope that through your prayers I will be given to you...Philemon 1:22

As I think of the above verse I began to wonder how did Paul know that Philemon was praying for him. This was before email or cell phones. Perhaps others may have told Paul that Philemon was praying for him. But I wonder if Paul felt this brother's prayers in his spirit. Do remember that Paul was imprisoned. He probably received few visitors. So is it possible that Paul felt or even heard the prayers of Philemon.

On one of our prayer calls a few years ago a sister shared a story about a North Korean sister. The North Korean sister was one of the blessed few who endured the prisons of North Korea and was able to make her way to South Korea. When she was asked how did she endure the years of imprisonment in the death camps. She said "I heard the prayers of the saints."

In my own personal experience I remember there was a time I was facing a decision. I felt that that a sister was praying for me. A day or two later she confirmed she had been praying right at the time that I was making this decision. I found this to be very encouraging.

The New Testament does teaches a spiritual unity of believers. We saw this in the verses that were posted in this morning's devotion. I believe it is possible that the persecuted do hear our prayers. Or at least sense that they are being prayed for.

Let this be an encouragement to us that we keep praying for our persecuted brothers and sisters. Just as in the case of that North Koreans sister may the persecuted saints hear our prayers as we intercede for them. As Paul would say remember my chains. May we remember the chaains of our persecuted brothers and sisters who indeed are in the shadow of the cross. Dear saints let us keep our persecuted family in our prayers.

From the Shadow of his cross.

2016/6/22 17:45

Re: Thursday Morning, June 23, 2016

3. Pray that our persecuted brothers and sisters will experience God's comfort when their family members are killed, injured, or imprisoned for their witness.

... Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all Comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance so also our comfort is abundant through Christ... 2nd Corinthians 1:3-5

Murdered Pastor and His North Korean Legacy

Pakistani Christians Shot, Family Attacked After He asks for Pay

Catholic Priest Kidnapped in Nigeria Found Dead

Ugandan Evangelistic Preacher who Publicly Debated Muslims killed

The above are just some of the headlines I found on a website that I check on current news regarding the persecuted church. The above headlines are current having occurred within the last 3 weeks or so.

But then there are these ongoing headlines.

50 to 70 thousand Christians Still Imprisoned in Death Camps in North Korea

Approximately 3000 Christians Imprisoned in Shipping Containers in Eritrea, Some for as many as 10 or more Years

Asia Bibi Still Imprisoned in Pakistan. Health is failing. Case Sees No Hope.

I share the above headlines not to be depressing. But the show that our brothers and sisters in restricted nations are sharing in the abundant sufferings of Christ. And this is just the tip of the iceberg above. Only God knows the true depth of the sufferings that our brothers and sisters experience as they carry the cross.

The third way we are encouraged to pray for the persecuted church who carry the cross is to pray that they and their families will know the abundant comfort of Christ.

Dear saints let us pray this day that the persecuted will know the abundant comfort of Jesus in the midst of their sufferings for Him.

2016/6/23 6:23

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy